Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac13,2 27" with firmware from 21.5" not seeing the 4 memory bays

Hello,

I have an 27" iMac 3.4Ghz (late 2012) with some memory problem. I want to put 4 memory modules (4x8GB=32GB) but whatever I put into memory bay 3 and/or 4 results in the beeping error after power-on. Whatever the combination is, even with smaller memory modules - it just gives an error if anything is in bay 3 and/or 4.

This made me thinking a bit and I discovered that the EFI I have is from the 21.5" iMac which simply has 2 memory bays... but the problem is apple doesn't even list my 27" late 2012 model on their website and doesn't provide any firmware modules for it at all!

Can anybody help me on that? I need a correct EFI for the 27" late 2012 iMac model.

Apple support send me to the local premium reseller who told me he doesn't have a clue what to do with that... and that they do not have access to the firmwares from apple. So I try here, below is the system report about the iMac I have.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac13,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM131.010A.B05

SMC Version (system): 2.11f14

Serial Number (system): D2*********NMP

Hardware UUID: BE22D41C-1532-572D-9614-A47682C5FCD2

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 5:15 AM

29 replies

Jun 3, 2015 5:37 AM in response to OldGnome

No, i doesn't help.

Because not the type of memory is a problem:

We have 4 bays. I take 2 modules and I put them in bay 1&2 - iMac starts. I take the same modules but put them in bay 3&4 leaving the bay 1&2 empty - iMac gives an error.

I tried many combinations with many types of memory and I concluded that the problem is with the firmware which doesn't work with 4 memory bays. I welcome any other ideas of course thats why I wrote my situation here.

Jun 3, 2015 5:47 AM in response to red.m.aciej

The EFI version you have is listed as an "update" for the late 2012 21.5" imac, it may be the correct version for your imac. We need someone with the same model to post what their version is. I didn't know that it was possible to install the wrong firmware. I'd be more suspect of the ram you're trying to install. It's also possible that your memory slots have failed.

Jun 3, 2015 5:47 AM in response to SeaPapp

The RAM I am putting is the Kingston HyperX HX316LS9IB/8 - and it works when I put 2 of them in the bay 1&2.

I tried also other types, with 4GB, 2GB - all of them work in basically any combination but ONLY in bay 1&2. Touching bays 3&4 sends all the iMac into the error zone.

My model is somewhat strange one and I can believe nobody may have stumbled upon such thing until now... But on the other hand I bought this model to put 32GB of mem inside... it's barely 2 years old model!

Jun 3, 2015 6:36 AM in response to OldGnome

So to clear things up:

any of the 4 memory modules work fine if I populate only bay 1&2. You can see on the system report I posted I have 16GB memory - its the 2x8GB. I tried to put 4 of them together - doesn't work. I try to put some combination like bay 3&4 or bay 1&3 - NOTHING works if ANYTHING is in any of the 3&4 bays. So the bay 3&4 must have something to do with the issue - either its a hardware failure of the bays (has anybody HAD a problem like this because I have never ever had in my very long experience...) or its a EFI which thinks it has only 2 bays (like on the 21.5" iMac).

Like i say I also have hundreds of other memory modules of different types and speeds and they all work fine only in bay 1&2 - whatever touches bay 3&4 makes the iMac stop to work.

The beeps are the "memory failed test".

Jun 3, 2015 6:51 AM in response to red.m.aciej

iMacs don't use hundreds of types or speeds of memory, they use one exact speed and type. There are only a few manufacturers that make their ram to exact specifications, the others use a close is good enough approach, that doesn't work in macs. You have one of two problems, failed or more likely incompatible ram, or failed hardware. For the hardware problem you're going to have to take it in for service. As far as ram is concerned have you put only the ORIGINAL Apple ram in and tested? If it works with that then you are using incompatible ram, if it doesn't you have a hardware problem. As I said before I don't believe it's possible to install incorrect firmware.

Jun 3, 2015 7:43 AM in response to SeaPapp

But ALL of these hundreds that I tested DO WORK in this iMac. As long as I put them in bay 1&2 and leave bay 3&4 empty.

I also have the original 2x8GB Hynix which came from the factory and they also work only in the bay 1&2.

I believe that the firmware is supposed to work for both 21.5" and 27" version of late 2012 iMac - but who can guarantee there is not an error in the firmware since I have a rare made-to-order configuration. And there is NO firmware at all at Apple site - 27" iMac13,2 doesn't exist at all for Apple.

Jun 3, 2015 7:47 AM in response to red.m.aciej

My original post stands, it is the correct thing to do. Put the original RAM that came with the computer back in the original slots, install either RAM purchased from Crucial or OWC and your machine should work perfectly.

iMacs are VERY sensitive to using high quality RAM and the correct RAM specifications. If you vary from the above instructions, there is a fair chance you will experience problems like you are having now!

Jun 3, 2015 9:07 AM in response to Csound1

iMac 27 (Late 2012) Shuts down. #2

As you may see in this thread, the same iMac with the same firmware DOES work with 4x4GB memory.

So at least the firmware has been proven to be correct and I can abandon this lead.

Still it only proves that 16GB is supported. I will try the same 4x4GB configuration tomorrow from another iMac I have - to address the memory quality issue.

Like I say the iMac WORKS with 2xKingston memory so it would be actually surprising why 4 of the same modules would cause an issue. And all memory modules I tried I took from working iMacs so they are tested... (I tried 2GB, 4GB, 8GB modules from 4 different producers)

But I will return to the issue again with other modules tomorrow. Any more ideas welcome (for example how to verify if there is a damaged memory bay without opening the iMac?).

iMac13,2 27" with firmware from 21.5" not seeing the 4 memory bays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.