Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite mail does not save multiple attachments from different emails

Hi.

Before Yosemite, u could download multiple attachments from different emails.

For instance if i would like to download all attachments from an account i was selecting all emails in Mail and then go to

Mail>FIle>Save attachments

I would then indicate the folder i want them saved and that was it.

Now you do the same thing but nothing is saved in the folder..

Any suggestions? Any known way to resolve this?

thank you

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 5, 2014 9:00 AM

22 replies

Jun 10, 2017 6:18 AM in response to anaspap

As per this article : Mail (Yosemite): View, save, or delete attachments

Save attachments

Do any of the following:

Move the pointer over the message header, click the Attachment button User uploaded file, choose Save All or click the name of an attachment, then select where to save the files. Or choose File > Save Attachments.

Drag an attachment to the desktop to save it there.

By default, attachments are saved in the Downloads folder, available in the Dock. You can specify a different default folder if you want: choose Mail > Preferences, click General, then select a folder.

Dec 18, 2014 10:19 PM in response to Mela1987

A window pops out after you clicked 'Save Attachment.' There is a drop down menu under Save As: and Tags:. Make sure you choose Documents and then the appropriate folder you want the file to save to. That should resolve your problem. I had encountered this tiny trouble earlier and sorted this out by myself.

Dec 29, 2014 7:11 AM in response to darthtina

I have registered this bug as 19071688 but it has been already registered by someone else.

darthtina wrote:

This works for one email, but not many for me. This is a huge bug. Please fix APPLE! 🙂

Engineering has determined that your bug report (19071688) is a duplicate of another issue (18112246) and will be closed.

The open or closed status of the original bug report your issue was duplicated to appears in the yellow "Duplicate of XXXXXXXX" section of the bug reporter user interface. This section appears near the top of the right column's bug detail view just under the bug number, title, state, product and rank.

An example of the duplicate section from the bug reporter user interface with your bug and the duplicate bug info is included below:

19071688 "Save all" attachements does not work in Mail

Dec 29, 2014 1:55 PM in response to darthtina

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Mail Feedback

Or you can use your Apple ID to register with this site and go the Apple BugReporter. Supposedly you will get an answer if you submit feedback.

Feedback via Apple Developer

Apr 3, 2015 10:06 AM in response to LLange

Could you be a little more specific? There is no command I can find in Mail that is called "Save All." When I attempted to hold down the option key while choosing "Save Attachments" from the File menu, I got the same behavior as before, which is that nothing is saved from multiple emails with attachments. Similarly, holding down the option key while choosing "Save As" from the File menu does nothing. The command saves the emails' text, but not the attachments.

Jun 11, 2015 12:44 AM in response to anaspap

I was having the same problems too because mail app tried to save files to some unexisting (already deleted) folder.

When I recreated this folder, it worked again.

Check system.log if there is any error like “Error - unable to write attachment” and read detail description there.

You can view system.log in the Console application (Application -> Utilities -> Console.app)…

Jun 19, 2015 1:59 PM in response to anaspap

I have a similar problem. If I have an email with five attachments and try to use the Save All function only one file is saved. I have to manually move each file to the folder on my computer. I can work around by dragging the files from the email to the folder but this isn't very elegant.

Jun 20, 2015 12:05 AM in response to anaspap

A suggested workflow to save multiple attachments from multiple Emails:

1. Select a mailbox (i.e. Inbox) from the Mailbox pane.

2. Sort the messages by selecting "Attachments" from the pop-down menu that appears by clicking the disclosure button at the top of the Messages pane.

User uploaded file

3. Select multiple messages for the attachments you wish to save by holding down the Shift key and clicking for adjacent messages, and holding down the Command key and clicking for non-adjacent messages.

4. Control-click on one of the selected messages (highlighted in blue) and select "Forward"from the contextual menu that appears. Alternatively, press the Command-Shift-F keys.

User uploaded file

5. As an option, you may want send the Email with the attachments at the end of the message. From Mail's menu bar select Edit > Attachments > Insert Attachments at End of Message.

User uploaded file

6. Address the New Message with attachments to yourself, fill in a subject, and send.

7. Open the message when it arrives in your Inbox.

8. Navigate your cursor to the faint horizontal line at the top of the Message viewer until the segmented control fades into view.

9. Click the disclosure button labeled with a paperclip icon and an integer indicating the number of attachments. Select "Save All" from the pop-down menu.

User uploaded file

10. Select a location to save the attachments to from the sheet that slides down. Click the "Save" button.

User uploaded file

Jun 20, 2015 12:29 PM in response to anaspap

Btw, if you prefer not to send the message to yourself a better option might be to save the message as a draft instead and save the attachments from there. Substitute the following for step 6 and 7:

Click the close button on the message:

User uploaded file

Make sure the message's Subject field is filled in for easy viewing in the Messages viewer. Click the "Save" button on the "Save this message as a draft?" dialog sheet that slides down:

User uploaded file

Click the Drafts mailbox in the Mailbox pane. Select the draft message from the Messages viewer, but don't open. Go on to Step 8.

User uploaded file

Yosemite mail does not save multiple attachments from different emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.