Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini late 2014 vs Final Cut Pro X

Hi everybody,

Is the new Mac Mini (late 2014) with i7 dual core hash, 16MB and 1 TB fusion drive a sufficient computer to run Final Cut Pro X without any problems?

Thanks for your help!

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 10:29 AM

17 replies

Dec 17, 2014 11:48 PM in response to m.fromholland

. . . and a MacPro would be even better!

Let's be realistic . . . every Mac since 2008/9 has been perfectly capable of running FCP X, so you should have no problems with the mini you mention.

Obviously if you spend £1,000 more on an iMac you will have more power and even more with a MacPro.

This power equates to quicker rendering times which only really matter if you are an extremely busy pro with tight deadlines.

The normal editing will be pretty much the same, it's just that you will have to wait a bit longer for the finished video to render and export, but that's no problem for an amateur as you just relax and leave the computer to get on with it's job automatically.

What it boils down to is how much you want to spend, which is a completely personal decision . . . if you are quite happy lashing out vast sums, go for the most expensive . . . but be aware that the cheapest option will do the job, albeit a bit slower.

Dec 18, 2014 12:56 AM in response to m.fromholland

m.fromholland wrote:

… I,m planning to use both apps at the same time...

How do you do that? 😉

four hands?? 😝

For running tools like FCPX and Logic at the same time, it is recommended to offer the Os&apps tons of Ram... I noticed a diff. in performance on my MacMini btw. 8GBs and 16GBs.... No Logic in use here, but I guess it's same.

So,... invest in Ram.

And, as mentioned from Ian before: external, additional drives, usb3 is cheap. Video asks for terabytes and the Logic soundLibs are huge too.

Keep the internal 'clean', consider for extreme multitasking a SSD for OS&apps.

Consider a 2nd monitor (or one of those 21:9 beasts I'm keen on!) , both apps are 'single-windowed', if you really use them simultaneously, screen estate is important...

or, let the wallet decide, buy a late2012 MacMini with 16GB Ram and just use it.................. 😉

Dec 18, 2014 4:18 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thanks Ian and Karsten!

Yes, I do have four hands..:-). No, but I like to see the video and think up a catching tune to go with it at the same time.

So thanks for all your advice Ian and Karsten, I think I will go for the Mac Mini with i7, 16 MB and 1 TB Fusion. Additionally I will buy 2 monitors and an external 2 TB drive. Only thing I am still worried about is the dual core in the late 2014 Mini instead of the late 2012 quad core. On the other hand the dual core is haswell, but Im not really sure how this relates to an i7 dual core.

Anyhow, thanks again!!

Regards,

Mark

Dec 18, 2014 8:30 AM in response to m.fromholland

You're right Ian,

About getting only the things you need to work properly, that's what I decided instead of going for the big iMac.

Yes, I am relatively new to FCPX, but I did already make a product video for a client, he was satisfied so there will follow 2 more.

But I am really into music producing, I am a DJ (parttime) and video is something I just do occasionally on the side. I don't think it is going to be my core business because here in Holland (just in my region alone) there are almost 600 people who make video productions....competition is heavy over here....:-)

My current Mac:

User uploaded file

Mar 25, 2015 7:55 PM in response to m.fromholland

Hi guys I recently bought a brand-new mid tier 2014 Mac mini here are the specs. User uploaded file

And ever since I've gotten I have been using FCP some GarageBand Photoshop an adobe illustrator CS4 light room CS5 which all run very slow especially FCP which he takes forever to render a preview I've switched all of the settings to the lowest as well as trans coded everything into proxy and I'm not working with any huge videos just a few slideshows here and there. And took three hours just to load a couple pictures with a couple of different transitions and affects.User uploaded file sometimes it will stay on this loading screen or an hour without doing anything I'm not sharing it or rendering its just trying to load the preview. And the client I was doing the slideshow for it never was able to even render it so I had to take my whole computer set up to the actual location and play from file cut in the previewer still trying to render the video ends taking forever. I need any help I can get. Thank you.

Mac Mini late 2014 vs Final Cut Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.