Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icon Preview on desktop keeps needing to be restarted

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro of only 3 weeks. I have a lot of files showing on my desktop, and I wish to have the icon preview active, otherwise I just see generic file icons for each one.

So I go to view options and choose Show Icon Preview. Everything is fine. But now, EVERY single time I turn my Mac off and back on, the icon preview no longer works. The Show Icon Preview box is ticked - and I have to untick and tick it again to get the preview to work again. This was rare on my old Mac, whose data is now all on this new one, but now it is happening EVERY single time. Restarting Finder and fixing the view options only works once, and needs to be done over and over again when the Mac starts up.

Does anyone have a fix or explanation? This is becoming incredibly frustrating, considering how expensive this Mac was, and how new it is. I don't understand why it keeps doing this.

Thanks,

Andrew C

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 12:49 AM

18 replies

Sep 1, 2015 9:47 PM in response to darylfrommelbourne

I suspect a corrupt plist.

Move to the Desktop your com.apple.finder.plist

This is found in your user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Finder>Go>Go to Folder copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Relaunch your Finder. Control-Option click on Finder Dock icon-->Relaunch. This will automatically create a new plist. Other options will have to be customized back to what you are use to as well. If this sorts the problem, trash the plist on your Desktop.

If no change you can drop the old plist back in the ~/Library/Preferences folder and no harm done.

Sep 2, 2015 8:59 AM in response to darylfrommelbourne

The hidden .DS_Store files can become corrupted causing unusual behavior by the finder when you open certain folders such as the finder window blinking open and then closing, inability to see some icons, inability to sort icons, or inability to change the view options.

To fix it, type the following in the app/utilities/Terminal.app

This will delete the .DS_Store file and automatically create a new one in its place.

*Copy and paste* in terminal window the following command line:

rm ~/Desktop/.DS_Store

Sep 8, 2015 8:29 PM in response to darylfrommelbourne

I for one do not turn my Mac off and on, just close the lid and let it sleep over night, lift the lid and go to work . This may side step your issue.

You can open a guest account to see if the problem is universal.

You can do a safe boot which will not launch any third party apps that may be interfering, giving you a new course of action.

You can always reinstall the OS on top of your system, this will preserve all user data etc, just the OS gets replaced to see if it sorts the issue.

Always good to have a current backup plan.

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Bug Reporter https://bugreport.apple.com/

Sep 9, 2015 5:41 PM in response to leroydouglas

i did a safe boot and it was ok when it started, then restarted normal and it was back again ,when i put all my icons into a seperate folder on the desktop,they are always icon view, when i take 1 icon out and put on desktop and restart,the icon view doesnt show,but when i drag it into the folder it shows straight away ? when you say reinstall your os system ,do you mean just reinstall 10.10.5, or yosemite fron the apple downloads, thanks for your help again

Sep 9, 2015 7:57 PM in response to darylfrommelbourne

If all is fine in Safe Boot then there is a third party app interfering. Go to your >System Preferences>Users&Groups> Login Items

remove these login items to determine the culprit.

No mention of a guess account.

Yes reinstall the OS Yosemite from Recovery, App Store, USB/Flash installer what ever you chose as a possibility.

Icon Preview on desktop keeps needing to be restarted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.