Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove slow motion quicktime

When I open a video make with gopro a 120 fps under the timeline( in quicktime) there is a timeline for the slowmotion that show me automatically the video in slowmotion. I don't want this and i'd like to know how i can remove it.

Quicktime 10.4, Yosemite, macbook retina 13(2013)

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 28, 2014 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2015 4:55 AM

PS Just for clarity, I am not complaining about this. I actually like the ability to have the slow motion markers, I just wish it wouldn't DEFAULT to the slow motion section in the middle of the clip upon opening, but would play the entire clip at normal speed UNTIL I slide the markers to the section I want in slow motion.

Very annoying Apple, please sort this out with a QT 10 patch!

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2015 4:55 AM in response to audi321

PS Just for clarity, I am not complaining about this. I actually like the ability to have the slow motion markers, I just wish it wouldn't DEFAULT to the slow motion section in the middle of the clip upon opening, but would play the entire clip at normal speed UNTIL I slide the markers to the section I want in slow motion.

Dec 28, 2014 6:38 AM in response to totalyfreedom

When I open a video make with gopro a 120 fps under the timeline( in quicktime) there is a timeline for the slowmotion that show me automatically the video in slowmotion. I don't want this and i'd like to know how i can remove it.

Based on the wording of your post, I suspect you already know how to get rid of it—i.e., simply record at 60 fps or less.

User uploaded file

Dec 28, 2014 7:22 AM in response to totalyfreedom

I know this....but is like close the eyes to don't see the problem.....i need 120 fps.

Since using the high frame rate automatically triggers slow motion routines and there are no user preferences to control this playback action, you have three options here:

1) Use lower recording frame rates so as not to trigger the QT slow motion routines,

2) Record in the 120 fps mode and put up with QT playback as it currently is, or

3) Don't use QT for media playback.

User uploaded file

Dec 31, 2014 10:26 AM in response to totalyfreedom

I know this....but is like close the eyes to don't see the problem.....i need 120 fps.

Had hoped the original poster might provide additional information regarding why high frames rates were required in his or her workflow but not needed for their normal intended purpose of creating ultra smooth slow motion effects as such information might lead to better alternatives than those already provided. However, as three days have already passed, I thought it time to recap this issue for the benefit of other users who might be interested.

BACKGROUND: The basic problem seems to be the fact that the ability to record high speed frame rate video has become more and more common on various consumer recording devices. Originally used by professional and top of the line prosumer devices to provide slow motion sequences during editing, this capability is now available to the average home movie editing enthusiast using the current QT routines built into the latest Mac OS X v10.10 and IOS 8 software. Frankly, I am at a loss to understand why some users are opposed to having these features available to them at the QT X and mobile QT player level. For any persons not familiar with this feature, here are some captured screenshots:

Yosemite QT X Player
User uploaded file

IOS 8 Photos App Player on iPhone 5s
User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

As you can see in each of the images above, when the QT player software recognizes my 720p120 GoPro video file and automatically displays a secondary playback control bar below the standard controller. This controller allows a user to set "in" and "out" points for slow motion playback. In the case of the sample above, the movie begins playback at 120 fps, plays the middle segment at 30 fps, and then switches back to 120 fps for the final video segment. Thus, these players can be used to preview slow motion editing potential. By adjusting the position of the "in" and "out" markers, a user can play all, some, or none of the video clip play in slow motion. Such previews can even be shared as "proofs" with other Yosemite/IOS iCloud users but since they contain the original source data scripted with slow motion playback data/instructions, they are frequently too large for emailing as simple attachments to anyone else.

Such player content can even be saved as a mini QT Player "project"— i.e., saving the file copies the clip as currently edited to a new file container which is paired with an additional AAE (described by the Finder as a "Slow Motion Video Sidecar") file. The AAE file appears to be basically be a PLIST file containing "slow motion" playback data/instructions which I assume represents the embedded modifications to "shared" videos. Here is an image of such file content:

Sample AAE "Slow Motion Video Sidecar" File
User uploaded file

It should be noted that these slow motion files apparently cannot be directly exported from the QT X v10.4 player app—or rather, I was not able to do so. (I.e., files exported normally but without any slow motion effects.) However, it is a relatively simple matter to "share" a "com.apple.AVKit.Share" file to the Mail app, drag it to the Desktop, and then re-encode the file as an M4V file suitable for many uses using the built-in system encoder. I.e., export result is a 30 fps file retaining both normal and relative slow motion playback segments. This is a handy, although less accurate, alternative to the use of professional or dedicated video editing software for the creation of slow motion clips to share with friends and family or distribute as "proofs" to clients. If you research the internet, you should be able to easily find several articles and forum topics complaining of the lack of such basic, built-in support for such clips over the past few years.

In any case, the QT X player can play the 120 fps files with or without applying any slow motion effect. Other players like QT 7, VLC, NicePlayer, etc. avoid this issue by simply ignoring the significance of such excessive frame rates and attempt to play the files at their original frame rate by dropping frames as needed to keep up with the data throughput. Therefore, I can't really attach much credence to the idea that the previously posted suggestions "is like close the eyes to don't see the problem" and that the "need" for 120 fps files here (without explanations) may be less of a "need" than indicated. As previously stated, the recording of content at 120 fps (or greater) is normally performed to comply with specific future editing requirements and its indiscriminate use is just a waste of file space and battery life for the average "videographer" who simply thinks that "faster is always better."

BASIC RULES OF THUMB FOR NON-PROFESSIONAL USERS:

1. Use high frame rate recording modes if you think there is even a remote possibility that you will be creating slow motion clips/segments from your recorded content AND you have sufficient storage media AND battery life to handle the project at hand.
  2. Use the most current QT X or IOS 8 media players to quickly preview or share high frame rate clips with slow motion effects without having to access professional or dedicated video editing software.
  3. Use the most current QT X or IOS 8 media players to create and save slow motion settings that can be recalled later.
  4. Use a professional or dedicated video editing app to create and/or share slow motion project content where frame accuracy and/or fluxing is paramount.
  5. Use an alternative media player to preview high frame rate clips when viewing content at its original frame rate AND it is too much trouble for you to adjust these players for non-slomo playback (i.e., a single swipe of a finger or clicked mouse). But remember that higher frame rates and higher resolutions mean higher playback data rates which may make playback "choppy" at best on some systems. (E.g., my 720p120 sample file has a data rate on the order of a VC-1 encoded Blu-ray disc.)

Hope this post may be of use to amateur videography Mac users contemplating the use of newer, high-speed video recording devices and how to use the basic support now available in the latest Mac OS X and IOS 8 operating systems as part of Apple's QT X modernization program.

Happy New Year to All,

User uploaded file

Dec 31, 2014 12:31 PM in response to totalyfreedom

Ok thank you for this long message and now, I can sey you, I need 120fps becaused for work (snowboard coach) i can look over frame by frame all moment,and I don't want recording at 30 or 60 fps.

The display, non-display, and/or current settings of the slow motion control have absolutely no affect on the ability of the QT X player to step through a video one frame at a time or scrub through the content—they only affect the viewing speed during playback and can be set for anything from no slow motion to all slow motion and anything in between.

What are you really asking here?

The next time you can just say "I don't know".

1. If you are asking how to remove the slow motion control from the QT X Player, you can't. It is programmed to automatically activate when the QT X player detects the high speed frame rates used in your files. (I.e., Apple has gone out of its way to create a "preferences-free" version of the QT X player.)
  2. If you are asking how to remove the effect of the slow motion control during playback, then simply click on the "out" point marker and drag it to the start of the file. (Or click on the "in" point marker and drag it to the end of the file.) Saving the player at this point will store your modified settings to an AAE "video sidecar" file if needed later.
  3. If you are asking how to not display the controllers, then simply click on the player display to ensure it is the active window for stepping through the file frame-by-frame before moving the cursor away from the player window and wait a second for the controls to disappear. You can now step through the video frame-by-frame using the left/right arrow keyboard shortcuts and the slow motion settings will have no effect on frame-by-frame viewing.
  4. If you are asking how to both play the files at normal speed and still be able to step through the file frame-by-frame without having any slow motion control being displayed and with regular controls not displayed within the viewing area, then use the free QT 7 (or similar third-party) player to view your content and which has no slow motion support.
  5. If you are asking how to both play the files at normal speed and still be able to step through the file frame-by-frame without having any slow motion control being displayed and with regular controls/player frame not displayed but with title bar displayed outside of the viewing area, then use the QT 7 Pro player and set the presentation controller to the "None Movie Controller" setting.

If you wish to avoid the possibility of misinterpretations of your questions, then be more specific in what you ask. My previous posts were attempts to cover all possibilities for workarounds for this issue and were targeted primarily for any Mac user making high-speed recordings—not just you. You may have noted that yours was the second such discussion regarding this topic this week as more and more video enthusiasts purchase or are gifted with devices having augmented features. Basically, you have several playback with frame-by-frame options here so you should not be offended by the diversity of this and/or previous responses.

User uploaded file

Feb 5, 2015 4:39 AM in response to Jon Walker

I've read this thread with interest as I am having the exact same problem when playing back 1080p 120fps from Gopro 4 on my Macbook Air.

I seem to be stuck, as I cannot get QT 7 (I'm on Yosemite) and I am only able to get 1080p footage smooth by using QT (VLC etc is just blocky).

So other than physically sliding the slow motion sliders along every time I open a clip, is there not a workaround for this?

Thanks all.

Feb 5, 2015 5:08 AM in response to audi321

I seem to be stuck, as I cannot get QT 7 (I'm on Yosemite) and I am only able to get 1080p footage smooth by using QT (VLC etc is just blocky).

If, you are saying you can't find the correct version of QT 7 to install for use under Yosemite, then use this link: QuickTime Player 7 for Mac OS X v10.6.3 or later

If you are saying that playback is not smooth due to dropped frames, then remember that QT 7 is specifically programmed to drop frames during playback when the playback data rates exceed the platform's ability to render all frame completely.

The is a user-to-user forum. To provide QuickTime Feedback to Apple USE THIS FORM to recommend enhancements such as reprogramming the slow motion control to activated for the entire video or none of the video or adding a manual menu option to turn this feature on or off or "remember" a users last used settings for the controller, etc.

User uploaded file

Feb 5, 2015 5:26 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks Jon, I've filled in the form so hopefully they'll take some action about it, I've suggested defaulting to normal speed playback for the entire clip rather than the middle section in slow motion by default.

I'll download QT7 tonight so hopefully that will resolve that. Do you know what frame rate QT7 can deal with? i.e. if I play a 120fps clip will it miss every other frame so in effect play 60fps?

Thanks for your help.

Feb 5, 2015 5:40 AM in response to audi321

Do you know what frame rate QT7 can deal with? i.e. if I play a 120fps clip will it miss every other frame so in effect play 60fps?

It varies by platform dependent on CPU and Graphic card chip sets and clocking of the system. Also depends on your use of the content. I normally turn projects into 720p24 target files for private sharing via the family "Cloud" RAID device for fast start progressive playback in the 2-3 Mbps range or less.

User uploaded file

Mar 3, 2015 1:12 AM in response to Jon Walker

I have been reading the answers because I have the same problem. I moved the marker points and saved the file. I saved the new file, the slow motion marker points are still there upon reopening the file. I do not know what speed the video was shot in or what a AAE "video sidecar" is. I just want to know how to save a file without the slow motion markers returning so that I can edit the video in iMovie. Thank you.

remove slow motion quicktime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.