Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 can't play YouTube videos in 1080p

Hello,

Ever since I bought the iPad Air 2, I have not been able to play YouTube videos in 1080p. I have tried reinstalling the application multiple times but to no avail. I am using the 16 GB version and iOS 8.1.1

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Dec 4, 2014 12:35 PM

18 replies

Jun 22, 2017 9:15 PM in response to OneBiggBoss

I was trying to get 1080p video on the new iPad pro at the apple store. it won't even let you select 1080p. 720p is the max option even if you click on a 4K video.

I also think google has limited it, or maybe apple (to save battery) but I also use both apple and android and agree with oneBB above. I could select 1440p on my Note 5 using apples in store wifi and it played without a hitch.

As oneBB pointed out, all of googles apps on iPhone are complete junk when compared to the Android version.

Tried it on the iPad 10.5 And the 12.9 and neither would allow or even have an option for 1080P

Apple or Google is doing this on purpose. Neither will own up to it.

Jan 11, 2015 8:17 PM in response to Attyize

I have this same problem I have just upgraded to air 2 from iPad 2. I have a 100mb connection at home and I have never had a problem with playing hd video. this is not a network Problem. I really am very disappointed about it as I bought this iPad as an upgrade. If I speed test my connection it's always over 100mb, I have tried all different times of day and night just in case the servers were backed up but no joy. It keeps jumping from 1080 to 480 very very irritating I cannot even use the utube app because of it.

Jan 24, 2015 8:06 AM in response to gregfromdablock

I also have this problem. Got a speed test of 70Mb/s. Tried connecting to my BT homehub 5 on the 2.4 and 5Ghz speeds. Both seem to run nicely with the ipad but on 1080p and even 720p on the youtube app ... I get stuttering and buffering.

Weirdly, the youtube mobile website streams better without stutters.

Tried a restart, no resolution.

Think there might be an issue with the youtube app from google on the ipad air 2. I cannot think of any other reason for the stutters.

Jan 26, 2015 8:53 PM in response to Attyize

I've been having the same problem. The 1080p videos have always been slow on the iPad, but in the last few weeks the 1080p videos haven't been playing at all. I know for a fact that network speed isn't the problem since my laptop can completely load a 5-10 minute 1080p video in about 10 seconds. I'm not sure if it is a problem with the app or the iPad. Whatever the problem is, I hope it gets fixed soon. It kind of ruins the convenience of having an iPad.

Jan 26, 2015 9:14 PM in response to TBubbamorris

AAny idea what we can do?

it could be the app, or it could be our routers perhaps? I am using a bt homehub 5. It might even be a memory issue perhaps?

it seems to struggle mainly with the 1080p videos for me, and only when lots is happening. even when the grey bar has loaded way in advance. I've tested on both 2.4 and 5 ghz spectrum.

how do we go about requesting a fix for this? I am pretty confident it's not user error.

Jan 27, 2015 2:45 PM in response to Attyize

I have a 5 GHz wireless connection from a $800 Cisco AP and a business 1/1 Gbps connection. I have pristine conditions.

Edit: I've also tried on other friends networks, and at work - same deal. The iPad is completely unable to play 1080p in YouTube. Netflix - no problem. AirVideo - no problem. Only YouTube.

I have several laptops, several desktop computers, a few smart-TV's, and a few Android phones. They can all stream 1080p (even 60fps where available) without any issues what so ever. I can download with 900+ Mbps on the wired part, and with 70+ to 130+ Mbps on the wireless .n connection.

Everything streams 1080p without a hitch. So did the YouTube app many months ago (4?). I used it daily, for approx an hour.

Then, suddenly, both my iPads (3 and 4) starts being completely unable to play 1080p. 720p is all fine and perfect. Only the iPads. Only 1080p. Every other platform plays YouTube (and Netflix etc) flawless at 1080p.

As described above, it simply flat out buffers, and falls to 480, goes up, ends up trying 1080p, hangs, and it is unusable even on auto. Manually select 720p = flawless.

What the Apple happened? As I bought the device primarily for watching YouTube subscriptions at night, this is annoying beyond description.

Apple, please advice. Will you refund my iPads, or fix the problem within an acceptable timeframe? (Ha! Way beyond that, just fix it now...)

I consider your device faulty when not being able to play 1080p in 2015 - especially because it once could.

ps. I've tried factory reset and only installing YouTube app... no dice.

Feb 3, 2015 8:49 AM in response to mjdk

THere is absolutely no need to be upset with Apple Because of this. Let the reader understand, this app is made by Apple's TOP competitor. They simply Try to make Apple look bad, No Joke. I noticed this after switching from a Samusing phone back to iPhone. Their apps work great on their own platform but purposely stutters and lags on iOS devices. These are just more business practices. Google'as Bread & Butter is writing code, this is what they do. Don't be Evil Google.

iPad Air 2 can't play YouTube videos in 1080p

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.