Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 Keyboard Shortcuts won't delete.

So I've had my iPhone 6 now for a few weeks and It's running the latest iOS (iOS 8.1).

I have about 40 Shortcuts in the keyboard and duplicates, however when I delete any of these shortcuts, they reappear, I've turned off iCloud on my iPad, and Mac but yet they still appear and its getting very frustrating. Please help me. 😟

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 9, 2014 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2014 9:03 PM

Same issue here. I have deleted documents from iCloud turmed off sync, turned it back on. And on all three devices it keeps coming back. Help me.

73 replies

Nov 15, 2014 12:35 PM in response to callumbessasagrant

I had the same problem on my iPad Air and Air2; must have deleted them 10 times on both devices. Magically - when I called AppleCare, of course - they seem to have remained deleted. The only thing I did differently was I reset the network settings at the tech's request. I don't know what my network settings have to do with iCloud or my keyboard shortcuts, but it's been over three hours now and they have yet to return. I hope this helps!

Nov 23, 2014 12:55 PM in response to callumbessasagrant

I have the same issue. all of my ios devices get same shortcuts (iMac is only one that doesnt), and its really hard to delete them (30 secs hang of IOS devices, then they get deleted and reappear after a minute with Connection to icloud couldnt be made or something.....).

I am frustated as ever because it slowed down my typing a lot, everywhere I use keybord I have 5-10 seconds pauses every 10 typed letter.

its killing me...

Nov 25, 2014 11:11 AM in response to Athelas loraiel Croatia

It's a syncing issue with iCloud "Dictionaries" which is a hidden folder in the iCloud Drive folder. If you're a dev or comfortable using Terminal, the following command will place a "real iCloud drive" folder on your desktop which will allow you to see ALL the items in iCloud Drive. Inside this folder is the folder called "Settings" and then "Dictionaries". You can then see other nested folders from each device ID (Macs, iOS) that write to iCloud.

This is not a fix but here's the steps to view those:

1) In terminal:

ln -s ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/ ~/Desktop/Real\ iCloud\ Drive

2) You will now have an alias on your desktop to the iCloud Folder (you must choose to view it in a Finder window as list view)

Drill down until you find a file with the extension .cdt

3) Duplicate that file onto your desktop and CHANGE the extension to .zip and unzip it.

4) ADD the extension .plist to the end of the UNIX file that was unzipped and then you can view it in text edit app and see the shortcuts info.

Again, not fixing anything, but trying to narrow it down and hope that some developer/programmer out there with better knowledge than mine can help!

Just a reminder to everyone to report the issue to Apple and go to Genius Bar if you have the time and call Apple Support:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Mar 1, 2015 6:44 PM in response to callumbessasagrant

I Could not get rid of them but i got them sorted

i put a ZZ in front of the duplicate

example

Original Shortcut GL Text answer Good Luck

Duplicate Shortcut GL Text answer Good Luck

Change duplicate to Shortcut ZZ GL Text Answer Good Luck

this then moves all duplicates to the bottom of the list and they stay there and then i don't get duplicates again

Ride Free ... Die Saved

Mar 4, 2015 4:23 AM in response to callumbessasagrant

Hey, I've been having this problem too for a while and I fixed mine recently. This may work for you too?

So what you need to do is grab all of your mobile devices that you are logged in with your Apple ID/iCloud such as an, iPhones, iPod touch, iPad.

1. Delete all of your unwanted shortcuts on all devices. (Settings/general/keyboard/shortcuts/swipe left)

2. Manually do an iCloud backup. (Settings/icloud/backup/back up now)

THey shouldnt comeback after this. It worked for me.

Mar 4, 2015 6:17 AM in response to cosbyk

Update on shortcut issues... the only solution that is reportedly working is detailed below. This has been used to fix both the reappearing shortcuts issue and/or the keyboard shortcuts crash on iOS.

(1) On any affected iOS device go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content And Settings

(WARNING this will obviously delete everything so you must be willing to go this far with no guarantee)

(2) If you also have a Mac(s) proceed to step (3) otherwise skip to step (6)

(3) On Mac, go to System Preferences > Keyboard >Text Tab and delete ALL the shortcuts you have there.

(4) Using Terminal app on your Mac, the following command will place a “Real iCloud Drive" folder on your desktop which will allow you to see ALL the hidden items in iCloud Drive:

ln -s ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/ ~/Desktop/Real\ iCloud\ Drive

(5) Open this new iCloud Folder alias (you must choose to view it in a Finder window as list view). Inside this folder is the folder called "Settings" and inside that, "Dictionaries.” Delete the “Dictionaries” folder and empty trash.

(6) Set up your iOS device(s) as NEW. Meaning, you must manually reinstall any apps, settings, etc. Do NOT restore from iTunes or iCloud backup as that will just leave you with the same corrupted issue. Before going through all the time that takes, start with singing into your device with your Apple/iCloud ID and see if the shortcuts issue seem to be fixed and when you enter new ones they sync between devices and/or Mac.

- This solution was suggested to me by a developer and it seems to have worked for my iOS shortcuts crashing & syncing debacle. The issues have not reappeared for the last week and all the shortcuts are properly syncing between an iPhone, iPad and 2 Macs. Please don’t get angry with me if you try this and it doesn’t work for you. I’m just sharing an option.

- I continue to submit feedback to Apple about the issue and have still been having followup calls with AppleCare. They just keep saying “a fix will be in an upcoming iOS software update.” They’ve been saying that to me me since iOS 8.0 and we are now at 8.1.3…

iOS 8 Keyboard Shortcuts won't delete.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.