Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad won't accept Apple ID and password after restore and update

iPad got locked and it wouldn't accept passcode. So, we followed the restore instructions to erase the iPad and start fresh. Now it won't accept the Apple Id and password, even though the iTunes store does accept that same apple Id and password.

Why? We thought the restore would be a complete restore and no remnants of the previous software, IDs, etc., would be ... well, restored.

Is there away to do that. Erase everything except what came on it when it was take out of the box?

iPad, iOS 8

Posted on Dec 30, 2014 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2017 12:32 AM

i have the same problem with my iPad mini it randomly restarted and when i got to the apple id part and enter my password it said wrong password and when i tryed it again it said this apple id cannot be used strange isn't it

16 replies

Dec 30, 2014 4:45 PM in response to Scott Hines

Yes, you can restore to factory settings, if that is what you really want to do. But I imagine his is what you had to do to unlock the device, if you want to restore as new, do not restore any backups.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Before you do that, did you try just restarting or resetting your iPad? Maybe a system reset will clear things up.

Restart or reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Dec 30, 2014 4:53 PM in response to Scott Hines

Exactly what happens that it won't accept the pasword. Are you getting a specific error message, or does the device simply not respond when you enter the password.

Have you tried skipping the Apple ID part until you get the device activated again and then try to enter the Apple ID and password in the settings once it is uo and running?

Dec 30, 2014 5:14 PM in response to Scott Hines

After rereading the whole discussion, I took note of your use of the word "we". I assume that this is not your device and you are trying to help someone get through this. If that's true, is the other person sure about the information that they provided to you? If it is and you are still beating your heads agains the wall. You can try here for help.

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

IF that fails, then a trip to an Apple Store would be in order. They will want to see proof that the device does belong to the person that wants to have the device unlocked, so make sure that you bring all paperwork that you have to prove ownership.

Dec 30, 2014 5:20 PM in response to Demo

Sorry, using the editorial We. Though I did have someone else look at to see if they had a clue.

No sadly, this very expensive paperweight is mine. And since I've used the ID and password to sign into iTunes and the iCloud, I know that it is the correct one. I would not use another Apple ID on this device — the aforementioned paperweight.

I've crying Uncle for tonight and taking it to the Apple Store. They can deal with it. It's under warranty.

Thanks!!!!

Ipad won't accept Apple ID and password after restore and update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.