Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean Install Yosemite onto new SSD (Also, what is TRIM?)

Hi,

I've been researching how to replace the Hard Drive on my Late 2011 13inch Macbook Pro (MacBookPro8,1 / 2.4 GHz / Intel Core i5 / SATA III) with a new SSD (maybe a Samsung 840 EVO) and clean install Yosemite onto it. I've found a few ways to do this on the support forums and the macrumors forum, but I want to confirm if I can do it this way:

1. Plug new SSD into the Macbook via a USB cable

2. Download Yosemite onto current Macbook Hard Drive. When I'm prompted to install, chose the new SSD from the list. Complete Installation.

3. Remove old Hard Drive from Macbook and plug new SSD in it's place (and not in the optical bay).

Would this work? I have another external hard drive with all of my documents, pictures and music on which I'm just going to manually remove over, and have no problem doing. I can also download the iLife programs directly from the App Store so I wouldn't be missing out on those either (I do have the iLife '09 discs too). I've also read about creating a bootable USB using DiskMaker X, but I feel the route I outlined would be easier.

Am I missing anything? I do have the EFI Firmware v2.7, so the problems the 2011 MacBooks were having with SATA shouldn't be an issue during this. Also, during my research, I found a references to something called TRIM. Can someone explain TRIM to me?

Thanks,

Steve

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Late 2011 (MacBookPro8,1)

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 8:36 PM

42 replies

Nov 14, 2014 1:35 PM in response to sorciuch

Well, I found out what TRIM is - allows an OS to inform a SD which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped/overwritten. And it looks like Apple took away support of TRIM enabled third party SSDs for Yosemite. So it looks like I'll need to find an SSD with TRIM already on it which is supported by Apple.

Nov 17, 2014 12:17 AM in response to sorciuch

Yes. Absolutely you should be able to do that exactly. Your machine might be one to look into Trim Enabler. I have used it on my 128gb Samsung 840 pro in my 2012 Mac Mini running Mountain Lion and I still get 360 mbps-write 500+ mbps-read after 2 years. I assume the with the transition to the all PCIE flash architecture, Apple has Trim taken care of.

Just plug in the drive into a SATA to USB cable then to your computer, Go to disk utility and format it to Mac OS extended, Download Yosemite and when it asks which drive to write to, install it to the new, external drive.

Since you have a 15" MacBook Pro, look into how your graphics card will be affected by the change in OS. Each Apple OS has different driver sets and some work better than others. Yosemite seems to be pretty clean but definitely check it out since the whole point of owning a 15" MacBook Pro is to utilize a GPU... Good Luck Mate! Let us know how it works out for you!

Nov 17, 2014 8:22 AM in response to amries

Thanks for the response and confirming I can clean install Yosemite onto a new SSD using the process I listed in my initial post.

I have a 13'' MacBook Pro with Yosemite already installed onto it so my graphics card should be set. After almost a month of using it, I haven't noticed any issues on that end.

I guess this TRIM thing is a totally separate subject from this thread. I read Apple is no longer supporting third-party SSD for TRIM support. If you turn it on, but keep a security feature on, you risk your computer not booting correctly. It looks like the only way to have TRIM enabled on a SSD using Yosemite is to have an Apple supplied SSD, or an SSD that can trick Yosemite into thinking it's Apple supplied (like the Angelbird Wrk for Mac SSD).

I've also done a good amount of research that TRIM is only necessary if you're saving a lot of items to the hard drive in one sitting (like photoshop). I primarily use my Mac for Pages (which saves my documents into the cloud now), iTunes and Safari. I guess this would fit me into the "casual user' criteria? I've also read that if you don't use TRIM, your SSD uses "Garbage Collection" (which actually sounds terrible) to keep the SSD informed on what data can be overwritten since it's been deleted by the user. I read that most modern SSD hard drives have a pretty decent Garbage Collection function, so if you leave your computer idle, keep "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" unchecked, the SSD will run Garbage Collection on it's own and that should be sufficient enough to keep the SSD in good working order.

Nov 18, 2014 12:01 PM in response to tbirdvet

TRIM is very important. On my Mountain Lion Mac Mini if I turn my trim off for a month my Samsung 840 pro write speeds will go down to 100mbps and reads to 300mbps. When i turn TRIM enabler back on, it takes a day or so but my speed returns and the drive is "TRIMmed". Like my other post said, Apple probably has TRIM figured out for Yosemite but you should download Black Magic to test your SSD's speed regularly (weekly) to make sure TRIM is actually working right. If you start losing SSD speed, look into Yosemite TRIM enabler work arounds.

Jan 4, 2015 8:50 PM in response to sorciuch

Apple has their SSD specially made for them. You probably won't find one aftermarket with native trim support.

I've seen where others have posted that Samsung 840 EVO works fine without enabling TRIM. Software controllers on the new drives are getting better without the need for outside TRIM software. You might also check out OWC website for their Mercury SSDs. OWC states that they do not recommend enabling TRIM. Says their SSD has it's own garbage collection built in and doesn't need outside help.

I wouldn't worry about enabling TRIM. If you do find that your drive is slowing down, you can always use Trim Enabler to turn it on and disable it at your liking.

I do have an OWC SSD drive. I have not enabled TRIM. It has been fine without it. It's the only one I've tried and it's an older 3G model, so I have nothing to compare it to. So far, it's been great compared to the old conventional hard drive. I don't think I could go back to the old drive now. I'm spoiled.

Jan 5, 2015 4:07 AM in response to amries

Odd as I have had no slow downs and I did not use trim with my Samsung 840 EVO but probably depends on how much you write to the SSD. If your SSD slows down and you do not have trim then just option boot, leave in this idle mode for a few hours and all the speed will come back as the garbage collection works which is slower than when trim is enabled.

Jan 5, 2015 4:31 AM in response to sorciuch

There are a number of people here who have long time experience with SSDs and Trim. I am one of them.

For modern SSDs and modern OSX (Mavericks, and especially Yosemite) I strongly advise against installing the Trim command: this can lead to transfer issues on the file level (incurable) and in Yosemite you have to disable a whole security level. The Garbage control and overprovisioning in modern SSDs is VERY good and efficient. I used to install trim years ago, but without the hacking apps as there TrimEnabler (a complete disaster in the beginning) and Chameleon (better, but still a hack), I used the "hand method" of GrantPannell.

Jan 7, 2015 11:27 AM in response to sorciuch

Hi,

I'd like also to have an update on the original question of the Yosemite clean install steps in the first post.

And if we would add one more step: 4) Connect old hard drive to USB and use Migration Assistant to transfer user settings/files and apps to SSD fresh Yosemite Installation.

Would that work as a replacement for other various guides using, e.g., CCC, to perform the SSD upgrade?

I somehow feel that it's better if the OS is clean installed in a new drive and after that settings/files are updated.

Thanks!

Thanassis

Jan 8, 2015 4:59 PM in response to than0s

Hey Thanassis,

Just to confirm, since my post asking for an update I've actually followed the steps above by putting the OS onto my new SSD externally then swapping the HD out and booting up with a fresh install. All worked fine and the new crucial SSD runs Yosemite perfectly but I did cause an issue with migration assistant in that midway through backing up from my old HD it seemed to freeze/crash.

I've ended up plugging the HD in and transferring my content manually which for me was fine but just to let you know, the steps work and the error with migration assistant may well be down to an error on my part knocking the HD during the transfer.

Jan 9, 2015 5:24 AM in response to sorciuch

Thanks for your comments.

Problem with 'transferring by hand' is that you have to re-install apps and repeat any custom configurations I have (e.g. macports). I'd like to avoid that by using some tool that do this transferring/migration into a clean installation.

Haven't tried yet, currently I'm waiting for my new Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256GB to be delivered!

Thanassis

Jan 9, 2015 5:31 AM in response to than0s

Problem with 'transferring by hand' is that you have to re-install apps and repeat any custom configurations I have (e.g. macports)

Yes, but that is an advantage at the same time...

You can also use the Migration Assistant just for those difficult things and do the rest by hand.

Beautiful and very good modern SSD you ordered.

👿

Lex

Clean Install Yosemite onto new SSD (Also, what is TRIM?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.