Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All 18,000 of my photos/videos have disappeared. Please help!

I upgraded to Yosemite over the holidays. On January 3rd I downloaded 2 photos from my iPhone messages. today I opened iPhoto and these are the only 2 photos I have in my library. I repaired my hard drive and did the hold down the alt/option key on iPhoto startup to look for any other libraries with no luck. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 11:18 AM

20 replies

Jan 8, 2015 11:29 AM in response to kurtiscamera

I upgraded to Yosemite over the holidays.

What happened directly after you upgraded to Yosemite, when you updated iphoto? With Yosemite you need iPhoto 9.6, so you must have updated or upgraded the iPhoto Library at some point. Did you?

How large is your iPhoto Library? If it is larger than a few MBs, all your photos are probably still inside.

Select your iPhoto Library in the Finder and ctrl-click or right-click it. Use the command "Show Package Contents" from the pop-up panel.

What do you see in the Finder window, that will open? Are there folders "Masters" and "Old Masters"? How large are these folders?

Jan 8, 2015 12:44 PM in response to kurtiscamera

ok, any way to get my 18,000 photos back?

There are two possible scenarios - I can't tell yet, which it is, since you did not tell us much about your iPhoto library. Where did you keep it? In the Pictures folder or on an external drive? And which version of iPhoto created it? The answers to both questions might explain, why iPhoto could not open the library.

1. Scenario 1: iPhoto created a new, empty iPhoto Library, because it could not open your iPhoto library (it may be stored on an unsupported disk, the version may have been to old (iPhoto 7.x or older), or a permissions problem or library corruption). In that case your iPhoto library will be very small, less tha a GB.
  2. Scenario ": iPhoto tried to upgrade the library, but made mess of it and corrupted the library because of a bug. Then your iPhoto Library will be very large, several GB, when you view it in the Finder.

What ist it? Look into the Pictures folder and check the size of the iPhoto Library, and also look inside, as I described here:

Select your iPhoto Library in the Finder and ctrl-click or right-click it. Use the command "Show Package Contents" from the pop-up panel.

What do you see in the Finder window, that will open? Are there folders "Masters" and "Old Masters"? How large are these folders?

I don't think you opened the iPhoto Library package, when you answered my last question.

All 18,000 of my photos/videos have disappeared. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.