Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch 4th gen with iOS listed as up to date at v.6.1.6. I can’t add or update. iPod won’t appear on any pc (Windows 7

I have an iPod Touch 4th gen with the current iOS listed at version 6.1.6. Software Update states that the software is up to date and can't be changed. The problem is that I can’t add anything new or update, backup or sync. Although it can still install update apps and receive new mail. The issue is that the iPod won’t appear as an active device on any pc (Windows 7 & 95). Nothing. All USB leads test OK, I have tried a hard reset, recovery mode & restarting the AMDS. It has its audio sound when connected but that's it. I have deleted and reinstalled iTunes and I have the latest version. It was an expensive Christmas present at the time and I would gratefully appreciate any assistance that anyone can provide. Please! Thank you.

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Dec 2, 2014 6:59 PM

6 replies

Dec 2, 2014 8:46 PM in response to Enolk

Hey Enolk, I'm not sure I understand. Your iPod 4 can not be updated past iOS 6.1.6. iOS 7 and iOS 8 require 512 MB of RAM, only the iPod 5 has the needed RAM. About the only thing you haven't tried is Restore from backup or Restore to New. (note: restoring will wipe all current data, anything not saved to your pc will be lost). Sorry I'm out of my depth with pc issues. Perhaps Stevejobsfan, Stedman1, Neil and Gail from Maine-- they tend to be on at night or Illaass, tends to on in the daytime-- will see this and have something to add. If you got nothing tonight, try refreshing this post tomorrow morning. Wish I was of more help. Good luck, Cheers. (There are others, but these people are heavy hitters and can fix / figure out almost any problem).

Dec 3, 2014 1:17 AM in response to Enolk

The PC needs XP or later. It will not work with Win 95.

See

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

- I would start with

Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP

or

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

However, after your remove the Apple software components also remove the iCloud Control Panel via Windows Programs and Features app in the Window Control Panel. Then reinstall all the Apple software components

- Then do the other actions of:

paying special attention to item #5

- New cable and different USB port

- Run this and see if the results help with determine the cause

iTunes for Windows: Device Sync Tests

Also see:

iPod not recognised by windows iTunes

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

- Try on another computer to help determine if computer or iPod problem

Dec 4, 2014 10:35 PM in response to lllaass

Dear IIIaass,

I truly thank you for trying to help but still nothing seems to fix my unseen iPod issue.

The PC’s I use have Windows 7 installed along with the latest version of iTunes. I have previously deleted all components of iTunes and re-installed. This made no difference. The PC’s do not recognise my iPod in the Windows Device Manager using ‘devmgmt.msc’.

Also C:\Program files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers - do not list ‘usbaapl64’. The folders listed are ‘usbaapl.cat’, ‘usbaapl.inf’, ‘usbaapl.sys’ and ‘usbaaplrc.dll’. Whether this makes a difference I do not know.

iTunes doesn’t recognise my iPod either however it recognises my attached iPhones OK (iTunes/File/Devices) with the options of Sync; Transfer Purchases and Back Up being available. When my iPod is connected, iTunes shows the File ‘Devices’ sections as being inaccessibly greyed out.

So to reiterate, I have tried multiple computers and a variety of Windows operating systems (but I’m running Windows 7) with absolutely no success; the ‘Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus controllers/Apple Mobile Device USB Driver’ appears with my iPhone but nothing for my iPod; the Apple Mobile Device Support is installed; all my USB cables work OK; the device does not appear in Windows or in iTunes; iTunes has been fully uninstalled and reinstalled; the version of iTunes is up to date; the iOS of the iPod Touch shows it is up to date at version 6.1.6 (and cannot be changed) and even a hard reset has been tried. Everything tried and suggested with complete failure.

I can use a USB port to charge up my iPod and can still receive e-mails and can play songs but I can’t add any new songs. There are no error codes because as far as the computer and/or iTunes is concerned, there is no connected iPod. My iPod used to work perfectly. Please help! Thank you.

Jul 26, 2015 2:13 AM in response to csrt2006

See

iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows

- I would start with

Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP

or

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

However, after your remove the Apple software components also remove the iCloud Control Panel via Windows Programs and Features app in the Window Control Panel. Then reinstall all the Apple software components

- Then do the other actions of:

paying special attention to item #5

- New cable and different USB port

- Run this and see if the results help with determine the cause

iTunes for Windows: Device Sync Tests

Also see:

iPod not recognised by windows iTunes

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

- Try on another computer to help determine if computer or iPod problem

iPod Touch 4th gen with iOS listed as up to date at v.6.1.6. I can’t add or update. iPod won’t appear on any pc (Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.