Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal 'Show Holidays calendar' not showing holidays in Australia after upgrading to Yosemite.

Hello, I had been in Italy before moving to Australia and I had set Show Holidays calendar in iCal to display Italian holidays. When I've moved to Australia, I've changed the regional settings to Australia and therefore iCal was showing Australian holidays. After I've upgraded to Yosemite, I can't see any holidays anymore. I tried to uptick 'Show Holidays calendar' and reboot Yosemite, then tick it back and it is still not working for Australia. if I change my regional settings for instance for Italy, it works. It just refuses to display Australian Holidays so for now I'm forced to use Google calendar subscription for public holidays.

How can I restore the iCal 'Show Holidays calendar' ?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Crucial 8GB DDR3, Samsung 830 128GB

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 1:45 AM

25 replies

May 1, 2017 8:29 PM in response to svkrzn

If you are using I cloud account and I cloud calendar configured , an article : iCloud: Change the language or time zone on iCloud.com

Change the time zone on iCloud.com

1. Go to Settings on iCloud.com, then click the current time zone below “Time Zone / Region (iWork only).”
  2. Click the map near the place whose time zone you want to use.The time zone you selected and the name of a city near where you clicked are displayed at the bottom of the map. To pick a different city in the selected time zone, click the city name, then choose a different city.
  3. Click Done.

Also , in system preferences > Date and time > make sure the box for set date and time is checked , click the drop down arrows and choose your correct continent .

User uploaded file

In time zone check the box for set time zone automatically using current location .

User uploaded file

And , in front of time zone : country time zone should be shown , and closest city should be shown .

User uploaded file

Jun 5, 2017 1:52 PM in response to jrhop

I live in Norway, but use English as a primary language. So I had the same problem on my MacBook Pro. iPhone iCal was ok, on macOS wasn't. Had no national holidays calendar there. What I did:

1. I went to System Preferences -> Language & Region.

2. My region is Norway, so I left it that way.

3. My primary language is English. Left it that way.

4. I pressed '+' under Preferred Languages and added Norsk bokmål (in my case, 'cause I live here and I use that language and want the freakin' holidays). Did not changed it for the primary (so the calendar works either way - when you set your preferred 'holiday language' as a primary or as a secondary language).

5. cmd+q on Calendar app on mac.

6. Turn Calendar on and there they are.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

It looks like Apple demands the language of the region you need the holidays for as at least a secondary language. It needs to be present. Hope it helps.

Sep 22, 2017 4:49 AM in response to Owsters

@owsters,

i have been having this problem for a year, spent huge amount of time trying to find a solution and was so frustrated. thanks to your post it worked. here is again a description of my problem and the fix:

- i am living in germany

- my region is set to germany

- my only preferred language is english, which is set to primary

so the german holiday calendar wouldn't show up no matter how ofter i clicked under calendar->preferences.

what i did:

- added german as a preferred language and put it as primary

- restarted

- unchecked show holiday calendar under preferences

- restarted the calendar

- checked show holiday calendar

and the german holiday calendar appeared.

then i went to language and region, put back englisch as my primary language and restarted. voilà!

Nov 27, 2014 4:16 AM in response to svkrzn

hello

same thing on my yosemite system.

i think this bug started to occur after the last update (10.10.1)

before that, the holidays caldendar (as determined by Region) was working on yosemite.

holidays calendar DOES work correctly in iOS 8.1.1 on iPhone, even with Region and Current Location and Language Preference all being different.

Mar 9, 2015 2:34 AM in response to grgarcia21

THANK YOU!!!!! I've been trying to get birthdays to show in my iCal for weeks - since it suddenly and mysteriously stopped. As you suggested, I just went to Calendar>View>Show All-Day Events and presto! all the birthdays listed in my Contacts suddenly reappeared! I don't know why googling this problem doesn't provide this easy solution. Thanks again!

May 5, 2015 7:29 AM in response to svkrzn

Hi guys,

I had this problem too. I resolved it by going into System Preferences > Language & Region and making sure the primary language was "English (U.K.)" under primary languages (i.e. at the top of the list of preferred languages).

I always had this set before, but I think upgrading to Yosemite changed this setting to "English" (without the "U.K.) which I guess is a generic "countryless" language. I believe the holidays setting in the calendar needs to know which country's holidays to display.

User uploaded file

Hope this helps this waiting for a fix...

May 18, 2015 4:57 AM in response to Owsters

I've got the exact same problem and have tried changing the primary language to English (U.K.) but unfortunately this hasn't solved the issue. I'm still not seeing the holiday calendar in my iCal.

Correction: I've managed to get it working again! I had the language set to English U.K. but the region set to Netherlands. When I changed the region to match the language (United Kingdom) and restarted Calendar I suddenly had the UK holidays in there. I quit Calendar, changed the region to Netherlands, started Calendar again and then unticked and ticked the Holidays Calendar setting. And its back! 🙂

I guess we shouldn't make it too hard on Apple, lets all decide to use one language and one region.... 😉

iCal 'Show Holidays calendar' not showing holidays in Australia after upgrading to Yosemite.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.