Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen corruption

I posted this question in the Yosemite forum, but thought I'd try here as it may be specific to the Mac Mini.

I have a 2014 Mac Mini running Yosemite. Occasionally the screen gets corrupted, and I have to sleep the computer and wake it again to correct it. Anyone else see this issue?

User uploaded file

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 10:09 AM

26 replies

Jan 7, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Rob Broadbent

I posted yesterday to: Mac mini 2014 won't wake monitor via HDMI that I see the distortion when I wake the my 2014 Mini from sleep. (I have an LCD VGA monitor connected to the Mini using a VGA to mini display port adapter.) To get it to display properly, I have to either put it to sleep again and wake it up, logout and login, or unplug the display port adapter and plug it back in. The monitor doesn't have this problem when connected to my old MacBook Pro.

User uploaded file

Feb 2, 2015 2:13 PM in response to edtguy

I'm not sure if the latest update has fixed the issue. I've discovered that I can avoid it by not sleeping the computer, only the display. As soon as I switched "allow computer to sleep" to "never", I have not experienced the corrupt display again. This means that while the display sleeps, my Mac Mini never sleeps. Power draw is pretty low on a Mac Mini, so I'm not too concerned with it never sleeping. I would like it though if Apple fixed this bug.

Feb 10, 2015 8:07 PM in response to LJG2015

I just bought my Mac Mini on Saturday and it has the sleep/wake issue. It also has the distorted image issue. We have 2 monitors, one connected by HDMI and one connected by VGA with adaptor. The HDMI has the sleep/wake issue but the other doesn't. Both have the distorted image after sleep issue. I found that if you go into Displays in the system preferences and click on the "colors" button, the display goes back to normal. Guess I'll add my complaint to the list at Apple Support.

Feb 16, 2015 5:11 PM in response to Rob Broadbent

FWIW, I had a late 2014 mini with 10.10.2 installed. I bought it subsequent to my reading of this thread. Maybe it wouldn't happen to me.......it did. After waking from 'deep' sleep my display would sporadically show static and image corruption. My connection was from mini out -- Apple HDMI to DVI adapter to DVI.

The rep said there were no special handling notifications on her list regarding the mini and this issue. I did point her to this thread and told her I think it looks to be an Apple software issue. She suggested a PRAM and SMC reset, and lastly, to go to an Apple store for diagnostics.

Whereas I had only one day before my return window closed, I chose to return it. I'll also provide feedback to Apple at the appropriate address and point to this thread.

I hope they fix things soon for everyone. Good luck.

Screen corruption

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.