Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG 31MU97 4K Display not showing 4K on MacPro

Hey there - I just bought the LG 31 MU97 4K Display and the best resolution I can get out of it is 3840 x 2160. Wondering if there needs to be a service update of something similar in order to get the full 4K on the new 2013 MacPro - thanks.

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 6 Core

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 2:18 PM

53 replies

Nov 3, 2014 2:45 PM in response to Spakuloid

You are using Best for Dsiplay in Display Properties?

Per the 4K wiki

4K has become the common name for ultra high definition television (UHDTV), although its resolution is only 3840 x 2160 (at a 16:9, or 1.78:1 aspect ratio), which is lower than the 4K industry standard of 4096 x 2160 (at a 19:10 or 1.9:1 aspect ratio).[2]

Your monitor has:

4096x2160

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-31MU97-B-4k-led-monitor

You might what to try using one of thes apps:

SwitchResX – The Most Versatile Tool For Controlling Screen Resolutions On Your Mac

Display Menu from Mac App Store

Use the display port connection. The HDMI is limited to 30 Hz and you can get 60 Hz from the display port if the monitor supports 60 Hz. Not all do.

The HDMI on the Mac only supports:

You can use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs at the following resolutions and refresh rates via the built-in HDMI port.

• 3840 x 2160 at 30 Hz refresh rate
  • 4096 x 2160 at 24 Hz refresh rate (mirroring is not supported at this resolution)

With OS X Mavericks v10.9.3 or later, the following DisplayPort displays are supported at their default using single-stream transport (SST) at 30Hz.

Nov 3, 2014 4:43 PM in response to lllaass

Yeah I still can't actually get the 4K resolution in the system display preferences area. The best resolution I get is for 3840 x2160 - there is not an option to go higher. i downloaded the trial of SwitchResX and I'll play around with that to see if I can get it to go to 4096.

Best For Display defaults to 1920 x 1080

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Nov 3, 2014 5:17 PM in response to Spakuloid

Many early adopters of 4K displays had to fiddle around with settings ON THE DISPLAY (not just on the Mac) to get DisplayPort 1.2 activated and get best resolution and refresh rates.

The manual does not appear to be available online. If you have a printed manual, check to see if there are special things you need to do to get 4K.(like changing display settings).

Nov 3, 2014 7:36 PM in response to Spakuloid

This screen:

About this Mac > ( More Info) > Report > Graphics & Displays

reports what the display said its capabilities were when the Mac sent it a query. If it is saying 3840 by 2160, you need to convince the DISPLAY that it is larger than that, so that it can tell the Mac.

User uploaded file

You never entered your display name, but it knows the name because it asks the display for its name AND capabilities.

Nov 7, 2014 1:44 AM in response to Spakuloid

I am interested in this monitor, too, and took a look at the German product page (contains more information than the US one, don't know why). Mavericks supports only 3840*2160 and you require Yosemite to get 4096*2160. Additional hint: if you use the Displayport then you should get 60Hz instead of 24Hz.

Nov 7, 2014 7:37 AM in response to lllaass

The problem of this monitor has 17:9 ratio vs 16:9. It only shows 2 native resolution. So what correct resolution for this ratio? Because I have to change the IN DISPLAY SETTING of the monitor from Wide to 1:1 to display the text/image correctly.

I was able to select the 4096 x 2160 resolution on my Mac Mini (holding the Alt Key + clicking the Scaled button);

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

LG 31MU97 4K Display not showing 4K on MacPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.