Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get rid of annoying Yosemite popup

When my computer boots up, I get a "Get OS X Yosemite free" box in the upper right corner. It has a button for "Details" but no way to get rid of the box. I right click, reboot, nothing works. It covers up icons and the search box. Any suggestions for getting rid of it, short of actually installing Yosemite?User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 1:00 PM

Did you try moving your mouse over the notification, and then swiping with two fingers on the trackpad towards the right?

17 replies

Dec 19, 2014 6:49 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

The two-finger-swipe does not work, thanks for suggesting it though. I first went under Apple's main "Contact Us" -> support/product feedback area, and not seeing an entry for "OS" items (it just lists typical hardware products and apps), I submitted a "bug report" for my computer since I didn't know what else to do, stating that I thought it was poor design that they only have a "Details" button and no "red" exit button on that pop up dialog. I scoured the internet for 10 minutes, looking for info that maybe it was really a Phishing attack. Unnecessary concern and time wasted. Bottom line: Everyone preaches "Don't click on links or popups you don't know... it's a security risk".... then they design a pop up with no exit button? The design team needs some understanding of their user base expectations for communications rollouts. As a side effect, I am now slightly less interested in Yosemite.

Dec 21, 2014 12:27 AM in response to mskl99

Hello

The following is for OS X 10.6.8 but possibly it might be applicable to 10.9.5 as well.

Under 10.6.8 with an App Store update applied, intrusive notifications like the said one is reportedly generated by the following application:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Noticeboard.app

And this application is periodically invoked by the following launch agent:

/System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.noticeboard.plist

Thus you might disable such unsolicited advertisements by disabling the launch agent by:

#!/bin/bash sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.noticeboard.plist

and reboot.

If you really wish, you may optionally delete the application after disabling the launch agent:

#!/bin/bash sudo rm -fR /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Noticeboard.app

NOTES

- I myself have not tried this procedures because I have never applied App Store update and therefore not seen this sort of annoying advertisements under 10.6.8.

- Even if this works as intended, it might have unwanted consequences. So make sure you have backuped your system before modifying system like this.

- NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. I posted this just in hope it might help you to get rid of the annoyance. And indeed if I were you, I'd investigate this noticeboard thing and try to get rid of it.

Good luck,

H

PS.

cf.

Turn off mavericks upgrade notification in Snow Leopard

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6060490

Is there a way to block these pop-up windows pushing that I update the computer's MacOSX to Mavericks?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6059698

Apr 27, 2015 8:38 PM in response to shawne2

shawne2 wrote:

The two-finger-swipe does not work, thanks for suggesting it though. I first went under Apple's main "Contact Us" -> support/product feedback area, and not seeing an entry for "OS" items (it just lists typical hardware products and apps), I submitted a "bug report" for my computer since I didn't know what else to do, stating that I thought it was poor design that they only have a "Details" button and no "red" exit button on that pop up dialog. I scoured the internet for 10 minutes, looking for info that maybe it was really a Phishing attack. Unnecessary concern and time wasted. Bottom line: Everyone preaches "Don't click on links or popups you don't know... it's a security risk".... then they design a pop up with no exit button? The design team needs some understanding of their user base expectations for communications rollouts. As a side effect, I am now slightly less interested in Yosemite.

As a side effect, I am completely ANNOYED TO DEATH by Yosemite.

Can't get rid of annoying Yosemite popup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.