Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop maps "correcting" the address in iCal on my Mac?

When I create a new event in iCal on my Mac and put some info into the "location" box, maps will take its best guess at the address from the info I have included and suggest a full address. It then adds a little map pic of the address it's suggested.
This would be a nice little feature if it didn't totally overrule what I'd written, with a full address (country and all!), which often isn't the location I want to detail.

Please can you help me switch this function off, or at least override the suggestion when it's not relevant.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 5, 2014 9:47 AM

22 replies

Dec 14, 2014 6:46 AM in response to Don H.

Another case of Apple thinking they know better and making their product unusable.

Calendar has been suggesting an address for me for a while, but until recently (presumably a recent "upgrade") I was able to reject their suggestion if I didn't think it was better. Now I'm forced to a workaround to add the details that Apple is helpfully deleting (such as the name of the restaurant) into the event name.

If not fixed in a few weeks I guess I'll be looking for an alternative calendar to use. Pretty soon I won't be using any Apple software if they keep this up.

Dec 27, 2014 3:31 AM in response to tom8two

As others have expressed, this is an annoying "feature" of the Calendar app. I have not been able to find a way to disable the function, but I have discovered this: If you just type in your location information (e.g. Conf Room 5) and ignore all the autofill stuff, then hit the Tab key, Calendar keeps your intended data and drops away all the autofill info. Not as good a turning it off, but at least you can work around it.

Jan 9, 2015 6:43 AM in response to tom8two

Same problem here; and as with others, really annoying when you have a more accurate description of the location than the suggestion. Please can we have a little 'X' in the corner so we can disable this case-by-case. I would not want to turn it off for all, it looks like it could be useful, if not so intrusive.

Jan 21, 2015 1:25 PM in response to tim275

Actually, I have changed my view on this and now let auto-complete do its thing and store any other location material in notes or the title. That way the maps integration works. If the auto-complete were smarter that would be great, but it is close enough to be useful and when I over-ride it by the (clunky and hit and miss) methods described here, it is switched off.

How do I stop maps "correcting" the address in iCal on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.