Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PS4 Controller Bluetooth Connectivity Problems

Hi there. I've been using the PS4 Controller with my Late 2013 Macbook Pro for a while, and bluetooth connectivity was fine for a while. Around the time I updated to Yosemite (although I'm not 100% certain that would be the cause), the controllers stopped being able to connect.

When I attempt to pair the device, it shows up as discoverable, allows me to hit 'Connect' in the Bluetooth preferences pane, and actually says 'Connected', although it continues to have the spinning load wheel next to it. Typically, when the controller ACTUALLY connects, the light on the back of the DS4 changes from quick flashes to a solid orange color. After a while of this, the controller stops attempting to connect, and the Bluetooth pane says the pairing failed.

I have reset the PRAM and SMC multiple times, am fully up to date on software, have tried plugging the controllers in via USB first (which works, but I want Bluetooth working again), and have done a ton of searches for similar issues. Very few people seem to have an issue remotely close to this, and the ones that do are able to fix it with an SMC reset.

Thanks in advance for any help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), PS4 Dualshock 4 Controller

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 1:45 PM

30 replies

Mar 22, 2017 10:16 PM in response to Theyis

I had this problem and a another similar one.

My controller was able to connect, but would disconnect almost immediately after connecting

My solution was to just connect it to my ps4 again using the cable.

I turned my ps4 on and when I was prompted to press the PS button to use controller, I tried to connect without the cable at first, but it didn't work. So I just used the cable to connect my controller to the ps4 and pressed the PS button.

Then I just turned off the ps4 and unplugged it. When I connect the controller to my mac it works.

Nov 23, 2017 5:44 AM in response to Riddle1715

Bluetooth explorer??? You mean Bluetooth Preferences i think. Check what name it says in the list, if its not official name its probably a fake. I had same issue, with older OSX you needed a lot of tricks to get it working. But these days should connect.

You still need a different software for keymapping the controller, I personally use joystick mapper. Very good app.

Dec 10, 2017 4:11 PM in response to thirkleby

Can you check the com.apple.bluetooth.plist delete it and restart. Though you will loose all prior paired devices and would need to pair them again.

I do remember i had issues with my PS4 controller on MBP 2015 as well. Ill check what tut i found. I believe it was holding reset and ON button as the same time and connect using cable.

I'll go and see if i can find that tut again

just a moment....

Dec 10, 2017 5:22 PM in response to thirkleby

How about that, mine was alwys working but havent used in acouple monts. Battery has run out probably so charging it and wanted to see some settings. Now mine also doesnt connect no more hahahaha ***

Im looking into this post and tried the solution with the bluetooth explorer app. Its connect for 1-3 seconds and then goes OFF. Im gonna look for some other methods and report back

Jan 4, 2015 6:00 PM in response to MattiaTraverso

Someone else told me to do this on another site and I've done this about 20 times now, and it has change nothing for me. I have even deleted the /Library/Preferences/com.bluetooth file exchange.plist along with the bluetooth.plist and it has changed nothing. I still have the same problem as stated above and i truly believe its a connection issue with the macbook pro because when i take my controller to my brothers house with a Windows 8 desktop, it connects, every time, with no issues. Please fix this. I would love to be able to game wirelessly on my mac with my ps4 controller.

P.s

This being said. When i get the controller to connect, and If I don't plug it into a ps4 or remove the device from the preference list, It stays connected and connects when disconnected right away. Its the initial connection that is shotty and i pretty much have to leave one controller designated to my macbook.

Jan 5, 2015 2:21 PM in response to SirRain3

I had the exact same issue you had, and I took the following steps to fix it:

1) Turn off Bluetooth

2) Terminate every single process in Activity Manager that you can terminate

3) Open the terminal and type sudo rm -R /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.E5A09B51-7B2E-53AC-ADF0-*********.plis t (I censored part of the name since I am not sure whether these characters have any importance)
or sudo rm -R /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

4) Trash the file manually if you can't get this to work ^

5) Restart your macbook

6) Open the newly formed Bluetooth.plist with Sublime Text, delete everything inside and re-save the file (I know, this feels like black magic, and I don't think it had any input... but I am just telling you the steps I took!)

...and now it works flawlessly. Tried with two controllers, and they still work even after I pair them with other devices.

Apr 17, 2015 4:28 PM in response to Theyis

Hi Guys,

i´m having the exact same issues Sir Rain 3 has. I already deleted the com.apple.Bluetoothplist file from Preferences/Library file as well as the other Bluetoothplist file in the Prefernces/Library/ByHost directory. I also reseted the PRAM and SMC but still the controller won`t connect to my MacBook Pro. (Retina, Mid 2014)

Are there any other suggestions how to solve this problem? Both of my Controllers work fine with the PS 4 though.

Would be great if there´s someone who could help!

Thanks in advance!

Apr 26, 2015 3:06 PM in response to Theyis

I know this didn't work for OP, but for the sake of who it may help:

0. Make sure controller isn't paired to another device.

1. sudo rm -R /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

2. Restart

3a. With BT PrefPane open, try pairing with PS Button and Share. May or may not work. If it does, you're done!

3b. If 3a doesn't work, try connecting by pressing PS button and looking to see if light stays lit.

4. If still not working, start at step 2, and possibly try only 3b.

Eventually, this is how I get it to work.

PS4 Controller Bluetooth Connectivity Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.