Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer Slow, how to interpret Activity Monitor ?

Hello All,

I have an old MBPro , 2008. It is running slow and I don't think because it is an old man.

Curious if I can tell anything with the activity monitor utility ? There is something running called "Window Server" which doesn't sound very Mac.

Any tips on how to interpret what one sees in the activity monitor ? None of it makes sense to me except running programs .

Or any tips on diagnosing a slow computer.

I downloaded AVAST virus ware and ran it and it found a couple suspect files but gave no indication of what they were , just that they were on the computer .

Don't know if that is serious or not.

Thanks for any help,

Al

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 1:43 PM

Removing any anti-malware software will help improve matters.

Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory & determine how much RAM is used

OS X Mavericks- About Activity Monitor

8 replies

Jan 8, 2015 2:18 PM in response to UCanCallMeAl

Gene's process would appear in Activity Monitor along with most all processes except a few initiated by the system. Just set the Processes option to show All Processes, list them alphabetically to make finding items easier.

What is it you wish to find for which you think you need Activity Monitor? Are you having a specific problem?

Jan 8, 2015 3:52 PM in response to Kappy

Didn't find any genieo....A couple of months ago I was looking for a way to create a crossword puzzle online and the Genieo spam was embedded in that download somehow. Opening up Safari would automatically open up to some generic yahoo related page. I don't remember how I got rid of that.

The "Window Server" listed in AM sounds out of place . Isn't that a PC thing ?

Several Years ago my PC neighbor who is an unusual person was walking up and down the street with is laptop and we figured out he

was seeing what connections were out there. A couple of years ago a PC server icon would show up from time to time in my Finder window

and I couldn't remove it nor find any info about it. I asked him about it and he "didn't know anything" but it soon disappeared.

Been suspicious ever since of him.

But mostly my MBP which is usually pretty snappy is running slowly. AVAST said there were some infections but it doesn't tell

you how to get rid of them or where they are. I do know my left side fan needs replacing but got no other leads.

Thanks for all the insight,

Al

Jan 9, 2015 10:48 AM in response to UCanCallMeAl

Avast may be slowing your computer. Try un-installing it.

Avast Un-install

Performance Guide

Why is my computer slow

Why your Mac runs slower than it should

Slow Mac After Mavericks

Things you can do to resolve slowdowns see post by Kappy

Try running this program and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read.

Etrecheck – System Information

Jan 9, 2015 12:01 PM in response to UCanCallMeAl

'Window server' is not a PC thing - it is used to manage windows on your Mac (the things on screen you interact with, not Microsoft Windows).

You need to be careful with what you assume & deduce by looking at Activity Monitor, avoid killing things that you do not know what they are. Xenophobia is equally bad on a computer as in real life 🙂

The 'PC icon' in your sidebar may have been normal, when a Mac is setup to run 'SMB' (windows file sharing) it can appear as a blue PC in the sidebar. The sidebar shows devices on the same network, these devices 'announce' what services they have active, sometimes they fail to set an appropriate icon and default to generic ones (often the 'PC blue screen' icon). It could also be a PC (or Linux box with windows sharing active) that was on you network too.

Obviously you shouldn't see other devices if you expect no one else to be on the network, in which case reset the wifi password and see if it reappears. It is possible to examine the 'bonjour records' to see what IP & computer is announcing that service, it seems unlikely a 'hacker or intruder' would reveal themselves so easily.

The opinion on Avast around here seems to be that it is a worthless pile of junk. It is often found on download sites that bundle other junk into the installer, it also seems to find many 'false positives'. It is taunting you with suggestions that you have malware installed, but will not say what or where - are they hoping you will upgrade for a fee? Frankly it seems to cause more harm than good. Perhaps I am completely wrong, however you should search here for more opinion on this piece of software.

I wouldn't install Avast on a Mac, the OS already has tools to stop known malware & viruses etc. Excercise some common sense & you can prevent many potential issues –

• Use a non-admin account for day to day usage - be wary of entering your admin password
  • don't follow links in email
  • avoid 'dubious internet sites' - anywhere that offered paid apps or movies for free etc
  • use the App Store for software where possible
  • enable Gatekeepers 'app store & signed developers only' option (System Prefs > Security)
  • don't download & run apps from just anywhere, especially 'download aggregator' sites (like cnet.com) they can add 'extras' to the installers. The adverts on these sites border on malicious too!
  • get apps direct from the developers website, use https where available
  • avoid links that direct you to install flash or any other 'plugin'
  • be careful with what you connect to the Mac
  • be aware the wifi networks can also attack the OS or manipulate your network traffic
  • if you are mobile don't connect to any & every access point, a VPN can help make the network a bit safer.
  • disable wifi & bluetooth when not in use

If you want an antivirus scanner I'd recommend ClamXAV.

http://www.clamxav.com

It is 'lightweight' - meaning it doesn't attempt to do needless 'cleaning tasks' and it is used by Apple in their email server (in OS X server) for scanning for spam/ malware in email.

I'd also look at adware medic if you want a simple way to look for Genieo other 'adware'

http://adwaremedic.com/

Or read more info on http://www.thesafemac.com

You may find that Avast decides those above pages are a 'threat', this is more of Avast's false matching.

Jan 9, 2015 12:30 PM in response to Drew Reece

Hey Drew, Eric
Thanks for all that info.

Right now: following Eric's post I looked at what;s starting up at log in in sys prefs: DNS Updater (something for the web), Dropbox, and something called "Connect Service (All Users) which is part of a little graphic program that came bundled with computer based on clicking on it. It is grayed out after I deleted it from the computer but won't go away from that log in window. Pressing delete did nothing except put a yellow caution triangle beside it. (Confused by the log in window: Does checking HIDE mean the app doesn't start or does it mean it starts but is hidden?)

I ran Ad Medic and it said I was clean.

In Activity Monitor I saw nothing strange except Windows Server. That icon that used to show up (for several months then disappeared on its own) was a generic looking PC icon; blue screen and tan monitor from the 80's. Couldn't eject it and couldn't get info on it. I do believe it had something to do with my neighbor because has a very Windows PC face; bland and humorless. Or maybe it related to my wife's work PC ??? But her computer is loaded with security due to it being a work computer.

I've printed out your responses and will do further research. This weekend I install my new left fan. Perhaps the computer is tired and hot.

Thanks,

Al

Computer Slow, how to interpret Activity Monitor ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.