Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shuffle Issue Using Bluetooth in a Mazda

There is an issue when connecting apple devices (iPhones, iPod Touches) via Bluetooth to some Mazda vehicles where the native Apple music app won't shuffle music. If you go to your Apple device and open the app, the Shuffle function becomes inoperable. If you tap to turn it on, it turns itself right back off. This does not happen when you are not connected via Bluetooth. This issue is noted plenty of places online. In my case, I have an iPod Touch 5g and a 2013 Mazda CX-9 Sport, but the issue is not limited to that device or that year/make of Mazda. From looking online, I believe it did originally work. However, Apple released a previous big update, iOS 7 perhaps, which is when the issue first started.

There are tips that have been given online, however they all have their own problems which keep them limited to being workarounds instead of solutions. One common suggestion is to use the voice commands to activate shuffle. This works, but only temporarily. Sometimes the device will shuffle regularly for a while. Other times you need to re-activate the shuffle every time you start the vehicle. I don't know why it is inconsistent.

Other tips have suggested using alternate music apps, and I have tried many. Some other apps make the situation a little better, but the shuffle often still resets, although you can at least still toggle the shuffle on more easily from within those apps. Unlike with the native music app, the shuffle function does not seem to be locked/stuck which leads me to believe the issue may be with the Apple app and not the vehicle's radio. Alternate apps have their own weaknesses which make them unappealing to me anyway. The biggest for me personally is that the "skip when shuffling" option for songs in iTunes does not seem to be recognized by any 3rd party apps. I have lots of non-music on my iPod and would love to not have to manually skip past every one of those tracks as I do with a 3rd party app.

The bottom line, for me, is that I want to get the Bluetooth shuffling working properly with Apple's music app when connected to my car via Bluetooth. As a consumer, that certainly seems like it isn't too much to ask. While I am not a programmer, I am not convinced that the issue is with the vehicle. It seems that nobody with Apple or Mazda is interested in fixing the issue which I find unacceptable, (although I know nobody cares what I think). Because the shuffle option on the Apple devices becomes inoperable when connected, I suspect the issue is actually on Apple's end.

Is there any hope that Apple actually cares enough to try examining their own code to do something on their end about this?

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 8.1, Bluetooth

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2017 10:25 AM

Thank you for the help! This issue has been driving me nuts for months. I’m using an iPhone X with Spotify and a 2015 Mazda CX-5. I had the same issue before when I was using an iPhone 7 Plus. Activating the car’s voice assistant and saying “Shuffle All” directly impacts the music player (in this case, Spotify) and turns on the shuffle feature, which for some reason cannot be turned on from the phone when you’re connected to your Mazda via Bluetooth. Unfortunately this is only a temporary fix, because every time you turn on your car, shuffle is off by default. So you must use the voice assistant to shuffle every time you get in the car. But I rejoice because at the very least my playlists will actually be able to shuffle again! (even if it’s annoying to tell your car to do so every time)

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2017 10:25 AM in response to Jsutherland1982

Thank you for the help! This issue has been driving me nuts for months. I’m using an iPhone X with Spotify and a 2015 Mazda CX-5. I had the same issue before when I was using an iPhone 7 Plus. Activating the car’s voice assistant and saying “Shuffle All” directly impacts the music player (in this case, Spotify) and turns on the shuffle feature, which for some reason cannot be turned on from the phone when you’re connected to your Mazda via Bluetooth. Unfortunately this is only a temporary fix, because every time you turn on your car, shuffle is off by default. So you must use the voice assistant to shuffle every time you get in the car. But I rejoice because at the very least my playlists will actually be able to shuffle again! (even if it’s annoying to tell your car to do so every time)

Feb 18, 2015 7:53 PM in response to FunkHouse9

I have the same frustration, also my iPod classic is constantly loading, loading, waiting, not working, then if it does work it always starts on the same **** song in alphabetical order. I traded in my 2013 CX-5 for a brn new one several months ago. The old stereo in the previous car works flawlessly, now nothing but frustration.

I'd like to have the old stereo back. It was perfect. Always started up right where it left off. Bluetooth worked perfectly. Now, I often have to shut down and restart my phone to get bluetooth working again.

This new entertainment system is pure crap and the dealer tries to tell me my iPod Classic is too old. That's a big lie.It fails the same with a brand new iPod.

If it was just bluetooth or just the iPod that failed, I would happily use the other, but both is inexcusable.

Oct 6, 2016 11:48 AM in response to OsnaldoVer

Why wouldn't this work? I would think that BT audio (as opposed to a hands-free phone or something) would simply be the car acting as a wireless speaker for the phone. Or does the car transmit back play/pause/forward/backward commands to the phone as well? (In which case, I'd think there wouldn't be any way for the car to disable the shuffle mode - it would simply function like any other playlist as far as iTunes on the phone was concerned) So this is a case of the car-audio being "too smart" for it's own good? (if it just acted as a dumb BT speaker, it would work, but no..)

Nov 5, 2017 1:23 PM in response to FunkHouse9

It’s 2017, I bought the iPhone X, and I’m still having this problem. I have a 2014 Mazda CX-5, and this problem only recently started happening to me. It has been since iOS11 released when I had my 6s. Both Apple Music and Spotify don’t work properly; I’m not able to use the shuffle or repeat buttons. Apple, please take note and fix this issue

Nov 26, 2014 7:13 AM in response to FunkHouse9

This report of the issue is spot on. I have a Mazda 6 as well and my 6+ will not shuffle on bluetooth. I can towards the end of each song hit the shuffle button on the iPhone and while it's highlighted for around 1.5 seconds hit the next track button and it will shuffle to the next song, then turn the shuffle button back off.

It really is unacceptable and software bugs like these are exactly what drove me away from Android and back to Apple.

Looks like it's the same all over.

Feb 13, 2015 1:04 PM in response to FunkHouse9

I have this same exact problem with my iPhone 5c on iOS 8+ (currently 8.1.3). I had a Mazda 3, 2010 that shuffled music no problem, this car also did not have any technical display for the track list, etc. I recently got a Mazda CX-5 2015 and the 5c music through Bluetooth cannot keep the shuffle active, whether in playlists or not. This is very frustrating. The new Mazda has a great touch screen display that does show track list through Bluetooth, not sure if the added technology is what is causing the issue.

I would like this issue to be looked into so I can truly be wireless and stop having to resort to back to my AUX cable just so that I can shuffle my music. I could also look into using Pandora or Spotify instead of iTunes/iPod for my music needs....

Feb 26, 2015 8:41 AM in response to pogster

Pogster, what are the actual means to contact Apple? My only device is out of warranty and they want me to pay to access support which is why I had posted it here.

As for Mazda, they seem to have turned a blind eye to the issue and it has been that way for a long time. Personally, I think the responsibility for fixing the issue should ultimately fall on Apple. The connection is made and I experience no problems from the Mazda side of this equation. It is when connected to via Bluetooth that the shuffle function on the Apple device stops working. The voice command approach does trick the device back into shuffle mode, but it only works temporarily. I don't consider a work-around to be a satisfactory solution.

Shuffle Issue Using Bluetooth in a Mazda

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.