Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6, ghost touching screen...

Brand new iPhone 6, 64gb, no case, received 24 hours ago, one charge cycle of use, everything works fine with the phone, except it is randomly ghost touching left side of screen. Phone has been restarted several times, updated the as shipped iOs 8.0 to iOs 8.1.1 at lunch, no change, ghost touching still happening.

Turned it on and upon initial configuration noticed ghost touching of left side of screen, phone opened up an app and was operating it as if being touched, mostly left side of screen inputs, (my hands no where near the screen) typing a text ghost touching happened again, left screen ghost touches causing all sorts of mayhem. On a web page looking at an item I recently purchased, ghost touching selected the item, and shopping cart, (thank goodness to actually place and order requires more deliberate action). Updating the apps from the app store, non stop ghost touching, launching the apps trying update. Withe he phone sitting on the desk no objects near it even ghost swiped along with more ghost touches that took it out of "updates" and launched a video of a game in "Featured Apps" Once the updates were down, the ghost touching subsided to the more sporadic random touching. During the app updates was the only real noticeable pattern and it was quite literally almost non stop entire time.

Anyone else experience this with their iPhone 6, 4.7"?

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 10:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2017 9:53 PM

This is my THIRD iPhone 6 - 64gb in space gray that has done this, and this phone is less than 24 hours in use.

My first was replaced by Asurion.

This one was given to me from ATT. They said it wasn't refurbished but who knows.

I have done resets, restores, set up like new, only use OEM chargers, don't have an otter box anymore, etc etc.

I'm at a loss. It's frustrating to be trying to read something and my phone starts jumping around to different pages. Or typing things that I'm not typing. Making calls when the phone is not even being touched.

Let me repeat, I've been using this current phone for less than 24 hours and I'm STILL having the same issues.

I run businesses from my phone. It's pretty crappy to accidentally call someone 30 times. I need my phone in better working order.

50 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2017 9:53 PM in response to BRAAP

This is my THIRD iPhone 6 - 64gb in space gray that has done this, and this phone is less than 24 hours in use.

My first was replaced by Asurion.

This one was given to me from ATT. They said it wasn't refurbished but who knows.

I have done resets, restores, set up like new, only use OEM chargers, don't have an otter box anymore, etc etc.

I'm at a loss. It's frustrating to be trying to read something and my phone starts jumping around to different pages. Or typing things that I'm not typing. Making calls when the phone is not even being touched.

Let me repeat, I've been using this current phone for less than 24 hours and I'm STILL having the same issues.

I run businesses from my phone. It's pretty crappy to accidentally call someone 30 times. I need my phone in better working order.

Mar 12, 2017 7:14 PM in response to Sidekick74

i just copied what you said by putting my [phone 6plus in portrait mode and twisting the phone side ways .

The phone started behaving properly and hopefully it should stay this way. Usually after leaving the phone for like 4-12 hours or more it will behave properly over the last one year.

Apple really need to get this issue sorted or offer a recall fix for this hardware issue.

Jun 30, 2017 9:21 PM in response to BRAAP

My iPhone 6 does the exact thing, nearly IMPOSSIBLE to type on the keyboard without using autocomplete (the one time it's actually useful), Can't unlock phone unless I use the thumbprint scanner. Haven't even had the phone for 4 months. Will probably be the LAST iPhone I ever buy. Thanks Apple, another example of how you prefer profit over quality

Sep 5, 2017 2:19 PM in response to BRAAP

I'm pretty sure this is a charger problem. I had this problem with my 5s. I thought the screen was broken and had it replaced. The problem was fixed for 2 days and the ghost tapping started again. I noticed the guy fixing the screen used an original apple adapter and i used a samsung one. Switching back to an apple adapter fixed the problem for me. It doesnt have to be an original apple one just make sure the specs are correct or designed to charge iphone. I still have the problem sometimes when i charge my 6s in the car but its bearable enough

Sep 23, 2017 7:33 PM in response to BRAAP

***Ghost touch is a hardware issue and can be fixed***

My iPhone 6 started acting up when it was 3 months out of Apple Care Plus. It started with intermittent screen unresponsiveness. Maddening, though hard to reproduce on command. I called Apple and got the usual nonsense: never heard of this, sounds like you need a new phone, etc. After poking around a bunch on various sites, the consensus is that the iPhone 6 has a design flaw that causes the digitizer and screen to become unreliable. Some have blamed this on dropping the phone, bending the phone, dunking the phone, or charging with an unauthorized charger. Possibly true. However, mine did it on its own. After a few months, the phone got much worse. It started acting as if it had a poltergeist. It was dialing random numbers, opening and closing apps, trying to send nonsense texts, etc. Completely worthless. I was ready to throw it in the toilet. However...

I ordered a screen and digitizer replacement via a large online retailer that is named after a famous South American river. The one I got came with a magnetic pad with a picture of the iPhone to keep track of the screws. It came with the tiny pentalobe and 000 Phillips screwdrivers, both magnetized (big help). While I was at it, I ordered a replacement battery. After watching the online videos a couple of times, I dove in. One and a half hours of microsurgery later, my iPhone 6 is FIXED!!! And it has a new battery. Total cost: $52. And to think Apple wanted me to buy a new phone.

Nov 25, 2014 1:28 PM in response to BRAAP

Hello,

I have been experiencing the same thing on my launch day iPhone 6 128GB on the same side of the screen. It happens every now and then.

Sometimes I keep my leave my finger on the left side of the screen to see if maybe it will recognize the touch input and found that I

can watch the screen start to jitter slightly up and down as it fights to stabilize itself.Disappointed because it is brand new and now have to accept a refurb.

Something is definitely wrong and plan on doing an exchange after Thanksgiving. Are you still experiencing the ghost touching or found a way to resolve it?

Nov 25, 2014 4:39 PM in response to BRAAP

I have an iPhone 6, 64GB also experiencing the same problem. I have been to apple multiple times and talked to Apple Care. They swapped the phone the first time thinking it was a glitch in the phone. After receiving the second one and it doing the same thing, they concluded that the problem was with my backup from my iPhone 4s. They had me restore the phone and "set up as new". Problem still occurred. I just went to Apple again today and got the 3rd one and started from scratch. Can you guess? YES, the problem is happening. So, i'm not sure if this is something Apple just has to work on or what because I didn't bring anything over from my previous phone. However, I am very frustrated as my phone has called people or even answered calls on its own.

Nov 25, 2014 5:07 PM in response to Jay Marie

Took mine in to Apple, Genius bar immediatly recognized the issue calling it "Ghost Touches". Swapped the phone for a new one, 2 and half days later working perfectly.

Jay Marie,

Sorry to hear of your ongoing Ghost Touches. As I understand from further research the Ghost Touches is from a bad/problematic digitizer board in the phone, hardware issue, not software. iPads have been experiencing similar Ghost Touches for at least a year now, sad to see lack luster quality coming from Apple.

Apr 3, 2015 8:12 AM in response to BRAAP

I experienced Ghost Touches for the first time today on my iphone 6 and since it never ever happened before, and I'd never heard of this phenomenon before, I immediately assumed a hack was taking place before my very eyes.

I powered off and for some not thought-out reason, I also unplugged my iphone's charging cord. When I started the iphone up again and tryed text messaging again I had a perfectly normal keyboard - except my iphone's battery was near depletion (11%). Thinking my keyboard fix was solved by turning off and turning on my iphone, I again plugged my iphone into the same charging device and WHAM; ghost touching started happening over and over again.

This time, I unplugged my charging cord first and moved to the another charging cord and plugged in. With a new charging hub I had perfect text and no ghost keyboard stroking. I'm confident the black device labeled "Designed in China, Model No. A1265" was the culprit causing my ghost touches. I made no screen adjustments except what I've described - I hope this helps.

Apr 16, 2015 4:59 PM in response to BRAAP

My phone is going crazy, selecting things all over the screen. And I've read that most of these issues happen when connected to a non-Apple charger, but my ghost touches began when I wasn't connected to anything. I've reset it so many times and it'll help for a hit, but today I can't even unlock my phone because it keeps putting random numbers for my unlock code. It's beyond frustrating!!!!

Jun 23, 2015 10:00 AM in response to BRAAP

I had the same problem with my brand new iPhone 6. I unplugged the charger that came with my phone and the problem stopped - ghost went away. Plugged it back in and the ghost is back - deleting emails, opening apps, calling people oh my.

This s not just OEM chargers but with the charger supplied with my iPhone 6.

iPhone 6, ghost touching screen...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.