Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari will not display support.apple.com/kb/DL1572 just a blank white page.

Trying to download Java SE6 Runtime so I can work in Photoshop CS5. Every time I click on the solution at support.apple.com/kb/DL1572 it never loads. All I get is a blank white page. Is it mirrored anywhere else, any idea why it's happening?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 9, 2014 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2014 6:40 PM

Had an old version of firefox floating around and it displayed the document no problem. Unfortunately I have a intranet page at work I have to access on and off all day and Safari stopped working on that page too, when I upgraded to Yosemite.

29 replies

Nov 16, 2014 7:02 AM in response to cr0100

Deleting all Apple cookies is not a good idea. iTunes it will ask your password over and over agian if you keep deleting all Apple cookies. The two are related!

I have the same problem but I found out that it is a specific cookie that causes this strange behaviour. This cookie is named 'Pod'. If you just delete this single cookie the problem will go away.

Unfortunately it is iTunes that places this cookie. Thus it makes sure that the problem will return after you've used iTunes.

Haven't found a final solution yet.

Dec 6, 2014 2:40 AM in response to paullopez

Visiting both url's works too! Although I prefer my way of deleting the cookie that causes this strange behaviour. I use a program called Cookie (see App Store) to do just that. The problem however is that the original problem will reoccur once you use iTunes en switch back and forth form the store to the update menu. In my case it is iTunes that places the cookie that causes this problem.

Dec 15, 2014 9:37 PM in response to neoman

Not sure if I agree that deleting cookies for apple.com from Safari, could affect iTunes. iTunes most likely uses a security token stored in the user's Keychain, rather than using a cookie. Cookies would not serve any useful purpose for iTunes the way they are used for web browsers (caching credentials, login status, and tracking you for advertising/marketing purposes, etc) - iTunes already knows who you are due to the fact that it knows and uses your iTunes Account credentials every time it talks to Apple's servers. Using cookies to cache your login status would be leaving the door wide open to fraud, so there's no way they'd use cookies for that. Tracking for marketing/advertising? No, because they'd just use your iTunes Account for that purpose. I'm not saying I know the inner workings of iTunes, but as an IT professional I cannot see any best-practise reason why they would use cookies at all, let alone share the same cookie file as Safari.

Besides that, the two are completely separate, unrelated applications, and not only would it be bad software practise for two unrelated applications sharing cookies, it could be problematic for two apps to be reading & writing to the same file.

Regarding the fix to the blank web page issue - I have just tried the suggested fix to this issue - deleting apple.com cookies from within Safari - and I can confirm that it resolved this long-standing issue. For me, the issue had persisted across Mavericks, Yosemite, and then a complete wipe and reinstall of Yosemite.

If you really think I'm wrong about the cookie-sharing theory, then I would suggest that an easy way to prove your theory would be to create a new user account on your Mac, log in under this new account; then ensure the Safari cookies folder is completely empty, then set up iTunes with your iTunes account, then re-examine the cookies folder.

Safari will not display support.apple.com/kb/DL1572 just a blank white page.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.