Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is extended LTE

I just updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 8.1.2 and now instead of Verizon LTE it shows Extended LTE. What does that mean?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Dec 29, 2014 9:30 PM

7 replies

Dec 30, 2014 12:41 AM in response to stevefromsalina

Check this solution:

mauricefromtampaOct 22, 2014 3:44 AM Re: iOS 8.1 always in extended coverage
Re: iOS 8.1 always in extended coveragein response to phil1992

Here's the fix:

I had the same issues when I upgraded my iphone 6 to ios 8.1, I was able to chat with someone from Apple and they told me to do this: Go to settings-->Cellular-->Enable LTE--> choose Voice and Data

After doing that it switched from "Extended" back to "Verizon", here's his explanation:

"Okay, so in the process of Verizon activating their new LTE network, they’re retiring some towers, upgrading some towers, and transitioning others. It’s possible that they may have recently made changes in your area, or we’ve just tweaked the settings so that Verizon’s network looks primarily for LTE versus the CDMA network you had been on."

Hope that helps, it worked for me

copied from iOS 8.1 always in extended coverage | Apple Support Communities

What is extended LTE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.