Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27 (Late 2012) Shuts down. #2

I have a LATE 2012 iMac 27".

About a month ago, after very little use the computer started shutting down. It just turns itself off. No given time, just sporadic. After reading tons of other posts on this same issue, I am at a loss as to what the problem is. All the other posts gave POSSIBLE causes and these go all the way back to 2008. I took the computer to the Apple store in the mall and they said they would order a logic board and that because this was a "high end" board, it would be $800. I can't afford that after spending thousands on the unit and cannot find a solution online.There are numerous "guesses" as to what the problem is. RAM, power supply, logic board and a few others. I'm at a loss as to what to do. The computer just shuts down at random.

I have replaced the power chord. Ran power to different sockets, Switched the RAM that it came with around (4 DIMMS) to see if I have a bad module. Ran all the diagnostics that I could find on this site and it says NO PROBLEMS DETECTED. Reset the SMC numerous times, tried to update the firmware but as luck would have it, there is no update even listed on the site for MY MODEL.

Any help would be appreciated.

My Specs:

27-inch, Late 2012

Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
Serial Number xxxxxxx
Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac13,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM131.010A.B05

SMC Version (system): 2.11f14

Serial Number (system): xxxxx

Hardware UUID: 29520205-A76A-54AE-9DA2-4378AADDCF19

iMac

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 1:08 PM

10 replies

Dec 27, 2014 10:46 AM in response to Turnip579

Do you still have this problem? I have (had?) a similar symptom where the computer would shut down and it would take a SMC reset to get the computer to re-start. Annoyingly when I took it back to be repaired (twice) the service centre couldn't find anything wrong and I've been trying to work out what is different with my home set-up compared to there's.

My answer to that was that they always used a wired keyboard and mouse when testing my unit and sure enough, if I turn off Bluetooth on the computer and revert back to a wired system the crashing stops.

Do you use a wired keyboard and mouse? If not, are you able to test your computer with a USB rather that Bluetooth set-up.

This doesn't explain why the problem happened but it might at least give you something to work on.

Mar 23, 2015 1:56 AM in response to Turnip579

I have had the same problem. I took it into the Genius Bar and they replaced the power supply, which fixed the problem for about a month and now it is shutting down again. This seems to be a somewhat common problem with this version of the iMac. They will probably recommend replacing the logic board next for around $1,000. At that point I may just decide to take my losses on this computer. I'm very frustrated as this is my first Mac and I dropped about $3,500 on a fully loaded machine and it looks like it will only last for about two years. I'm not sure if I am in a hurry to replace it with another Mac.

Mar 23, 2015 2:16 AM in response to Turnip579

I have had unexpected shut downs for 3 months. Since December (when the computer was 2 years old aprox.).

As I stated above, after visiting 2 different Genius Bars where they could not fix it, this is what I have accomplished in order to keep using the machine with no shut downs.

I usually had multiple shut downs on a regular day. Sometimes after 2h, sometimes after 7h. When that happened, I needed to unplug the iMac for 15 minutes (I ended up calculating with iOS Timer).

So I though maybe there is a component being charged unexpectedly until the mother board shuts down itself for security. That would explain why changing the Power Supply doesn't work.

Anyway, I decided to connect the iMac to a multiple power socket with a switch. When I'm done working with the iMac, I shut it down and I also switch off the power socket.

Doing that seems to "uncharge" whatever was going on in the iMac as when I come back to turn on both socket and iMac I can work with it for more than 24h.

I've had no shut downs for 3 weeks now. And after having 3-4 shuts downs every day., this is something.

iMac 27 (Late 2012) Shuts down. #2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.