Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Mail show (colored) flags instead of words in the viewer flag column?

Hi,

OSX's Mail.app used to display the actual colored flag in the (classic layout) viewer's flag column; visible and compact. I've noticed recently (since the iOSemite update?) that it displays the words (Red/Orange/ etc.) instead. With a narrow column that used to accommodate the flags, this now shows "R…/O…/ etc. instead. Since my Mail window is only a 1/2 screen wide, there is simply no room for an inch-wide column.

Is there a way to make Mail show the actual flags in that column, rather than the verbose names of the flags?

If not, I can of course rename the flags into a single-character name, so it fits…

Thanks, Tristan

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2017 12:09 PM

This has been happening to me for over 6 months, maybe more. It used to be that it took days for my flags to morph into the words representing the flag color. I would quite Mail and re-launch after a few minutes, and the flags would always be back... and then it was a a day or 2 before I had to re-launch to get my flags back, and then it was just hours before it would happen, and this morning it happened faster than ever before, within a minute or 2. What a PITA to have to quit and re-launch Mail multiple times a week/day just to see my flags as FLAGS!!! And in my case, there is no flag beside the word/color once the flags disappear and the words appear, but when I re-launch Mail and get the flags back, there is a word beside the flag if I drag the column over far enough to reveal it (but WHY would this ever be needed?).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2017 12:09 PM in response to Tristan Hubsch

This has been happening to me for over 6 months, maybe more. It used to be that it took days for my flags to morph into the words representing the flag color. I would quite Mail and re-launch after a few minutes, and the flags would always be back... and then it was a a day or 2 before I had to re-launch to get my flags back, and then it was just hours before it would happen, and this morning it happened faster than ever before, within a minute or 2. What a PITA to have to quit and re-launch Mail multiple times a week/day just to see my flags as FLAGS!!! And in my case, there is no flag beside the word/color once the flags disappear and the words appear, but when I re-launch Mail and get the flags back, there is a word beside the flag if I drag the column over far enough to reveal it (but WHY would this ever be needed?).

Dec 12, 2014 6:52 AM in response to Columbine33

Right; which is why I just renamed "Grey" into "Slate" so all letters are unique. ("Ash" or "Mousy" would also work to this end...)

But... But... Lo, and behold!... The flag-column got its flags back!! Widening it shows that it actually displays the flag with the name of the color next to it; when shrunk to its minimal width, only the colored flag remains visible. Oh, serendipity!! No, if folks can replicate this... (And I hope this behavior does not go away on restart...)

Can Mail show (colored) flags instead of words in the viewer flag column?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.