Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden loud static noise on bluetooth headset

I'm using LG Tone+ (HBS-730) bluetooth headset on my MacBook Air mid13 on OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite.

Since a few days ago, while I was listening to music and such on my headset, sometimes, a loud static noise (max volume I think) started suddenly, which shocked me and led me to quickly pull the earpieces out. No other sound is recognizable since this static noise is so loud. The noise does not stop until the bluetooth is disconnected by either turning off the headset or the bluetooth module from mac. Turning the headset on again, it works again normal.

While the noise exists, if I mute the volume on mac, the static noise stops, but comes back when I increase the volume again. Volume control on the headset did not do anything.

I'm suspecting either the bluetooth module on the laptop or the bluetooth module in the headset is bad, but couldn't test with another headset as I don't have anything else. It happened 3 times for the past 3 days I have been using it.

MBA is a little bit over 1 year old and the headset is about 1.5 years old, no related problems were experienced in the past.

Does anyone have any clue or similar experience?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10), null

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 1:21 PM

187 replies

Feb 1, 2017 12:30 PM in response to jinkim608

I see that this problem has been reported 2 years... 13 pages of complaints and no response from Apple.

Not only that, I have a mid-2015 MBP running latest patch of Sierra that just began doing that today.

I have Bose QC35 headphones which are bluetooth enabled wireless. I thought initially that it was the headphones going defective. I tried using the cable instead of bluetooth and still got the same static noise. So the issue is not only bluetooth but rather the bug is related to how the laptop sends its audio to external receivers. Apparently Thunderbolt is not having this issue. The audio works fine on my monitor (Dell 3415) which is connected to the laptop using a single Thunderbolt cable.

I put the headphones into its original packaging and getting ready for return but soon realized it's not the QC35 having issues... I know that because I plugged in my previous 5 year old Bose headphones and they got the exact same noise.

I tried both sets of headphones on other sources of audio and they work perfectly fine. I'm afraid I can't listen to quality music at my desk while working anymore... until there's a fix from Apple.

Jan 12, 2015 6:48 PM in response to jinkim608

Yes! I am experiencing the exact same thing. Same headset (LG Tone+, HBS 730). I have a MacBook Pro, from mid-2010, running 10.10.2 Yosemite.

It only started in the last few days, though I've been running Yosemite for a little while now. I had previous bluetooth issues with Yosemite, specifically that the audio would get out of sync with whatever video I was watching. Upgrading to a later build of Yosemite seems to have fixed that, though.

The loud static sound is new, though. Based on the fact that the headset works fine in every other instance I use it (I have two phones that I use with it frequently), I'm fairly certain the issue is with Yosemite.

Jan 30, 2015 6:31 PM in response to jinkim608

I have the loud static problem over bluetooth with a Jawbone Jambox speaker when I wake up a sleeping Macbook Air. If I disconnect via the Bluetooth menu or by power cycling the speaker audio will be normal for a while if continuously used.

This problem started when I applied the 10.10.2 update. From the release notes "Improves audio and video sync when using Bluetooth headphones" so a change was made to Bluetooth in that update.

Jan 31, 2015 9:29 AM in response to jinkim608

Same loud 'static' problem after 10.10.2 update. Just updated iTunes (to 12.1.0.50) a bit ago and my Mac Air late 2010 still has load static problem. BT connecting tp samsung sound bar (HW-FM45C).Last example was coming out of screen save. Prior example was while in screen save (elsewhere in hse). FWIW, WiFi is on as well.

Feb 1, 2015 2:41 AM in response to jinkim608

Same issue here
I'm using a high end amp connected via bluetooth to my rmbp (latest update) it was fine till I updated.
Not sure if related to iTunes or OS X,
when muting the sound it stops.
When disconnecting bluetooth and reconnecting, it stops.
And when pausing the song on iTunes and play again, it stops.

Please fix.
It's happened 3 times in the last hour, with a heart attack each time 😝

Thanks,
Teo

Feb 1, 2015 12:18 PM in response to jinkim608

Same problem here after update 10.10.2 😟

I have a Macbook Unibody Late 2009 with Philips SHB7000WT bt headphones.

BT audio already wasn't great before the update, now it's even worse, i'm always scared to hear that noise.

I use headphones everyday for work so...

I never report on bugs but this time that's very very annoying 😕

Sudden loud static noise on bluetooth headset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.