Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable xfinity wifi?

I am not sure if apple can help me solve this, but I would appreciate anyone's input

Over the past couple of months, I have found that my macbook air mini and ipad automatically join xfinity wifi where ever it is available. I do not have an xfinity account, and cannot access this, so it just blocks me from proper internet usage. I keep on setting my default back to my home wifi (which works just fine, and has been for the past 2 years), but every time I turn on the computer, it just goes back to non-working xfinity. Frankly, I am getting quite tired of having to go through this process every time I turn on my computer. Does anyone know of any way to fix this?

iPad 2, Also happening to my laptop

Posted on Dec 3, 2014 5:33 PM

256 replies

Mar 21, 2017 3:31 PM in response to .Walter

Thank you for trying to help however I do not have that option on my iPhone. I have an iPhone 6S and when I go to the place in settings it has VPN but under that there is no option for profile or anywhere else on there. Is there anything else I can check that you might know of. Thank you again for trying to help!! See below....

User uploaded file

Mar 29, 2017 8:42 PM in response to deggie

Deggie, there are many multitude more than 6 that are having this problem. It is definitely a problem that Apple needed to address. And it started back in 2014.

Up through now, xfinitywifi as an SSID hotspot could be forgotten but would get added back due to Apple's auto network discovery into the available network list and iOS would eventually try to join it and get hung up without a wifi connection. True, there may be a non-Apple reason the xfinitywifi login page doesn't show up to allow for authentication, but the Apple wifi connection and user experience suffered from it.

As of 10.3, iOS now includes settings within the xfinitywifi SSID "i"information page to turn off the Auto-Join and Auto-Login. I doubt that would be included in iOS if it weren't significant issue. Maybe Comcast had to pony up some serious dough. Better go check my bill... 🙂

Here is a screenshot for reference.

User uploaded file

May 26, 2017 7:18 PM in response to Firewell

I'm happy to see this thread to know that I'm not alone.

For me, it's not been my Mac, but instead my iPhone just loves to connect to public Wi-Fi hotspots that I've never used before. I've found my iPhone auto-connected to Xfinity's Wi-Fi network several times as well as other cable providers' such as TWC.

Recently, I've discovered my phone connecting to Zumiez while at a local shopping mall. (I found this out when I realized that my internet isn't working and saw that I was on an unexpected Wi-Fi network instead of using cellular data.)

User uploaded file

I selected this network and tapped "Forget This Network".

A couple of weeks later, at a different mall, once again I found my phone had connected to Zumiez.

I don't know why my iPhone is auto-connecting to some public hotspots. I've never connected to them before, so there's no reason that it should be doing so on its own.

Elsewhere it had been suggested that perhaps I have a profile installed on my iPhone that's controlling this. I checked my Settings, and I have no profiles installed at all.

Jul 3, 2017 5:18 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Are you sure about that? The wording there is that if the option is off, the iPhone will connect to "known networks" automatically, but otherwise I'll have to manually select a network. If that option is on, then whenever the iPhone detects an available Wi-Fi network, it'll pop-up a prompt to connect to that network.

If you look at the screenshot below, you'll see how I was connected to Zumiez but "Ask to Join Networks" is, indeed, off, so the only way that this would have happened is if my iPhone already had Zumiez in its preferred network list.

User uploaded file

Jan 14, 2017 7:13 AM in response to jodymaryk

Update...I forgot to come back and post. I did go into my settings and my Networks, highlighted the xfinity and then the '-'. I didn't think it worked at first, but noticed the next day that it was no longer kicking over the the xfinity network. No problems since. Funny that it was such a simple fix and the Comcast tech didn't try it 🙂 Just happy to have it fixed! Thanks for all of the input and whoever it was that gave me this idea to try.

Feb 5, 2017 9:50 AM in response to Firewell

I have a new wrinkle to this situation. I have tried repeatedly to remove xfinity from the Wi-Fi network list as described in this thread.

I keeps coming back like herpes.

When I attempt to remove it by pressing the "-" button, I'm never asked if I'm sure like normal. It just disappears.

Then later if I check the Wi-Fi list via the pull down on the screen there it is.

There are 5 "hotspots" in town. Even the closest one will not give me as high speed as my own Wi-Fi router as one would expect.

I do not rent any equipment from Xfinity. I have my own cable modem and wi-fi router. Not sure how they are doing this but I'm not happy. They did not inform me of this, and I sure did not request this.

It is just another example of Xfinity attempting to control everything it touches. If I had a real alternative, by real I mean as fast connection, I would get rid of Xfinity. I wish Xfinity would get some competition. We are fat with cell phone providers here in central Illinois but only one cable internet provider.

Feb 5, 2017 12:08 PM in response to sparkchaser1200

Not sure if this will help you or not but posting it anyway.

When I originally removed ( - ) the xfinity hot spot from my networks, my computer still went to it and it still showed up in my networks as it does today. It wasn't until a few days later that I noticed it wasn't going to it and was staying on my home network. Maybe I rebooted my laptop during that time? Not sure what I actually did but ever since I posted the update, it has been fine and stays on my home network. I assume you have tried to remove all five of the hot spots?

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be and was thrilled when mine quit doing it (knock on wood!)

Feb 22, 2017 9:21 AM in response to Firewell

IOS: When joining Comcast or Xfinity on an iOS device a profile is created. This profile causes you to automatically join the Xfinity/Comcast Wi-Fi if it's available. If you remove the profile the problem goes away.

Note: You will no longer have access to the Xfinity Wi-Fi.

To remove the profile:

1. launch the "settings" app.

2. select "general"

3. Select "profile" option

4. Select the comcast profile (notice it says it will auto-join the xfinity network)

5. Delete the the profile.

You should be free of comcast

Mar 17, 2017 5:28 PM in response to Briansyddall

Hello, I know your answer was posted a few years back but I'm having the same problem, my wifi on my phone keeps switching from my private wifi at home to xfinity. Thank don't know why this is happening but I read your comment how to fix this and when I click on this the xfinity wifi it does not give the option to click on anything that says forget this. Can you help? Thank you

How do I disable xfinity wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.