Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get Yosemite to find my scanner (frustrated)

Hey there everyone.

I recently upgraded to Yosemite and a SSD 500GB HDD in my mid 2012 Mac Book Pro. I previously had my Canon Imageclass 8280cw printer/scanner installed on my last hard drive. The printer and scanner worked on my original hard drive. After I installed Yosemite and the new SSD drive the scanner won't recognize my computer like it did before. I've been trying a bunch of different things the last week. Luckily I have my old drive still intact so I boot from it via slam drive if I have to scan, but it's super slow. I should mention that the printer works on my new SSD but I can't get the scanner to recognize the computer. I added the printer via the printers/devices screen just like I did last time and it won't recognize it. Has anyone else had this issue or figured out how to deal with it? I'm not sure if it's an OSX issue (it worked before though) or something else. At this point, I'm lost and not sure what to do and I need this scanner. I keep driving over to my parents house to scan something if I need it.

Thanks,

Mike

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 18, 2014 8:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 10:25 AM

I had this problem with my canon, but I found this procedure on the HP site. Except for the driver software part, the apple procedure might help, and it seemed to work for me.

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon ( User uploaded file ), and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or Ctrl +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected

Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus ➕ symbol.Repair Disk Permissions

1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window. Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and download and install the HP Printer Drivers for OS X. Now when you add the printer, you should have the HP driver to choose. If for any reason your printer driver is not there, then select the AirPrint driver.
    1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner User uploaded file
    2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can select the printer driver (or AirPrint)User uploaded file

Please let me know how this works out. If you require further assistance I will happily do all I can to help.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2014 10:25 AM in response to faromic

I had this problem with my canon, but I found this procedure on the HP site. Except for the driver software part, the apple procedure might help, and it seemed to work for me.

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon ( User uploaded file ), and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or Ctrl +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected

Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus ➕ symbol.Repair Disk Permissions

1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window. Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and download and install the HP Printer Drivers for OS X. Now when you add the printer, you should have the HP driver to choose. If for any reason your printer driver is not there, then select the AirPrint driver.
    1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner User uploaded file
    2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can select the printer driver (or AirPrint)User uploaded file

Please let me know how this works out. If you require further assistance I will happily do all I can to help.

Nov 20, 2014 7:20 PM in response to faromic

To scan with the MF8280Cw you can use Canon's MF Toolbox application. If you installed the ScanGear v2.30 scanner driver, this includes the MF Toolbox scanning application that will be installed under Applications > Canon MF Utilities. With this application open you first need to add the networked MF via the MF Toolbox > Network Scanner Settings menu. Once the networked MF is added you then need to select the Scan button and then select Remote Scanner on the MF. Then load you document in the ADF and then select the Save icon in MF Toolbox to start scanning.

Nov 20, 2014 8:27 PM in response to PAHU

Hi PAHU,

Thanks for the advice, but I'm still getting an error. I have Scan Gear Installed When I open MF Toolbox I get the following error:

No Available Scanner Found. Follow the Instructions in the Scanner Driver Guide to add the scanners you are using.

I did this. I added the scanner in OSX. I'm really not understanding why they are not seeing each other when they did before. I know it's not a Yosemite isue becuase my wife has a Mac Air with Mavericks and it's the same issue.

Thanks

Nov 20, 2014 9:05 PM in response to faromic

No. You're not missing anything. But there appears to be an issue with Bonjour on your Mac (and many others who have updated to Yosemite). If you know the IP address the MF is using, you can click the IP icon and then enter the IP address. This will then add it and show the view as I have shown.

If you don't know the IP address you can find it via the control panel on the MF. Menu > Network Settings > TCP/IP Settings > IPv4 Settings > IP Address Settings > Check Settings > IP Address

Nov 20, 2014 9:15 PM in response to PAHU

I GOT IT WORKING!!!!

Thank you so much! I'm going to mess around with it a bit and make sure everything is ok? So you were saying I have to scan from the MF....it's not working though when I do that. When I do remote scanner it just says "Waiting....online". I tried it directly from the computer MF toolbox and it worked. Is there a way to scan directly from the scanner to MF toolbox that you know of?

Nov 20, 2014 9:34 PM in response to faromic

faromic wrote:

I GOT IT WORKING!!!!

🙂

faromic wrote:

So you were saying I have to scan from the MF....it's not working though when I do that. When I do remote scanner it just says "Waiting....online".

No, I meant that you had to scan using the MF Toolbox application. So as you have said, when you set the MF to Remote Scanner, you then go back to the Mac and use MF Toolbox to scan you document.

faromic wrote:

Is there a way to scan directly from the scanner to MF toolbox that you know of?

Yes. Instead of selecting Scan > Remote Scanner, select Scan > Computer. When you then press OK your Mac's name should be shown. If it is press the OK button again. Then you will see some scanning options, such as B&W Scan and Color Scan. Note that the scanning conditions for these "profiles" are set in the MF Toolbox application. With the desired scanning profile selected, press the OK button again and wait. After a few seconds your document will be scanned to the location set in MF Toolbox (by default your Pictures folder with a folder name of the date).

Nov 21, 2014 10:34 AM in response to PAHU

Right so this is what I used to do. Put the document in the auto feeder and press Scan>Compupter and my computer would show up. It still doesn't show up in that screen and that's what is throwing me off. I didn't even have to have MF Toolbox open. I would just press Scan>computer>OK and it would scan and open up the MF Toolbox and close it when it was done.

Thanks

Nov 23, 2014 1:29 PM in response to faromic

faromic wrote:

Right so this is what I used to do. Put the document in the auto feeder and press Scan>Compupter and my computer would show up. It still doesn't show up in that screen and that's what is throwing me off.

For the Mac to appear in the "Scan > Computer" setting on the MF the "Canon MF Scan Agent" must be running on the Mac. If you open Activity Monitor, do you see this process? If not, navigate to /Library/Printers/Canon/MFScanner/Utilities and double-click the "Canon MF Scan Agent" to open. This should now make this service appear in Activity Monitor, and if it does then the Mac should now be visible on the MF via the "Scan > Computer" view.

Note also that this service should start automatically as the MF ScanGear installer copies the file "jp.co.canon.ScanGearMF.appl.Canon-MF-Scan-Agent.plist" to the /Library/LaunchAgents folder.

Can't get Yosemite to find my scanner (frustrated)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.