Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't drag, drop, or move icons from dock

The issue exactly is that I can no longer move icons to the dock, remove them from the dock, reorder them, or delete them. The context menu still works fine, I just can't drag and drop. Furthermore, if I attempt to drag and drop from a stack, it reads the action as if I am trying to open the file.

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.1

Things I've tried so far:

• Repair disk permissions
  • Repair ACL permissions
  • Rebuild directories
  • Relaunch dock
  • Reset dock to defaults
  • Rebooting/logging out (both fix the problem temporarily, however it returns within an hour of regular use)
  • Trying to hunt down any extensions that might be causing issues...can't find anything (problem persists in guest account as well)
  • Rebuild and repair kexts
  • Cleaned out all caches
  • Reinstalled OS X
  • Wiped disk and performed clean install.

I don't have anything installed that does any low level modifications (no third party antivirus or tweaking/tune up tools). For the life of me I can't figure this one out and it's really getting annoying to not be able to use my dock.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 21, 2014 12:42 PM

30 replies

Dec 24, 2014 1:51 PM in response to BleachedSleet

Applications/Utilities/Terminal enter the command

killall Dock

Log out/in test. If it works okay, delete the .db from the desktop.

If the Dock is the same, return the .db to where you got them from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you prefer to make your user library permanently visible, go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Learned from leonie.

Can't drag, drop, or move icons from dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.