Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have on my macbook air 2 iphoto libraries. 1. Iphoto library and 2. Iphoto library (original). The capacity of the iphoto library is twice als much as with command-I. Can I delete the original?

I have in finder 2 iphoto-libraries. 1. the Iphoto library (with a current date) and 2. the Iphoto-library (original) with a date of last year, when I set back the library from the time capsule. In finder is the capacity of the library twice as much as the capacity from the pictures in finder.

I want to make space available at my macbook air.

Someone knows if I can delete the original library?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 9:35 AM

17 replies

Jan 4, 2015 9:50 AM in response to IJsvogel

If you've confirmed that the newer library contains all of your photos and is working as it should there's no reason you can't delete the original library. You do the confirmation by launching iPhoto to open the newer library and checking to see if it contains all of your photos and they can be edited and used in slideshows, etc.

User uploaded file

Jan 4, 2015 10:01 AM in response to IJsvogel

Rename the original library to "Original Library" and launch iPhoto with the Option key held down. Select the Original Library in the Open window and check to see what it contains. Also check the trash bin in it.

Do the same for the other library. Then put the Original Library in the Dock's Trash bin but don't delete. Open the other library as noted above and confirm it has all of your photos, you can edit them, etc. If all is well with that library empty the Trash.

Jan 4, 2015 10:22 AM in response to IJsvogel

But in the finder the library has 100 GB and the original had 0 GB (but when I click on the original (with the 0 GB) it goes to my full library with the 50 GB

It looks like your "original" library were just a link. Does the icon show with a little curved arrow in the lower left corner?

User uploaded file

If yes, then select alias and enter the key combination ⌘R, for "File > Show Original". Where does that take you?

Jan 4, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you Old Toad. I did the procedure with 1 picture, but It's not the solution. When I delete the picture in the original and switch to the other library; it's gone there too. I think that Leoni has right; that it's a link.

But it won't solve my problem. The pictures are 50 GB al together (also when I copy them all to my IPAD/Iphone etc) but the capacity of the picture folder is twice.....

IJsvogel

Jan 4, 2015 11:03 AM in response to Old Toad

It won't work. I still can switch between the libraries. It really looks that they are the same. I don't know if I have two libraries or that one of the 2 is just a link (like Leoni suggested). But when I delete a picture in one library it is also gone in the other. And the other fact is that the library is twice as the volume of the pictures.......

Jan 4, 2015 11:10 AM in response to IJsvogel

To take a screenshot of your Pictures folder with the two libraries, open the folder in the Finder. With this folder open as the frontmost Finder window enter the key combination ⇧⌘4

Now select the area around the window to take the screenshot and save it to the Desktop.

Then drag the screenshot into the window of your next answer.

Jan 4, 2015 11:18 AM in response to IJsvogel

And the other fact is that the library is twice as the volume of the pictures.......

The size you are seeing in iPhoto is much smaller than the size of the actual iPhoto library.

iPhoto is showing an estimate of the size that will be needed, if you export all photos from iPhoto. But the library may be actually twice the size of this estimate. iPhoto is storing all original image files, that will be larger than the edited versions, it is storing additional previews for sharing with other applications, and smaller thumbnails to speed up browsing.

If your main concern is the amount of storage required to store your iPhoto Library, then you cannot do much about it, other than deleting photos that are redundant and you do not need any longer.

I have on my macbook air 2 iphoto libraries. 1. Iphoto library and 2. Iphoto library (original). The capacity of the iphoto library is twice als much as with command-I. Can I delete the original?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.