Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod classic not recognised by iTunes on Mac

I have an 80Gb iPod classic video. It has suddenly stopped being recognised by iTunes on my iMac. It IS recognised by the iMac though. iTunes does recognise my iPhone and iPad. I've restarted the Mac and reinstalled iTunes but no difference.

I tried erasing it from the Mac but when it restored, prompting a restore by iTunes then it's still not recognised.

I've plugged the iPod into a pc and iTunes recognised it...so I know it's not the iPod or the cable. iTunes on the pc restored the iPod but it's now blank and not being recognised by the Mac iTunes. I've run a diagnostic on the iPod HDD and it seems fine.

I'm confused as to what to do next...other than put all my music onto the laptop and sync it with that...but that seems unnecessary and drastic.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 1:20 PM

Don't suppose it matters, but it's actually a 5th gen, not a classic

30 replies

Dec 21, 2014 2:39 AM in response to Paul Brook

Yes I'm convinced it's a software issue with Yosemite. Indeed there was an OS update yesterday, before I tried the sync.

I got fed up with wild goose chases so I've transferred all my music to a pc and am syncing the ipod with that. Proves there's nothing wrong with the ipod or cable.

I Will report it via the Yosemite feedback assistant and hope it will be addressed with a future update. Hopefully it was just something that slipped through testing and not something more sinister about Apple dropping support for the iPod.

Dec 21, 2014 7:31 AM in response to Paul Brook

I also submitted the issue

(showing up on Desktop, but not in itunes)

someone said it would also disconnect in about a few seconds, and he got it to sync before this 5 seconds, so it worked for him.

This happened to me, as you discover when this all happens (looking at the iPod´s screen while being connected and THEN opening iTunes). 😠

But I didn´t have more than a second, therefore I got no sync at all.

I hope they get this error soon!!! (Hello, Apple)

Dec 21, 2014 5:13 PM in response to maasmeier

Now things have gotten interesting. I have an iMac at work running OS X 10.10 (14A389) which is not a test build. I brought my 80GB iPod and old iPod Nano to the office to see if they would work. Please note that they both use the 30pin connector. They both showed up on the desktop and also showed up in iTunes no problem. I didn't sync them as they are synced with my home iMac but I think this is further evidence that this is a software problem. I was able to unclick disk mode so I will take them home and see what happens when I plug them into my home computer. Stay tuned.

Dec 21, 2014 7:50 PM in response to Paul Brook

Hi guys i am pretty sure i confirmed it is a 10.10.2 specific issue i have my iMac with the current update and thats the one with the issue my MacBook Pro with 10.10.1 with the same latest version of iTunes does show the iPod my iOS iPhone does show up when connected although i believe there is a wifi sync and the iPhone doesn't show unless i connect it to the machine directly. If anyone else can confirm a wifi sync issue that would help. I submitted a report on feedback assistant as well.

Dec 21, 2014 11:44 PM in response to Paul Brook

Same problem here, on 10.10.2 with iTunes 12.0.1, my iPod Classic 160 ejects immediately, on my mavericks mac with iTunes 12.0.1, all is well.

I've tried forcing iTunes not to run, by getting it into 'choose library mode' (holding down option key, whilst starting), and the iPod stays connected, but as soon as an iTunes library is chosen, it ejects. This leads me to think, it may be a system call that iTunes is using that has changed in 10.10.2, forcing the eject.

To Xavier, I don't see an issue with my iPhone wifi sync, although as I tried reinstalling iTunes to remedy the iPod situation, I did have to set that up again on the summary page.

I've also submitted a feedback assistant report, hopefully a fix will be coming...

Dec 23, 2014 12:42 AM in response to GiuseppeVerdi

The only way to fix this is to roll back to 10.10.1 ... Which I did yesterday using CMD-R. And hey presto, my iPod is recognised and sync-able again!

I have come to the conclusion that Yosemite (in its official release) is buggy enough and better the bugs you know than the bugs you don't. And therefore, given that I don't get paid to Guinea Pig their new software then I won't be doing so, hence forth.

Good luck...

iPod classic not recognised by iTunes on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.