Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad2 Mail application starts, shows blank screen with header, then crashes and closes

My iPad2 mail app crashes after start up and then closes. This started happening after trying to respond to an e-mail with multiple attachments. Now, I cannot access any of my mail accounts on the iPad.

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.1, 32GB with cellular

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 6:15 PM

21 replies

Jan 13, 2017 10:15 AM in response to JJPEngr

HI all,

Hoping someone can help looks like mines a bit of a fringe case compared to everyone here and I'm a bit afraid to do the factory reset.

For me i also have larger attachments that I'm trying to send from my Ipad to my own gmail account because the files are from an app on my ipad (Maschine2.0). In sending I noticed my Gmail account had an old password so it placed all the outgoing mail that I sent (8 emails with files) to the outbox. I was able to get into the outbox twice to send the emails once i had my credentials entered properly. I was able to send two of the emails but now the remaining 6 are in that outbox that I can't access anywhere BUT on the ipad. They don't pop up for me in gmail.

Is there some way I can access the outbox on my ipad outside of my ipad? If so I can manually resend them from my imac. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Adam

Aug 2, 2017 9:56 PM in response to JJPEngr

Im having same problem , ive read this thread , tried everything suggested including the reset network settings still not working , ive done the reboot thing ...next step is reboot the ipad out the door

I even tried contacting apple support but they want $39 up front online and then set an appointment at an apple shop but there is 4 or 5 day wait then who knows what they will charge to rectify if they rectify at all ...$39 is a bit rich for an initial online support query especially when spent thousands on apple products over the journey .... Its financial sodomy!

Nov 21, 2014 6:30 PM in response to JJPEngr

Try going to your email account on the server using Safari or another web browser.and see if you delete that problematic email on the server. I would do this on a computer rather than on the iPad. Obviously you will want to download any attachments if you need them, but one of them could be corrupt and causing the mail app to crash.

If the mail apps opens but crashes when you open that particular email, you can delete the email directly on the iPad by swiping across on it from right to left in the preview window. You don't have to open the email.

Nov 21, 2014 7:38 PM in response to Demo

I was able to reply to the problematic e-mail on my iPhone at the time the problem occurred. When I got back to the office, I was able to access it on my PC and save attachments. It is only a problem on my iPad. I tried deleting and reinstalling the affected e-mail account in settings, but that did not solve the problem either. The Mail app still crashes on my iPad without opening any mail accounts.

Nov 23, 2014 10:27 AM in response to JJPEngr

I deleted all e-mail accounts using settings on my iPad. Then launched Mail App. I still got the blank screen with header, then the crash and close of the app again. I have powered down and restarted my iPad several times. I still get the crash of the mail app. All other iPad functions and apps work normally. Unfortunately, unlike added apps, I cannot separately remove the mail app and reinstall it. I am considering using the restore option, but I am concerned this will mess up other apps that are working just fine. Any other suggestions before running the restore option?? Thank you.

Nov 23, 2014 2:17 PM in response to Demo

I ran the general rest as indicated. Unfortunately, the mail application still opens blank screen with header, then crashes and closes. All other apps work normally. I had to re-enter some settings as expected. Data appears to be intact.

Any other suggestions? I am about ready to download an aftermarket mail app from the app store and install it. I suspect it is a bug with iOS 8.1.1 related to the mail app.

Thank you for taking time to help.

Nov 23, 2014 4:50 PM in response to JJPEngr

AT this point, the only other thing that I would suggest is to erase and start over meaning backup, restore to factory settings using iTunes, and restore the backup. If that fails, restore as new and rebuild the device. Its not as intimidating as it seems. I have done it several times with several devices. I just went through it with my iPad 3, after I downloaded iOS 8. The performance was lacking so I did a clean install, but also restored my backup. It helped, but the updates to iOS 8.1.1 helped even more.

Using third party mail apps isn't a bad idea at all. I use the Xfinity Connect app for my Comcast email. It has many more features than the built in mail app, so it's great for my Comcast account. However, I also have two AOL accounts (one is a work account that goes, way, way back) and the other is a MS Exchange account through my Comcast Business account, so I still use the mail app to keep all accounts in one place.

What bothers me about resorting to a third party app is that is just a workaround and I would really like to see you resolve the problem because it could lead to something even worse down the road. Having said that, if that's what you have to do, that's what you have to do. you could just continue to access your email on the server using Safari or another browser, but if downloading another email app makes it easier for you, I would probably choose that route myself.

There must be something corrupt somewhere in a setting on the iPad that's causing this and I was hoping that resetting all settings would fix it. You did try closing all apps and restarting the iPad at some point didn't you?

Nov 23, 2014 5:46 PM in response to Demo

Yes, I have closed all iPad apps and restarted several times. Thank you for the additional suggestions, they make sense and I will respond when complete to indicate what happens. I have not had this kind of issue on several Apple devices I have owned since OS 9 on an old Mac more than 10 years ago.

May 24, 2015 1:54 PM in response to JJPEngr

glad I'm not the only one! I had this problem a while back, not sure what version I was on at the time. It could have been around the iOS 8 introduction. I had to do a restore/backup to get it to start working again. Well, guess what! Here we are on 8.3 and it just did it again to me last night. I've tried everything with no luck. So, I'm in the process of doing amother restore. Last time I lost all my iBooks info...mostly PDFs that I had in there. I THINK I have everything configured and backed up correctly this time so I don't have to go through that headache again.

The cause was the same this time: trying to attach two large files and it crashed. Very frustrating.

Jul 13, 2015 7:18 PM in response to Grassstrippilot

I am having similar problem suddenly. Went to forward an email with several large photos attached in my iPad email and email closed and iPad went dark. Rebooted and tried to open Mail, mail opens, no emails display and 15 seconds later it closes Mail. Rebooted several times with no change. Start mail, it closes.

Help!

personal email is mmulhern1@gmail.com

My iPad2 Mail application starts, shows blank screen with header, then crashes and closes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.