Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Safari Search is Stuck on Yahoo

I assume its a result of installing some malicious software. I went through the steps of removing install.mac here. I do not think that is what my issue is. But i cannot figure out how to get rid of yahoo as the search engine. Any help would be appreciated.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 5, 2014 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2014 12:16 PM

Try running AdwareMedic: http://adwaremedic.com/index.php.

25 replies

Dec 6, 2014 5:36 AM in response to aspaluba

aspaluba wrote:

I ran AdwareMedic and it removed a bunch of adware but sadly my search is still switching to Yahoo.

You probably just need to change your browser's home page and search engine settings. AdwareMedic does not do that for you. See:

http://www.adwaremedic.com/kb/browsersettings.php

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com, in the form of buttons allowing for donations. Donations are not required to use my site or software.)

Dec 6, 2014 6:03 AM in response to aspaluba

I had the same issue, found a way to solve it after wresting with all kinds of search terms.

Safari search engine stuck on Yahoo, even though I repeatedly tried to change it to Google in Safari Preferences. I found out it was a bad extension called "searchtab 1.0." People are saying you can delete it by downloading yet another app call "AdwareMedic," but I hesitate to fight fire with fire.

My solution:

1. Safari > Preferences > Extensions: Uninstall Searchtab 1.0

2. Safari > Preferences > Search: Double check it's set to Google

More on this topic here: Yahoo has taken over my Safari

Dec 6, 2014 6:07 AM in response to frankensheid

frankensheid wrote:

I found out it was a bad extension called "searchtab 1.0." People are saying you can delete it by downloading yet another app call "AdwareMedic," but I hesitate to fight fire with fire.

AdwareMedic would not help with that anyway, as I'm not aware of a "searchtab" browser extension as being adware. (I'm the developer of AdwareMedic.) Do you have any idea what you might have downloaded that included that extension? If not, I'm assuming you have already deleted the extension... but is there any chance you could restore a copy from Time Machine backups and send me a copy?

Dec 6, 2014 6:48 AM in response to frankensheid

frankensheid wrote:

Didn't mean to offend.

No offense taken! It's completely reasonable that you're nervous about installing some unknown app to fix a problem caused by installing some other unknown app. That's one of the reasons I also maintain a set of manual removal instructions (which also don't contain any instructions for "searchtab").

FileZilla FTP access app was most likely the guilty party.

Okay, I'll check that out. Thanks for the pointer. In the meantime, if you think of anything else that might help me track down a copy of "searchtab," please let me know.

Dec 8, 2014 3:11 AM in response to frankensheid

frankensheid wrote:

FileZilla FTP access app was most likely the guilty party.

You were absolutely right. The FileZilla installer on Sourceforge installed "searchtab" in Safari and an incomplete installation of a highly-obfuscated Firefox extension called "Set Search Settings". (The latter was not actually active on my test system.) I've added both to the AdwareMedic signatures. Thanks for the pointer!

May 13, 2015 8:52 AM in response to Solar-Mpls

Solar-Mpls wrote:

Looks like you got lots of unhelpful advice. I had the same problem and went to Safari -> Preferences -> Search

You will see that Yahoo has become your pref for search engines. Just change it to Google or whatever in the drop down menu.

If that's all that was necessary for you, that's great. That may mean you don't have any adware installed. However, for many people having this problem, that by itself won't fix it, and they need to explore options for removing the adware, such as those given above. In such a case, what you call "unhelpful advice" becomes very helpful.

My Safari Search is Stuck on Yahoo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.