Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot login on OS X Server from Windows PC

Hi,

Yesterday I downloaded Yosemite OS to my Mac Mini and installed the newest OS X Server. I activated file sharing via system preferences and attached a 3TB Lacie external harddrive to Mac Mini. I created a user group and a couple of users for my network. I added the users to the group and created a new main folder on the Lacie drive. I went to properties of that folder and checked file sharing for this folder and at the bottom of the properties screen I configured the access priviliges and added the user group with read & write rights. I checked on one of the macs in my network and was able to log in easily with one of the user accounts that is part of the user group. However, on my Windows laptop I'm not able to access the server folder. I go to map network drive and write down \\ip-address\share-name and it prompts for my username and password but it doesn't accept. It just keeps prompting. I'm sure that the login details are correct.

When I open the "Server" application and go to file sharing I can see the shared folder and I have checked "AFP", "SMB" and "WebDav", but no difference there...

It's a Windows only issue. Hope someone can help out, thank you!

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Windows XP

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 3:14 AM

13 replies

Nov 7, 2014 6:15 AM in response to contactpuntweb

I found another post about this.

SMB sharing in Yosemite Server

On your windows machine(s) effected, check the following registry key;

Key "LmCompatibilityLevel" located in directoryHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa, you will find

this is already set to "1", change that from "1" to "3". It doesn't require a reboot and takes effect immediately.

This worked for me too.

Nov 12, 2014 12:38 AM in response to contactpuntweb

This worked! Very strange, but nice to have it working. I'm testing around a bit and now I'm creating folders on my server from my windows laptop. Unfortunately something goes wrong when I try to save files from outside my computer (for instance a website image) to the server. I'm not able to access it. If I save the file on my desktop first and copy it to the server folder, it works just fine... Any thoughts?

Feb 4, 2015 2:20 PM in response to kgbtexasit

We are using a Mac mini as a file server running OSX Yosemite, and are having problems with file permissions between multiple users. We would love to try your suggestion of ignoring file ownership, but when we follow your procedure through the Get Info, the "ignore ownership on this volume" box is not present. Is this because the data folders are on the same (bootable) partition as the operating system? Any thoughts?

Cannot login on OS X Server from Windows PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.