Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s battery draining much faster with 8.1.1

iPhone 5s, 64 GB. Upgraded to iOS 8.1.1 last night, and noted today that the battery is draining much faster than usual. "Battery Usage" in settings indicates that the biggest drains are Phone (Low Signal) 26%, Overcast (Audio) 22%, Home & Lock Screen 18% and Mail (Background Activity) 14%.

Anyone else noticing reduced battery life with 8.1.1?

Also - does the "Low Signal" for Phone just mean that I've been in poor coverage areas? I have 3/5 to 4/5 signal strength most of the day.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 18, 2014 2:49 PM

12 replies

Nov 19, 2014 2:52 PM in response to Moonwreck

Same here, but with an iphone 4s. The battery draining has been an issue since iOS 8 was launched, but it seems to be getting worse with each upgrade, contrary to all my hopes. Now I can't go to sleep without it being charged since it lasts about 5 hours to die on me - which means the phone will be shut down in the morning if I forget to leave it on the charger at night.

And yes, I have tried every suggestions I've found online, but nothing seems to work.

Nov 20, 2014 7:01 AM in response to Mariposa_pt

I restored back to 8.1 and the problem is apparently solved (yes, I know, Apple doesn't want people to downgrade).

Yesterday, running 8.1.1, my 5S went from 100% charge to 86% charge during by one hour commute, with Overcast in the foreground (external audio, not speakers). This morning, same circumstances, I still had a 98% charge when I got to work (and even now, an hour later...) I don't recall all of the apps that may have been in the background, but I usually shut down what I'm not using, and only allow a few apps to access location services or refresh in the background.

Nov 21, 2014 6:35 AM in response to mattblackman

I had the same issue with iphone 5s (32gb) i upgraded as soon as the 8.1.1 came out and i suddenly saw the battery drain like crazy. In mid morning i was down to 40% and in the early afternoon gone. I left it at night running on sleep mode and the battery was drained who knows when. I normally when i have 40-50% I leave it and in the morning i have a few percentage points left....but never nothing !1

My wife is running the same phone on "8.02" and I did not upgrade hers, and no issues with battery drain there. Now she refuses to let me touch her phone in case i upgrade and screw up hers too!.. she is right in not trusting these upgrades. !

I tried all the tips and tricks that you read all over the web to stop drainage...from background refresh, to motion reduce, location, notifications...etc...believe me tried them all.

I also restored the phone a few times to clean start (8.1.1), and then also from my back up in itunes...

Nothing worked. !! My 5s becomes warmer than my wife 5s and there is definitely something running in the background that depletes the battery much faster.

I went to check the battery with my mobile operator and they claimed there is no problem...but go tell the guy fixing screws on iphones that the web is full of reports on battery drain with 8.1.1 .

After much research and waste of time...i managed to find the IPSW for downgrading to "8.1" I did succeed to downgrade and i will be testing in the next few days if all is ok. I will report any results

I learned one lesson....don't trust the iOS "upgrades" until a few weeks and month go by to check what effects they have on the phone !! They sell you a phone for over 700-800 bucks and then you have to waste your time figuring out how to solve their software problems.Who is going to pay for my time?

With a market valuation of over $650 Billion and the stock price over $110, you would expect them to check thoroughly before they release a version to fix one device and screw up the others. I guess Apple & Samsung are almost running a duopoly on Smartphones. Yes, there is competition (HTC, LG, Sony, Nokia..) there but if you want the most advanced model, you need to choose between 2 or 3 suppliers. Once all your data is connected to one Operating System, the switching costs to another platform becomes expensive..cause you need to buy a new phone and a new tablet and move all your data, settings..etc

So for the time being i am stuck with iOS with an iPhone and iPad, and hopefully the downgrade will solve the Battery Drain of 8.1.1

So my recommendation if you have an iPhone 5s : DO NOT UPGRADE TO 8.1.1

Nov 21, 2014 11:03 AM in response to ireduce.com

I had same type of issue going from 8.0 to 8.1. Now with 8.1.1 installed I still had same issue. The warm and rapid drain seems to subside when I log out of icloud. Soon as I use my icloud ID then whamo, warm and drain begins. I logged out on my macbook pro too. Not sure what is going on but I tried all you have mentioned. Apple even exchanged the 5s for another one. It is definitely software related.

Nov 22, 2014 11:44 PM in response to mattblackman

It seems I have found a solution in my case. I noticed some problems with my Exchange mail account recently - not being able to delete messages, lack of refreshing, logouts etc. So I deleted the account replacing it with standard GMail account and it appears my battery problems were fixed instantly. Today two hours of use and still over 90% battery!

iPhone 5s battery draining much faster with 8.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.