Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac HD partition will not appear in Windows 8.1, how do I get read access in windows?

The Mac HD drive doesn't appear in Windows, even though it did some time ago (maybe a year ago?). Running 10.10.1

(was upgraded from Mavericks). Really wish it were there so I could read files off it! Thanks for the help.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 2:30 PM

Yosemite can convert your disk to a CoreStorage volume (check the output of the terminal command - diskutil cs list ). Also, please see windows 8 does not recognise Macintosh HD, No drive Letter.

Apple does not provide CS volume readability (as it did for a JHFS+ file system) as of Yosemite 10.10.1.

11 replies

Dec 19, 2014 2:52 PM in response to Loner T

I don't think I use FileVault; in security and privacy under preference it says it's turned off. I don't know what FileVault2 is though.

Bootcamp drivers are installed and function normally for everything else in windows. Only 1 version of OSX on this Mac.

Here's diskutil:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 449.0 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

4: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 300.3 GB disk0s4

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: Apple_partition_scheme *21.5 GB disk1

1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Wildlife 21.5 GB disk1s2

Dec 19, 2014 3:33 PM in response to saxboychair1

Your MBR is incorrect. There should be two entries before BC/Windows. a 200MB EFI, and then a 449GB HFS, but your display shows a single protective MBR. Was the BC MBR manipulated by any utilities like GPT Fdisk?

The diskutil list and this layout do not match as you can obviously see, so you cannot see your HFS+ volume.

Can you post the output of

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

Dec 19, 2014 3:41 PM in response to saxboychair1

saxboychair1 wrote:

Is there some way to fix this?

Yes.

I used Alcohol 120% recently to mount a drive, maybe that had something to do with it?

I don't really think it was working before I used Alcohol 120, and I don't think that messed with the partition tables.

Partition manipulation should be done very carefully. Data loss discovered too late is very painful to recover from. 😉

Dec 19, 2014 3:56 PM in response to saxboychair1

saxboychair1 wrote:

Is there some way to fix this?

Rebuild MBR to match GPT information thus resetting the Hybrid MBR. Use defaults for other questions (like partition codes). The boot flags only impact Windows. The Bootability of OSX is EFI-based.

1. Sudo gdisk /dev/disk0
  2. P (Print list of parts)
  3. R (Recover)
  4. H (chooses Hybrid)
  5. Partitions numbers to be hybridized: 2 3 4
  6. Y (Good for GRUB question)
  7. N (part 2 boot flag)
  8. N (part 3 boot flag)
  9. Y (part 4 boot flag, make NTFS bootable partition)
  10. W (Write the new MBR)
  11. Y (Yes! write the new MBR)
  12. Reboot

Test and verify.

My Mac HD partition will not appear in Windows 8.1, how do I get read access in windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.