Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook Pro 15" hinge broke completely, after Applecare expire.

The hinges are simply too weak to support the 15" screen after long term use. They are too thin and have big holes for the screws and they break after 4 years and Applecare expired. This is a design flaw. I hope Apple can repair this free of charge. A google search showed there has been cases it was repaired for free. I have used Apple for years going back to White Macbook, 17" Powerbook and iBook G3. I am in Taipei currently and all the stores seem to be subcontractors not Apple owned stores.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 2010 Unibody macbook pro

Posted on Dec 8, 2014 1:18 AM

29 replies

Dec 8, 2014 3:15 AM in response to Lcworld

The hinges are simply too weak to support the 15" screen after long term use. They are too thin and have big holes for the screws and they break after 4 years and Applecare expired. This is a design flaw

like OGELTHORPE said this is not a design flaw ,why, because you can see it,it was band in a opposite way ,i can see it with this picture you post it ,it shows that it was band the opposite way and you can see it in the picture that it was done by force that's why it did pop-out in the bottom like that .and also you can see the screen is cracked in the corner because the metal pop-out like that because it was done

by force.

User uploaded file

Dec 8, 2014 11:52 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

That is a flawed logic. I've had a 17" Powerbook and a 17" Sony that never had this problem. Your logic is like saying : I've had 3 Toyotas and none of my Toyotas had this problem therefore there should be no recall since there is no problem, nobody else can complain.

There are X00,000 Macbook Pro 15 out there and not everyone will have that problem. maybe only one out of twenty.

Google : " randywitch & Macbook broken hinge". The guy got his repaired.

Here's another picture, You see THE METAL SURROUNDING THE SCREW HOLE IS ONLY ABOUT 1MM THIN!

Dec 8, 2014 11:57 AM in response to prince1991

User uploaded file

Here's another picture, You see THE METAL SURROUNDING THE SCREW HOLE IS ONLY ABOUT 1MM THIN!

That is too thin! That is a design flaw.

And that has to support the rather heavy screen and also the HINGE IS actually quite STIFF but you won't know because you hold the top of the screen to open and close, but now that the screen came lose, to turn the hinge actually takes quite a bit of force.

Dec 8, 2014 12:09 PM in response to Lcworld

You certainly are entitled to your view on the matter. Simply put, my experience does not support your contention. Your problem may be a reflection of how the MBP was used (abused?).

I have not witnessed a vast amount of MBP hinge complaints on these forums. In terms of numbers, when does it become a design flaw? You will have to provide the foundation for that opinion in order for it to be viewed as fact.

Ciao.

Dec 8, 2014 6:09 PM in response to Lcworld

Yes I can see the 1mm but you should also know those screws where specially made for the MacBook,and I also don't know what you mean by heavy screen because the hangs they do not lift the scream by themselves they are only mad to keep the screen in the same position your had leaves it ,and if it was a flaw then the hangs should not be strong to stand up like that it should close back down every time when you try to open the screen,and yes it shoubd be like that you need to put bit of force to open the screen it should have been like that since the beginning because like I said those hangs there made to keep the screen in the same place so they have to be strong for screen to stay place

and if you want to take to Apple store they are gonna say the same thing that you forced the screen to open more done The screen was capable of

usually if it's a design flow then you will see hundred complains about it since there's only one or two and basically they have forced to Open the screen to more done what it was capable of ,this is only my option and what I think, but if you still think its a design flaw then take to Apple store and tell them about the design flaw

and good luck with it

Dec 16, 2014 11:16 PM in response to prince1991

I sometimes read the Macbook Pro standing on it's side - L-shaped on my bed before I sleep. Over the years it got weak. That is NOT abuse.

There's no rule that says you can't place your Macbook or any other notebook sideways.

The fact is that the metal frame around the screw holding the screen is a WEAK LINK being only 1 MM THIN!

Dec 17, 2014 2:47 AM in response to Lcworld

Lcworld wrote:

The 1 millimeter metal around the screw holding the screen is simply too thin. I often take my Macbook Pro to my bed and read before I sleep and I place the Macbook Pro sideways on my mattress, standing on it's side - L-shaped. Over the years it got weak. That is NOT abuse.

Perhaps you have identified the problem. I never place my MBPs side ways and have had no issues such as yours. On the bottom of the MBP are 4 'legs' that the MBP is designed to rest on when in use. There are none on the sides. It suggests that the MBP was not designed to rest on its side.

At the very least you are using your MBP improperly and are paying the price.

Ciao.

Dec 17, 2014 2:59 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

There's no rule, no warning that says you can never place your Macbook or any other notebook sideways . You are not a very nice person I can tell Ogel.

The fact is that the metal frame around the screw holding the screen is a WEAK LINK being only 1 MM THIN! That is the problem.

Since you don't have this problem and you really don't sound like an expert, you should just back off.

Scroll down the page many other people have this problem :

http://randyzwitch.com/broken-macbook-pro-hinge-fixed-free/

Dec 17, 2014 3:34 AM in response to Lcworld

Lcworld wrote:

There's no rule, no warning that says you can never place your Macbook or any other notebook sideways .

You are correct, there is no rule placing a MBP sideways. There also is no rule sitting on a MBP , washing it in a sink or using it as a hammer. Based on the information you have provided, I am responding with as objective observations that I am capable of. The fact is, I simply do not agree with your stated position and you take umbrage to that.

The fact is, the MBP belongs to you and you can use it an way you wish. Misuse will often result in unintended adverse consequences as you have found out.

You are not a very nice person I can tell Ogel.

I participate in these forums to provide information and guidance to other users. Dispensing sympathy may be warranted at times but it never solves a technical problem. If that makes me a 'not very nice person', I can live with that.

Ciao.

macbook Pro 15" hinge broke completely, after Applecare expire.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.