Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Illustrator CC tool pallets disappearing

Anyone else having this problem?

the essential took pallets will often just disappear. changing to another workspace brings up other pallets but then some of those don't work right.

I've only had this problem once I installed Yosemite... Seems like an Adobe issue, but odd that these window issues started the same time installed the new OS.

restarting Ill fixes the problem... till they disappear again.

3.2 GHz Quad-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 24 GB 1066 DDR3 ECC

Posted on Dec 8, 2014 9:54 AM

20 replies

Dec 19, 2014 8:09 AM in response to cpage

Yes, and it's driving me bonkers!

Not sure what has happened all of a sudden. I started noticing this behavior about a week or so ago, before the most recent update from a day or two ago (and the update didn't fix it).

One minute, I'll have a file open and the palettes/panels/whatever will all be there, then I'll quit Illustrator. The next time I need to edit the same file, I'll double-click the file's icon in the Finder, and it'll open minus the palettes on the right side of the screen (layers, colors, etc.). The toolbar on the left is pretty much always there, it's just all those right-side panels that keep randomly disappearing (I never close them, and my Pantone color palettes, for example, are set to "Persistent," so those should *always* be there).

For me, it might be time for a rebuild of the preferences file, since I haven't done that in a while. Not sure if you've already tried this or not...?

Dec 19, 2014 8:19 AM in response to Xiebinrui

Today was a new bug. Something new everyday with either Yosemite or Illustrator.

All the pallets, including the main one on the left were about 50% transparent.

With regard to closing any opening illustrator, I haven't had the pallets not there after a proper restart yet. I do think i'll dump the prefs today now though.

I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this with Yosemite.

Mar 19, 2015 6:35 AM in response to PhilDon

I agree Phil.

I'm serious about getting Affinity. giving up 20+ years of software knowledge isn't going to be easy, but adobe and or apple, Don't like each other. they never have been interested in working together. Even though without each other they wouldn't be where they are now.

They both aren't interested in the customer anymore either. They are only interested in this months budget, and how their investors are doing. But I digress.

Just try getting Adobe or Apple to admit that a problem like this one we are having is something they can fix just doesn't happen. the only way is to bombard them both with bug request fixes. otherwise it falls into the either and we hope it gets fixes in the next version of either the software or the OS. and when that doesn't fix it, you know you'll be waiting for a Serious overhaul, like because hardware changed. (ie PPC to Intel)

Case in point. the last few versions of Bridge doesn't work well with the Magic mouse. Adobe says is Apples fault, apple says it didn't change anything.

Until Apple makes a new version of the Mouse, Or adobe rewrites scrolling input for Bridge, people will keep using Bridge 5.1

Mar 19, 2015 8:45 AM in response to cpage

Thanks cpage!

I have downloaded Affinity and will give it a go, though I am still stuffed because I use Photoshop, Indesign and After Effects on a daily basis. I remember when I used to use Quark Xpress religiously and they developed a greedy streak a mile wide and it gave me great pleasure to move over to Indesign and watch the Quark empire crumble away. Yet Adobe now have a real stranglehold on us, as do apple. Give me a PMT camera, some cow gum and a drawing board any day! Adobe a forcing this suite of tools on us, god knows how many applications are available through creative cloud, but I neither want them or need and I do not wish to pay for them either, quantity is not what we require, I would sooner have quality, but that is clearly not Adobe's priority.

Agreed though, competition is the only thing these people understand, but when there is no competition .....

Reckon I need to fulfill my dream of becoming a sculptor!

Thanks again

Phil

Mar 19, 2015 11:10 AM in response to PhilDon

I like that, a sculptor. disconnect from the computer all together... until you need a 3D tool 😝

I'd like to get into industrial design myself...

The good news - Affinity is working on the Photoshop version 'Photo' it's in Beta now so a 'suite' is on it's way. If they add InDesign, we've got a competitor.

The bad news - it's only Mac... for now. so not that much of a competitor, but it's a start.

Hope you like Serif! I've been approved to get Serif, so i'll be getting it soon enough too.

in the meantime i'm going to try out the Beta of Photo.

Mar 26, 2015 1:49 PM in response to cpage

I have found what seems to be some kind of fix for this problem after it driving me absolutely mad! I simply went to the Window menu and turned Application Frame on. This way no matter what palettes are on in my workspace a bunch of palettes appear as a part of the interface.

Not sure this will help others but it has allowed to me contunue without having to reinstall Illustrator.

Dreadful problem Adobe!

Illustrator CC tool pallets disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.