Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No message forwarding option under Messages settings

Hello,

I am trying to get iOS / Yosemite message continuity working (iOS 8.1 and fresh install of Yosemite).

There is no field for "message forwarding" under my Message settings, even if I toggle iMessage on and off.

Upon investigation, some people have fixed this issue be enabling service location for Messages, but even more frustration, Messages does not show up under the list of apps in Service Locations settings!

Does anyone know how to fix either of those problems.

Thanks

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 6:31 PM

36 replies

Mar 27, 2017 2:56 AM in response to Joleen Horine

I just had the same issue and this is how I got "Text Message Forwarding" to appear in my settings.

I first updated the iOS on my iPad since I was using an earlier version than 8. You have to be at least using iOS 8 for "TMF" to work.

I then followed the instructions on my iPad to get it set back up. The problem I had there was it kept saying it could not activate my Apple ID for iMessage and FaceTime. I looked in the forum and found a simple solution for that. I turned my iPad off for a few minutes then turned it back on. I was able to sign in to my iCloud account then with it actually activating. After that, I had to also sign in to iMessages.

Once I had done all that, the "TMF" option appeared in the settings on my iPhone under Messages.

I am not sure, but I think it does not appear for some people because they have not set their iPad up yet. Once, "TMF" shows up on your iPhone, it will list the other devices set up for iMessages that are on the same iCloud account as your phone. Therefore, it makes sense to me that the "TMF" option would not be there if some other device had not already been set up for iMessages.

I already had my iPad set up for iMessages, but decided to use the Continuity option so that I can receive text messages other than just iMessages.

Hope this helps!

Aug 13, 2017 11:36 PM in response to DrMeta

I had this happen today while I was sending messages from my Mac. Suddenly it no longer worked, I could only send/receive using the phone, and the Text Message Forwarding option on the phone had disappeared. Turns out it had to do w/my weird new wifi extender that now has two bands (2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz) with separate SSIDs. I was using the 5.0 that no longer had the Text Message Forwarding option. When I switched to the 2.4, it was there..and then when I went back to 5.0 it re-appeared.

Just turning off wi-fi/turning it back on didn't do the trick, but it might work for those who don't have two to choose from.

Nov 9, 2014 2:10 PM in response to DrMeta

Hi there DrMeta,

You may find the information about SMS forwarding in the article below helpful.

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS on your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac:

• Update your iPhone to iOS 8.1 (when available).
  • Enable iMessage on your Mac and iOS devices.
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages and turn on Text Message Forwarding.
  • Your iPad, iPod touch, or Mac will display a code you can enter on your iPhone to verify the SMS and MMS feature.

-Griff W.

Nov 10, 2014 1:22 PM in response to griff w

Thanks for responding but did you read my post? I explicitly said that the "Text Message Forwarding" option is not present. I know how to enable Continuity, I just cannot because the option I need to do so does not exist in my phone (due to a bug).

Is there a way to get "Text Message Forwarding" to show up under Settings > Messages?

Nov 10, 2014 3:35 PM in response to DrMeta

Pretty sure it is just a bug in iOS. I didn't allow location services in the Messages app the first it asked. Location services needs to be enabled in Messages in order for the "Text Message Forwarding" field to show up under the Messages app settings, but since I didn't allow location services the first time, Messages doesn't show up under Locations Services settings, so I have no way of enabling it.

This occurs for many apps, and the solution is to un-install and re-install the app, but I obviously can't do that with messages, so its a catch-22 of needing to enable a setting to enable a setting. Hopefully it will get patched or someone will find a workaround.

Nov 29, 2014 2:45 AM in response to DrMeta

Hi,

The "text message forwarding" option also disappeared from my iPhone 6 just after turning off iMessages. I did this turning-off turning-on trying to get the activation code on my mac's messages App. I noticed that after turning back on iMessages on the iPhone it took a while for it to "activate" (there was a small text under the button reading waiting for activation). After it was activated the text forward option was gone.

I disconnected both the iPhone and the mac from the wi-fi and connected them again. And then did a soft reset of the iPhone. I mean pushing the power button + home button on your Iphone until it restarts. After the iPhone restarted the text message forward option was there, I could activate it and even got the code on my mac.

hope this helps

Jan 18, 2015 5:26 AM in response to suite156

Hey suite156 and the rest of the guys

Newbie to Apple

Same trouble here - Text forwarding option missing.

(to begin with, i am not certain if i;ve ever had it, just never needed it - transitioning from Windows everything..also starting to re-cinsider 🙂) )

So: just downloaded latest 8.1.2 to the iPhone (5), option is just not in the menu list.

Tried the soft restart a couple of time, on and off the iMessages numerous times - no avail.

This article that solved your problem: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-fix-text-message-forwarding-issues-on-ios-8-1/ left me wondering what in the sweet mother nature this means: "Now, back out of the Send & Receive section and request another activation code be sent to one of your devices." How does one request another activation code, of what, where and why..

Feb 25, 2015 7:57 PM in response to Stoli4naq

I feel the pain on the request. I had a similar problem on my MAC. Even tried paid support, no help! The support person tried to tell me the two devices (iPhone and MAC) had to be on the same wifi to work. To pair yes, to work no. Finally i got to work, turn off wifi, turn on, ensure BT is on (both devices), turn off iPhone and hope the forwarding button appears. But now my Mom's iPhone and iPad does not forward anymore. It worked when she left her last Christmas but now doesn't. Trying my advice...and looking for advice

No message forwarding option under Messages settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.