Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone have music skipping with Bose Soundlink On-Ear Headphones?

This isn't an Apple problem but apparently it only affects iOS users (I'm having Android folks tell me there is no issue). I have the new Bose Soundlink On-Ear Bluetooth headphones (well, I HAD them) and when playing my music they would skip periodically. It wasn't all the time but it was annoying enough I had to return them. It was exacerbated by the use of an EQ app, like the excellent Equalizer, but it would happen even with the default music player.

This doesn't happen with any of my other bluetooth devices (not even other headphones) and Bose did confirm they were able to reproduce the problem. But while I've not been able to get any more info from them I did get another user on Amazon to tell me they had the same problem and trying another pair solved the issue.

So I'm asking here if anyone else happened to have this problem AND if trying another pair solved it. No, it won't help me if you tell me you have them and don't have any issues, because your music might not be the same as mine, or some other mystery condition which is causing this may not be present. I need to know if trying another pair is worth the effort (because I like the headphones otherwise). I don't think Amazon will take too kindly to me ordering and returning these multiple times.

Interesting, Bose themselves haven't recommended this, so either it can't be solved with another pair or they are just clueless (because, if they CAN duplicate the problem, you'd think they would have tried it with other pairs just to be sure). I'm not impressed in general with their customer service, and the sound quality isn't as good as some phones (and they certainly are overpriced) but there is no other phone out there that is as comfortable to these ears (and I've tried them all, believe you me -- I think I've auditioned at least two dozen and all of them, over the ear, in the ear, on the ear, just hurt my head after 30 minutes of use).

TIA for any help.

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 4:36 AM

43 replies

Mar 23, 2017 8:53 AM in response to Mike Kelley

You have to turn off all the bluetooth devices that the headphones are trying to connect to. It's a pain depending on how many bluetooth things the headphones are trying to connect to, but that's why it's skipping.

I've been having the same problem on my MacBook Pro, OS Sierra, version 10.12.3, and I turned off bluetooth on my iPhone and iPad, and it's been working no problem.

I recommend getting the Bose Connect App and you can turn off bluetooth on all the devices from there in one shot.

Dec 12, 2014 7:37 AM in response to moman79

Thanks for replying.

In the meantime I've gotten another pair and had the same issues, so I've basically given up on Bose and have moved on (the Samsung Level Overs are particularly nice, although not very portable). Bose has no desire to try and solve this issue, which they admit is a problem. Perhaps their next version of headphones will be worth trying (bluetooth headphones are the hottest headphone market right now, with new models released every six months or so from the same maker, so I have no doubt before next summer Bose will have the MK2 version of this phone available).

Dec 12, 2014 12:20 PM in response to Mike Kelley

Except... now iOS 8.1.2 has come out (today) and I'm wondering if you have updated yet and, if so, if that helped any?

I won't feel comfortable unless someone like yourself, who has the problem, reports it has completely gone away, but it would at least give me the feeling to give them one more try (I can always return them. Again). So if you have not yet installed this update please do so (we all should anyway) and report back to us here what happened regarding this issue.

TIA.

Dec 26, 2014 8:39 AM in response to Mike Kelley

I have had the same issue with these headphones skipping while playing music with my iOS products (iPad Air and iPhone 6). This is particularly frustrating since the headphones are great otherwise. It seems like it would be a fairly simple fix. I hope they fix this, especially since it says on the box that it was designed for iOS devices.

Dec 26, 2014 8:56 AM in response to Klenkule

Thanks for the feedback. Was this issue with 8.1.2?

At this point I've basically given up on them -- there still isn't any BT solution out there I like (other than the Powerbeats, but those are in-ear). However, I'm starting to think that what I really need do is to create my own, using a quality pair of wired over-the-ear cans with a removable cable. Then I can directly plug a small BT receiver in and, presto, I've got the best thing possible.

Some day someone will create a comfortable, quality BT set of phones that works. Right now, there isn't one (and I've tried literally dozens -- I've returned so many pairs that Amazon sent me a warning letter).

Jan 6, 2015 6:50 PM in response to Mike Kelley

I just wanted to chime in to say I also had the same issue with my Bose Soundlink On Ears. It was very annoying and frustrating. I didn't bother testing with turning wifi off because that's just another annoyance, also what happens when you need to stream using wifi? I was offered another pair to test but I didn't want to deal with going back in case the new pair had the same issue.

So I returned them and got a pair of wired headphones. Convenience of wireless is lost but at least i'm no longer annoyed at the skipping/dropouts.

Jan 7, 2015 3:30 AM in response to Vespa Mod

Yeah, I've now been using a small BT receiver with my wired phones and I have to say it blows every other BT headphone (and I have literally tried them all) out of the water.

My favorite setup is using the Sennheiser 598s with this, although a Fidelio X1/28 is also very nice. Note that in neither case is this a "portable" solution (not really good for traveling). For that I use my Powerbeats in-ear.

And I also helped with the Kickstarter for BTunes (which you can Google, since Apple frowns upon linking such things). It's going to be the ultimate BT solution for us all.

Jan 11, 2015 4:56 AM in response to moman79

I am also having this problem with the Soundlink headphones. I just bought them to try them and I love them other than the skipping issue. I would also love to know if there is a true solution since I have also found that it is only the Bose that do this among the few others I've tried. I don't think I'm gonna like turning off my wifi every time I want to fix this so I'll keep looking for another option. The Powerbeats2 are pretty good too but have sync issues when watching video (on both my iPhone 6 and an Android tablet) so those are out too.

Jan 11, 2015 6:11 AM in response to Jrgspyder

After having communicated with Bose extensively over the last two months I'm pretty sure there is no solution to this. Bose are not the only phones that exhibit this, but there are only a handful that do and they all support multi-link technology in BT 4.0. One theory is that in searching for other devices to link is what causes the skipping, but in none of these is there an option to turn off multi-link (which might be the solution).

The good news is that CES has introduced a TON of new BT headphones, and we'll see these come to market this spring. One or more of them may well work for folks (for audiophiles the best looking one so far is Sennhesier's Momentum series, already a respected model among wired sets, the BT version is getting excellent early reviews. But pricey). Unless you need something immediately my advice would be to wait a few months and see what comes out.

You are correct that Powerbeats have sync issues -- sync issues are common with bluetooth but some makers do better than others. My portable BT receivers, for example, have excellent sync across all apps. But as I noted above, this isn't a good solution for those on the go (pairing a portable BT receiver with otherwise wired phones -- although if folks are interested my new favorite is the Fidelio X2/27 model with these. Truly audiophile level sound, at a reasonable price. But not something I'd take out of the house :>).

Jan 11, 2015 7:52 AM in response to Mike Kelley

Just tried this new Bose set again while connected to a wifi network and the skipping is still here so I guess that solution doesn't work unless maybe I turn off wifi completely which is not a feasible option. For me, I am actually looking for an immediate purchase for use at the gym where I will destroy my phone by dropping with a wire attached 😟. Guess I'm on to the JBL E50BT and maybe try the SonyMDRXZ750BN. Think I would have been happy with the Powerbeats but the delay will drive me nuts.

Jan 11, 2015 8:04 AM in response to Jrgspyder

The delay at the gym? What the heck are you doing at the gym that involves watching video?

At CES they did show off one portable solution I thought was interesting -- Jabra Sport ROX. These are in-ear solutions as well, and look to be well-secured and comfortable. Assuming they don't have skipping issues they *might* not have sync issues (in general I've found it's about 30% of BT phones that do not have significant lag between video and audio).

Again, your best bet is to wait a few months. BT is the hot area right now (look at Beats -- they had zero entries in the field a year ago, and now they have an entry in each major category). You can well assume there will be a very different landscape by summer.

Anyone have music skipping with Bose Soundlink On-Ear Headphones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.