Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes 12 does not have the "Manually manage music" option

I have itunes 12 and the "manually manage music and videos" is not there. "Manually manage videos" is the only option. I use itunes for work and I NEED a fix. I am unable to drag and drop as well.

Posted on Dec 29, 2014 11:44 AM

53 replies

Jan 17, 2017 5:25 PM in response to diomed1

I've just done these suggested solutions (which worked) on my iPad Air and I'll bet this "problem" is a silent strategy by Apple to make it difficult to use your own physical music files library (ripped from your CDs, Amazon downloads, etc.) and to encourage exclusive use of AppleMusic. Am I being paranoid? As an added bonus to having checked the "Manually manage music and videos" function, it also made my whole iBooks library disappear from the iPad. I have quite a few books in iBooks and it's a total tactical nightmare having to resync them all.

Jul 16, 2017 10:41 AM in response to DaveinWDC

"Why would anyone even set this up to have the Icloud setting interfere? The two shouldn't have anything to do with one another."

Exactly! Worse than that, why have it so that iCloud is either on or off for all applications? I can't shut it off for music, and still sync Notes, etc. This is either massively dumb, or somehow nefarious as a way of conditioning us into using iCloud. Either way, I rebel. I refuse to use iCloud. This is a real let-down from Apple.

Dec 30, 2014 2:24 PM in response to Jenks855

Hello there, Jenks855.

When wanting to manually manage content on your iOS device, the Knowledge Base article you were referred from provides some great information and practical steps for troubleshooting:

Manage content manually on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod - Apple Support

Manually add items to your device

1. Connect your device to your computer.
  2. Open iTunes. Make sure that you have the latest version.
  3. Choose the content that you want to add to your device from your iTunes library.
    User uploaded file
  4. Drag the content to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. A panel should appear. Locate your device.
    User uploaded file

What if I can't manually add content to or remove content from my device?

To manually manage your content, check to make sure that the "Manually manage music and videos" option is turned on. Then:

1. Connect your device to your computer.
  2. Open iTunes. Make sure that you have the latest version.
  3. Locate and click on your device.
    User uploaded file
  4. Click the Summary tab.
  5. Click the box next to "Manually manage music and videos."
    User uploaded file
  6. Click Apply. If you see a message that your device is synced with another library:
  • iPhone can only add music or video from a single iTunes Library.
  • iPad and iPod can add music from multiple iTunes Libraries, but video from only one iTunes Library.
  • If you choose to manually manage your movies and music with the new iTunes Library, the iTunes content currently on your device will be erased and replaced.
  • You can’t manually manage music while using iTunes Match on your device.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Jul 19, 2015 4:08 PM in response to Jenks855

I think I finally found the solution (iPhone 6, iTunes 12.2.1.16).

When I used Cellular Data it seemed to work, not Wifi.

1) On your iPhone, go to "Settings" and turn on "Cellular Data".

2) Go back to "Settings" and scroll down to "iTunes & App Store" & turn on "Use Cellular Data".

3) Go back to "Settings" and scroll down to "Music" and turn off "iCloud Music Library". You should see "Genius" pop up above "iCloud Music Library". Notice when you go back to "Settings" and go back to "Music" it does not turn back on.

4) Plug your iPhone into your computer. Go to iTunes and click the iPhone icon in the top left corner. Go to "Summary" and under "Options" it now says "Manually manage music and videos". Check it.

5) Go to "Music" under "Summary" and check "Sync Music" and now you able to sync selected playlist like normal.

Itunes 12 does not have the "Manually manage music" option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.