Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resetting my iMac OS X 10.4.11

Hello,

I haven't used my iMac OS X 10.4.11 for a long time and want use it again, but it's very slow.

I was wondering if I could reset it on any way, I'm not sure if I still have the installation CD so is there any other way?

Is it also solving the issue, I mean is it making my iMac fast as before again?

Kind regards,

Dion P.

<Edited By Host>

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), null

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 12:57 PM

3 replies

Dec 10, 2014 1:06 PM in response to DionPool

If you want to erase the drive and reinstall Tiger, then you will need the original installer DVDs that came with it. If you don't have them, then you may be out of luck because Apple no longer provides support for Tiger. You can, however, call and ask:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes

international calling numbers.

If your iMac is an Intel model, then you can upgrade it to Snow Leopard:

Upgrading to Snow Leopard

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store. Access to the App Store enables you to download Mavericks if your computer meets the requirements.

Snow Leopard General Requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel processor

2. 1GB of memory

3. 5GB of available disk space

4. DVD drive for installation

5. Some features require a compatible Internet service provider;

fees may apply.

6. Some features require Apple’s iCloud services; fees and

terms apply.

If it is a PPC model, then Leopard is the last supported version on that model. Look for retail copies on eBay or Amazon, but be sure they are true retail copies.

Dec 10, 2014 7:08 PM in response to DionPool

Hello DionPool,

Let's make sure which of the several iMac generations you have. Please do "About this Mac" from your Apple menu (left end of menubar) and tell us what the resluting window sayas about your processor type and speed from the line that where I have the lower red arrow in the following image:

User uploaded file

Best to type it in exactly as it shows on your screen.

The range of OS versions possible depend on the processor type and speed. The maximum OS levels are:

• iMac PowerPC G3 233-350mHz: OS 10.3.9
  • iMac PowerPC G3 400-700mHz: OS 10.4.11
  • iMac PowerPC G4 700-800mHz: OS 10.4.11
  • iMac PowerPC G4 1Ghz-1.25Ghz: OS 10.5.8
  • iMac PowerPC G5 (all speeds): OS 10.5.8

If the window says you have an Intel processor, then that's a newer model covered in another forum, and we'll need to to ferret out some more info on your model to recommend an upgrade path.

Jan 11, 2015 1:02 PM in response to DionPool

Before going off on a Windows solution to solving any problem ... Try to pin down the problem.

You may want to run these "standard" fixes if the problem persists.

1) Check the amount of free space on your harddrive. You should have a several gigs free.

2) You should run disk utility

Macintosh-HD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

a) verify the disk

b) update your permissions.

3) Try a safe boot.

Shutdown your machine. Hold down the shift key. Poweron. Wait awhile; wait awhile while you harddrive

is being checked.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

--------------------------------------------------------------

Some semi-random thoughts on addressing performance problems.

Activity Monitor
Look at what is happening with your Mac when you run Activity Monitor.

Macintosh-HD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor

Look at my activity monitor image below.

User uploaded file

Make sure you are looking at all processes.

User uploaded file

Make sure that you have clicked on the cpu tab. make sure the triangle is down.

You can gain some understanding of Activity Monitor by looking at it every once in a while. Look at the small graph below to see the total cpu time used. See what processes are listed on top.

Here is how I have my cpu display set up:

User uploaded file

AppleJack
"AppleJack is a user friendly troubleshooting assistant for Mac OS X. With AppleJack you can troubleshoot a computer even if you can't load the GUI, or don't have a startup CD handy. AppleJack runs in Single User Mode and is menu-based for ease of use."
http://applejack.sourceforge.net/

Console
You can use the console application to examine Mac OS log files. The logs will contain information on various system processes.

Macintosh-HD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Console

File > open console log
this will display the startup messages

and
file > open system log
once the system is started, messages will go into the system log

Other folks
bdaqua advises running disk utility from install disk ( or recover partition ) and performing a safe boot:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2256611
Using the Recovery partition

Hold down command+r at boot.
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4718
http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/03/how-to-boot-into-os-x-lions-recovery-hd-partition /

K Shaffer advises checking for available RAM

Resetting my iMac OS X 10.4.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.