Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to get rid of MacBooster mini software?

hate it when this crappy mac software sneaks in... I wasn't paying attention when I installed VLC on a reformatted HD and got it from mac.software (top link in google and it looked just like the Videolan site)... thought everything was fine and then noticed strange behaviour ... did a bot of checking and found out this Macbooster app was piggy-backed with the VLC download! Why the **** this happens beats me, especially as I just can't seem to track it down anywhere ... Spotlight can't find it, going through all the preference folders can't find it... I know it's there as it pops up on Activity Monitor from time to time (see pic).

Any software that "cons" its way onto a mac is suspect and is not to be trusted IMO - any idea how to get rid of it... or even actually find where it's hiding?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Jan 9, 2015 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2015 6:16 PM

Check the links below for options to remove the Adware

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

And, read this article below to see how the Adware arrived on your computer.

How to install adware

54 replies

Jan 9, 2015 6:54 PM in response to stedman1

thanks for the link... I followed the instruction re Genio (but with MacBooster Mini):

Remove Genieo, also known as InstallMac

First follow these steps to stop the Genieo or InstallMac processes, if they're running. Be particularly careful to restart your Mac when instructed.

1. Open the Activity Monitor app:
    You can use Spotlight (Command-Space) to search for "Activity Monitor," then choose Activity Monitor from the search results.
  2. In the Activity Monitor window, click the CPU tab, then click Process Name at the top of that column to sort the list alphabetically.
  3. Look for the process "Genieo." Select it, then click the Force Quit button ✖ in the upper-left corner of the window.
  4. Look for the process "InstallMac." Select it, then click the Force Quit button.
  5. Quit Activity Monitor.
  6. From the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
  7. Type
    /private/etc/launchd.conf
    in the text field, then press Return.
  8. If the file is on your Mac, a window opens with the file you searched for already selected. Drag the file to the Trash.

however I couldn't see "InstallMac" in the Activity Monitor CPU column [closest was "installed" (see pic)... anyway I entered private/etc/launchd.conf anyway and it said the folder couldn't be found. User uploaded file

User uploaded file

if I try something else from that page I guess Terminal understand macbooster as <MacBooster mini>?

Jan 9, 2015 8:42 PM in response to Linc Davis

how should I name it... I mean here we have numerous versions used for Search Project... SearchProtect, searchprotectd, ,,, Ideally I'd like to know the exact specific words needed for MacBooster mini... do I drop the capitalisations? no space between the words, drop the word mini?... there are literally hundreds of combinations.

Remove Conduit, also known as Trovi, MyBrand, or Search Protect

1. Select each line in the list below, starting with
    /Applications/SearchProtect.app
  2. Choose Edit > Copy.
  3. From the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
  4. Choose Edit > Paste to paste the line you copied into the text field, then press Return.
  5. If the file is on your Mac, a window opens with the file you searched for already selected. Drag the file to the Trash.

Repeat the steps above for each file in the following list. If you get a message that the folder can't be found, continue to the next item in the list.

/Applications/SearchProtect.app

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.conduit.loader.agent.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.perion.searchprotectd.plist

Jan 9, 2015 8:54 PM in response to media_lush

here's what I've tried so far.... all with the same result of "the Folder can't be found"....

MacBooster mini

/Applications/MacBooster mini.app

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.MacBooster mini.loader.agent.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.perion.MacBooster minid.plist

/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/CT2285220.bundle

~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/MacBooster miniNPAPIPlugin.plugin

~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/MacBooster miniNPAPIPlugin.plugin

MacBoostermini

/Applications/MacBooster mini.app

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.MacBoostermini.loader.agent.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.perion.MacBoosterminid.plist

~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/MacBoosterminiNPAPIPlugin.plugin

~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/MacBoosterminiNPAPIPlugin.plugin

macboostermini

/Applications/macboostermini.app

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.macboostermini.loader.agent.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.perion.macboosterminid.plist

~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/macboosterminiNPAPIPlugin.plugin

~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/macboosterminiNPAPIPlugin.plugin

have to go to bed, I'll try a few more later.... anybody have a specific folder search that would show up something?

Jan 10, 2015 10:13 AM in response to Linc Davis

I'm sorry, but you sent me to a possibly helpful site that that explains how to Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac (although I believe MacBooster is not adware )- it seems to be legitimate 'improvement' software... I never said I experienced unwanted pop-up ads or graphics. Rather then explain AND SHOW me where I might be going wrong you write "What you're doing is completely different from what the instructions say. Please don't improvise."... this is not helpful at all!

Jan 10, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Kurt Lang

As I said it piggy-backed on the VLC install I did where I didn't check it was from the videolan site - my fault but it was the top hit and all my previous VLC installs always had videolan as the top site... your link is for MacBooster2, my problem is for something called "MacBooster mini" (it has the same icon) that appears for a few seconds in Activity Monitor and then fades away ... to where I have no idea!

Jan 10, 2015 10:53 AM in response to media_lush

"MacBooster" is not the adware. It's a scam, but not adware. "Genieo" is the adware.

My view is that if your computer skills are not up to following the instructions in the support article, then you should not repeat the same mistake you already made, which is to download unknown software at the behest of strangers on a website. If you're going to use that unknown software, it should be because you've done some research to determine whether it's safe and effective. You could do that by searching this site for discussions in which others have followed the same advice you're being given now, and seeing what results were reported. Only then should you even consider running something like "adwaremedic." The fact that someone here tells you it's safe should carry no weight at all. You have no way of knowing who that person is or what his intentions are. Even if do you do decide to use "adwaremedic," and it works, you'll still have a serious problem if you think that you can keep downloading anything you want and always rely on a deus ex machina to rescue you from malware. You can't.

Another option, and a better one in my opinion, is to make a "Genius" appointment at Apple Store (free) or schedule a support call (not free, unless you have AppleCare) and get someone more experienced to take you through the removal process so that you can actually learn something useful from the experience.

Jan 10, 2015 11:03 AM in response to Linc Davis

So you followed the stranger's advice, and it didn't work. That's to be expected.

Why do you constantly repeat such incredibly hypocritical things? Adware Medic has helped a LOT of people on these forums, as has your manual instructions.

Believe it or not, Apple's own telephone support recommends Adware Medic to users, as has been noted here in at least three topics I've run across. Should Apple's advice not be trusted, either?

Do you also forget that you are also a stranger you give arcane Terminal commands to?

how to get rid of MacBooster mini software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.