Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i remove SEARCH-QUICK.COM from my Safari 8 in YOSEMITE

Hi Guys,

i have no idea how this happened but i just found out that i have a stupid search-quick.com HOME PAGE that keeps on coming back in safari even if i take it out from the preferences panel. At the Search-Quick.com site they say to remove it to go to LIBRARY/FRAMEWORK and remove the v.framework... but when i go there, there is no V.framework, i even tried to do a search on it and nothing...

what can i do to remove this crap?

Thanks

William!

Macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Dec 31, 2014 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2014 9:09 AM

Start with this thread

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

Related ones here

Adware Virus in Safari 8

Mackeeper and other pop ups

56 replies

Jan 4, 2015 6:28 PM in response to William Bombray

I encountered the same problem (a non-suppressible idiotic ad-filled search-quick.com homepage) today after I downloaded an application called MPlayerX in order to watch an old Simpsons episode. Apparently I acquired an adware virus. The problem was solved upon downloading and running AdwareMedic. AdwareMedic immediately found the culprit: a nasty program called 'pluto'. I deleted all the associated files that were listed by AdwareMedic, and suddenly all is well! I also downloaded and ran 'cleanmymac 2' to uninstall MPlayerX. The bottom line lesson for me is to take the time to read comments and reviews before downloading anything online. [The google entry for MPlayerX warned of possible malware in the installation. The reviews for AdwareMedic and cleanmymac 2 were positive.]

Jan 5, 2015 3:55 AM in response to cbwoof

Be aware that CleanMyMac, and all other such "cleaning" apps, are essentially scams. They are not needed, and CleanMyMac in particular has been implicated in a number of cases of damaged systems. I strongly recommend removing it.

MPlayerX does not need anything special to remove it... all you have to do is drag it to the trash.

Jan 5, 2015 4:11 PM in response to thomas_r.

I am having the same problem, i downloaded MPlayerX to watch a movie and now my safari 8 is using http://search-quick.com/ as its homepage as well as in my tool bar which i hate. I spent hours trying to figure out how to completely delete/uninstall MPlayerX, I moved it to the trash and cleared trash and it did not resolve my problem. I also went to the extensions in safari but it says i have none. Now every time i search something i am getting a pop up as a new tab. I just got my macbook pro for Christmas so i can't figure it out

Jan 30, 2015 6:51 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thank you for the instruction!

I found "v.framework" and moved into the trash.

When attempted to empty the trash can, following message pops up and can not complete the process.

"The operation can’t be completed because the item “libLoader.dylib” is in use."

And of course, the search quick is still active.

Any suggestions please?

Thank you much in advance!

Jan 30, 2015 7:01 AM in response to ackoh

ackoh wrote:

I found "v.framework" and moved into the trash.

When attempted to empty the trash can, following message pops up and can not complete the process.

As I said, removing only that file is not sufficient to remove it.

If you actually looked back at the instructions in my previous message, and found and removed all Downlite files mentioned there, you didn't follow the final instruction on the Downlite removal page: restart the computer. After removing all the Downlite files, you must restart the computer.

How do i remove SEARCH-QUICK.COM from my Safari 8 in YOSEMITE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.