Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud keychain stuck on "waiting for approval from another device"

I have 2 apple devices an iphone 6 plus running iOS 8.1.1 and a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.10.1 the status of the iCloud keychain on both devices is on waiting for approval from another device. Every single day each device asks me to approve keychain form another device an gives me 2 options "use code" or" approve from another device", when I select "use code" I receive the 6 digit code on the iPhone and entered it, then it seems to work ok but after a few seconds the status of the iCloud keychain changes back to waiting for approval from another device again. That happens on the iPhone and on the Mac, I have 2 step verification enabled and the keychain used to work perfectly on the other iPhones and Macs that I used to have. Also if I select "approve from another device" the confirmation message that used to appear on the other devices for confirmation never shows so I have to use the "use code" option but as I have said I doesn't work.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2014 8:50 AM

33 replies

Nov 3, 2017 5:37 PM in response to Kenmu

I Just fixed it for a customer's Phone. What I did was have her log into icloud.com, clicked on settings, manage account. That brought us to apple.com. Signed in there then went to account, clicked edit on the right side, then turned OFF Two-Factor Verification. (which prompted her to make new or redo her security questions) After that we went back to the phone, it had her type in her apple id password a few times then tried to do the approval and it worked.

Dec 16, 2014 8:06 PM in response to Kenmu

This worked for me. I can't take credit, I found this on another site.

1. Turn off iCloud Keychain if it’s on on all of your devices.
  2. From one of your iOS devices, go to Keychain and tap Approve with Security Code.
  3. When prompted for the 4-digit iCloud Security code tap Forgot Code.
  4. Follow the prompts to reset the code (the easiest thing is to use the same code that you use for the device you’re on).
  5. Now this device should have iCloud Keychain enabled and working.
  6. Now from your other devices, enable iCloud Keychain.
  7. You should get a notification on the working device about this.
  8. Enter your iCloud password in the prompt.
  9. iCloud Keychain should now be enabled on this device.
  10. Repeat for your other devices.

Hope this helps!

iCloud keychain stuck on "waiting for approval from another device"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.