Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I edit APN settings for an iPad Air 2 to enable cellular data?

How do I edit APN settings for an iPad Air 2 to enable cellular data? I can not find a settings menu for this function.

Airport Extreme 802.11ac, Windows 7, Error -6753 using AirPortSetup.exe

Posted on Dec 26, 2014 11:19 PM

17 replies

Dec 27, 2014 1:11 AM in response to ckuan

I have the article referenced by Rudegar; there is no item called Cellular Data Network so I can not get to the APN settings that way.

ckuan: I don't mind your asking about the SIM; I have installed the Nano SIM sent to me by Consumer Cellular which is the carrier I use with my iPhone 5s that is working fine. I just want to add my iPad Air 2 for data, but so far no luck. I did perform a Recovery Restore as suggested by Apple but still no luck in getting to the APN settings that need to changed per Consumer Cellular instructions.

Jan 20, 2015 2:33 PM in response to ckuan

K.B,

I have an Ipad Air 2 (ATT version) and I also have Consumer Cellular. I am having a devil of a time trying to get the Ipad to work with CC. I have been on the hone with them numerous times, I've doe a erase/reset. I've tried everything. Still no luck.

Were you finally able to get on? If so, how did you do it.

Help!

Thanks

Jan 20, 2015 5:57 PM in response to altajoe

Note from the thread above where ckuan pointed out that the Nano Phone SIM does not work; it needs to be a Nano SIM for Data only. I concluded that CC did not have the Data only SIM so I re-installed the Apple SIM and set up a Data account with T-Mobile. It was done in just a few minutes and it works fine. I use cellular data only when Wi-Fi is not available and that is not very often so this arrangement works for me. T-Mobile's price was very reasonable with an intro offer of 5 GB for 5 months for $10

Jul 8, 2015 10:00 AM in response to k.b.knech

Sad update: numerous calls to Apple and Consumer Cellular and I still have no data capabilities.

Consumer Cellular sent me another nano SIM that I am assured is a data card. They have set my account to accept data. My IPAD see the cell tower and indicated that it is receiving 4g, but still no data flows.

What is very disconcerting is that everyone is telling me to go to SETTINGS / CELLULAR DATA and turn on Cellular Data. I am now supposed to go to APN SETTINGS. Guess what. no APN SETTINGS. None of the Apple Geniuses can tell me why there is no APN SETTINGS. They had me reset, still no APN SETTINGS.

Isn't this an IOS software issue? Do I have a bad tablet? The last genius I talked to seemed to intimate that I should consider asking for a replacement tablet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Nov 25, 2015 12:50 AM in response to Jane Rz

I spent 90 minutes on 6 separate calls over several hours yesterday to Consumer Cellular and not one person I spoke to mentioned their own company's web page, consumercellular.com/iphoneapn.

After reading Jane's post above, I clicked "install" on this web page, which loaded the right Profile ( now visible under Settings/General) and my iPad Air 2 had cellular data working in less than a minute!

Thanks, Jane!

-Tom

Mar 29, 2016 9:31 AM in response to Jane Rz

Like so many others, I spent a couple of fruitless hours with Consumer Cellular, who still "does not support iPad." Unfortunately, Jane's method didn't work for my iPad 2, but I found a way that did, using a standard Consumer Cellular 3-in-1 sim card available from CC or at Target stores.

This may look like a lot of steps, but I've spelled it out in great detail for my 92-yr-old dad in case he needs to do it again. Here's the parent site, if you want to check it out before you update your iPad (or donate to the genius there after it works). http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/

It took just a couple of minutes, and the cellular data function works perfectly now...

• navigate to unlockit.co.nz
  • at bottom of screen, click on "Create APN"
  • Make sure "Country" reads "United States" (already selected when I used it)
  • click on "Carrier" and select "Consumer Cellular"
  • click "Create APN"
  • This will open Settings on iPad. Click "Install"
  • Enter your passcode
  • Click "Install"
  • Click "Done"

Aug 11, 2016 3:45 PM in response to petey52

I did this and it worked great for about 2 weeks. Then CC messages of no more data on the plan. I looked at their web site and it's not true. Now I can't get on Cellular. Any ideas? I deleted the profile and reinstalled. Again it worked, but for a short time and data messages come up again. No help from CC?

How do I edit APN settings for an iPad Air 2 to enable cellular data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.