Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"efilogin-helper" requesting discrete graphics

Hello everyone,

since it first came out I own a First generation 15" Retina MacBook Pro. For one application I use, I had to install a litte tool that allows me to manually select the discrete graphics chip. This also allows me to see what graphics chip is enabled by the OS when set to normal mode.

However, since I installed Yosemite, I can observe that the OS is very often, sometimes 50% of the time, switching to discrete graphics while it is not necessary in my opinion. The process requesting this is "efilogin-helper". Even though I would not notice it without the gfxcardstatus application, I expect the battery to drain faster this way. The discrete graphics chip increases power consumption by more than 20%.

Can someone explain to me what "efilogin-helper" does or how I can disable it?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 8:39 AM

12 replies

Dec 5, 2014 12:25 PM in response to andb

The ghost in the login screen has disappeared. The solution was to decrypt and re-encrypt the drive in the security settings, not by direct right click on the drive.

But... the efilogin-helper problem problem still exists. It even causes some problems with other software now, rebuilding the screen after every GPU-switch. It is definitely visible and annoying...

Apr 22, 2015 12:03 AM in response to andb

I have the same problem. Yesterday I encrypted my SSD with Filevault 2. After the required reboot, the graphics card started switching every few seconds (I use gfxCardStatus to display a message when the graphics card is switched). The program told me that "efilogin-helper" is the reason for the switch. Since I could not find a solution for this problem anywhere, I decided to unencrypt my SSD again to get back to the old behavior.

The unencryption is done now, but the problem still exists, as the graphics card is still switched every few seconds. For now I have set my settings to always use the discrete graphics but since that uses more energy, I would prefer to get it back to working normally.

Are there any solutions to this problem yet?

My specs:

MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2012

2,5GHz i7

16GB RAM

Interestingly, I just saw that in the "about this Mac" dialog, my mac is recognized as 13" instead of 15".

May 22, 2015 9:11 PM in response to Toyzr

I have been fighting EFILOGIN-HELPER for a few days. It has been executing exactly every minute, using lots of power and cpu time. This is on a mid-2010 MacBook Pro, 13 inch, which docs I've found says cannot use the EFI software(actually, I tried installing it, and it refused, citing not for your machine.). So, tonight, based on another post, I finally found the code file at System/Library/Privateframeworks/Efilogin.framework/versions/a/resourses/efilog in-helper. I did a get info, appended an x to the filename and saved it. Machine is now running much better, and is cooling off. Not exactly Hoyle, but then Apple seems to be ignoring this problem. Oh, I'm running Yosemite 10.10.3. Back up to speed now, not that this intel based beastie was ever really fast. Good luck waiting for Apple's patch. Toodles.

Jun 14, 2015 10:03 AM in response to andb

I hope I found a reason of this:

if I use any program, that change desktop view (for example Live Wallpaper) or I have to change wallpaper - every change - efilogin-helper will be started and discrete GPU started because (i mean) it rebuild background on FileVault login page.

And because Apple (i mean) uses some CUDA algorithms - everytime starts discrete GPU

So, if you disable some program(s) that change desktop wallpaper or interact with desktop - efilogin-helper will not start oftenly. Only when You change wallpaper.

This helped me.

Jun 26, 2015 1:14 AM in response to PDykoun

On my 15" Macbook pro 10.10.3, efilogin-helper was using the discrete graphics card and continuously more than 100% CPU power. It came back when I used force quit on the process. I noticed that I had an HDMI cable plugged in, but that the external monitor power was turned off. When I turned on the external monitor, efilogin-helper went away.

Sep 3, 2015 8:00 AM in response to PDykoun

Well spotted. Thanks for sharing.

However, stop using app for wallpapers was not an option for me. I am using Kuvva and the GPU was kicking in randomly. The solution for my case was to disable the auto-refresh. It changes the wallpapers without need for GPU, but you have to do it manually. Good enough for me.

Cheers

Dec 31, 2016 1:19 PM in response to andb

efilogin-helper was hogging my CPU and ramped my MBP (macOS Sierra, Mid 2012 MBP) resting CPU temp from 45 C to 65 C. My MBP was significantly warmer to the touch for a few days. I noticed the "Folders/Pictures" folder selected for my desktop wallpapers was empty. I switched selection from the empty "Folders/Pictures" folder to "Apple/Desktop Pictures" folder for my desktop wallpaper and efilogin-helper immediately disappeared from activity monitor and my MBP cooled down to 46 C in a few minutes even with "Change picture: Every 5 seconds" selected.

For kicks I recreated issue; selected empty folder every 5 seconds. Then set "Change picture: When logging in" that also solved efilogin-helper hot MBP CPU hog problem.

"efilogin-helper" requesting discrete graphics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.