Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Completer wants to make changes

I just got a pop up saying "Completer wants to make changes. The your password to allow this." Has anyone ever seen this?

Thanks

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 18, 2014 5:41 PM

78 replies

Dec 19, 2014 7:28 AM in response to bobshot

Me too, what's this all about? Refusing to put my password in so far. I recently upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.1 and this pop up started shortly afterwards so I've been assuming it's some new Yosemite app that's been automatically set up on my system, however I see none of the other folks here have reported this pop up coinciding with a Yosemite upgrade.

Oops, just seen that this is a 10.7 OSX forum, which as above i'm not on, however this is the only place i've seen people report this same pop up so I'll leave this reply here anyway.

Dec 19, 2014 11:21 AM in response to bobshot

I'm still running Mavericks and got the message yesterday.

My IS Director says he thinks it looks like a toolbar or companion (garbage-ware) application that needs to be manually removed.

The only unusual activity I did on my computer yesterday was installing Reflector and I ran Microsoft Database Utility.

The message appeared while I was on Facebook.

Dec 19, 2014 2:39 PM in response to bobshot

This message is caused by adware, specifically Geneio. A user on Reddit had the same issue & was able to fix it: http://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/2psjoy/getting_a_completer_wants_to_make_ch anges_message/

Your options are manual removal: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/124221/how-do-i-get-rid-of-genieo-from- my-macbook-pro

or use AdwareMedic: http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Dec 19, 2014 5:31 PM in response to bobshot

As others have pointed out, this is due to having Genieo installed. Genieo is adware that is not easily removed, but it can be removed by very carefully following the directions in my Adware Removal Guide, or by using my AdwareMedic app. Note that doing a Finder search for "Genieo" is quite far from sufficient to find all installed components of this adware.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com, in the form of buttons allowing for donations. Donations are not required to use my site or software.)

Dec 20, 2014 5:21 AM in response to bobshot

'Installer' also showing in the devices section of finder when i start computer. However I have searched for Genieo to the best of my ability, including grep searching in cmd line and I cannot find any Genieo app at all. Still getting the 'completer wants to make changes' pop up, and installer loading on start up, but it seems that i do not have Genieo on my mac. Any advice of help? Thanks in advance.

Completer wants to make changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.