Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air Logic Board Failure

So here's my story: I bought a few months used Macbook Air Mid-2013 11" (A1465) last spring. It was big money for me, but I was hoping that atleast it would be a reliable tool for many years (basing on the Apple reliability reputation). Going almost a year without issues, last week happened this. I was studying late, and when I went to bed, the battery was almost empty (~5%). I just put it to sleep. When I woke up the next morning, the Macbook had ran out of power, and when I tried to charge it, it didn't do anything. I googled it, and tried many things, like SMC reset and warming the charger. I even tried a different charger, but nothing.

So I took the Air to a authorised Apple reseller (Valge Klaar) in Estonia for diagnostics. And yesterday I got a text from them that the logic board is dead, and the replacement would cost 480€ (570$). I mean, how is this even possible that a mother board just randombly dies? Especially on a great reputation company device...

I was stunned by these news. So here I am now, and because I can only dream about paying that sort of money right now (or in the near future), helpless and hoping for some kind of help from you guys. The laptop is over a year old, so the guarantee is over by a month or two. Should I just sell it for replacement parts? I must admit I am quite disappointed in Apple 😟

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2013 11"

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 6:31 AM

Bought MacBook Air in mid 2015 and it abruptly shut down few weeks back. Reported on twitter but no response from AppleSupport over there. Service centre charged INR 2k to told me that it’s a logic board failure issue but we couldn’t identify what has caused this. The repair costs are INR 42k. Seeing the numerous complaints of logicboard failure issues here, one thing Apple should accept and recognise that if the device is maintained well and there are no visible damages of any form on the machine, the company should replace it at a nominal cost. People have bought the Apple product with certain level of trust on tech and it’s disheartening to see no response from Apple on such issues

@robinarya on Twitter.

448 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2018 6:31 AM in response to Parvetaja

Bought MacBook Air in mid 2015 and it abruptly shut down few weeks back. Reported on twitter but no response from AppleSupport over there. Service centre charged INR 2k to told me that it’s a logic board failure issue but we couldn’t identify what has caused this. The repair costs are INR 42k. Seeing the numerous complaints of logicboard failure issues here, one thing Apple should accept and recognise that if the device is maintained well and there are no visible damages of any form on the machine, the company should replace it at a nominal cost. People have bought the Apple product with certain level of trust on tech and it’s disheartening to see no response from Apple on such issues

@robinarya on Twitter.

Jun 19, 2017 10:31 PM in response to Parvetaja

Hi everyone, thought I would check back in to report that my laptop is being replaced.

This is the second Macbook Air I have had replaced in only three years, both due to the same logicboard failure and 'unidentified issues.' Both happened at EXACTLY the same time - two months outside of the Apple warranty - as some other users have reported. Its incredibly suspicious.

Here is my tips for getting your laptop replaced:

- You must be incredibly persistent.

- Write LOTS of emails - to Apple and to the repairer if they are external. Get everything you can in writing. Complaints to corporations (and governments) in many cases are treated as official complaints only if they are received in writing. Always remember that. It is also a great way to record evidence of the problems you're experiencing with official dates and times. Leave a massive paper/email trail wherever possible. If you are in touch with a specific Apple Care person assigned to your 'case,' address your complaints to them personally and keep emailing only them.

- You must record the fault/s in every way possible - screenshots, videos, photographs, written descriptions. I took around thirty-forty videos of my laptop screen going blank, capturing the sound when it would run hot and loud and showing the spinning wheel of death/processing lag time, and took lots of screenshots of Activity Monitor. I even did my own 'tests' as the battery was draining so quickly, where I would take screenshots of how much was drained, and recording the time and which processes/software I had been using...I then organised them in a PDF in order.

Evidence is your key to getting a replacement at it cannot be ignored as something you're exaggerating/imagining or creating yourself through incorrect use. They won't necessarily look at all your evidence (the repairer looked at about half of mine), but it also gives you the confidence to argue your case. They told me all these things numerous times, and in both cases I have had my laptops eventually replaced because I had the proof it was happening. Doing this much recording also shows you're organised, intelligent and willing to go to lengths to prove the fault is real, which forces them take you more seriously.

- Report things that may seem minor. Once you suspect there is a serious problem with your product, make sure you think about every little example of what has been going wrong with it. Some issues on their own might sound like no big deal, like a couple of keys skipping/jamming as I had both times. But when you add that flaw to a list that also includes heat, noise, screen black outs and battery drainage, together this other minor issue just adds further to the bigger picture of an overall faulty product. Apple does not do full replacements of any unit without a series of problems - minimum of three - being presented for repair first.

- Run all the diagnostic tests yourself. Do this before you waste your time calling them, as this is the first thing they will ask you to do. Record all your results. Test everything possible. They will eventually ask you to do a full wipe and re-install of OSX. If you do it before they even ask you to, you will make the process of possible replacement a lot faster.

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

http://osxdaily.com/2016/06/25/how-to-use-apple-hardware-test-to-diagnose-mac-pr oblems/

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

- Do your research/know your product. Having a good idea of for example, what the normal cycle count or daily battery life should be for your specific product (and its age) when you take it in for replacement will make them take you more seriously if you complain about it. My battery was draining crazy fast, but it kept showing up in their tests as 'normal.' Because I knew what normal was meant to be - from looking at a lot of articles and forums - I could argue that their test was not giving an accurate reading. If you don't know that stuff, you can't argue with them. They eventually retested - on the FIFTH trip to the repair store - and agreed that the battery was not working correctly. You don't need to know everything about how your computer works - I definitely don't - but you do need to understand how it is they measure whether a system/process is functioning or not functioning to know what to record as evidence, and when to argue that they're wrong.

- Pre-warranty period. If the flaw started before the warranty ended and you only realised how bad the issue was just after your product was out of warranty (most people wouldn't run to the repairer the first time the screen goes blank), make sure you tell the repairer that. If it is only a couple of months outside the warranty they should believe you and try to repair it. If they say no, write lots of complaint letters clearly stating/providing all of your evidence - when/why/how the issue began and why you didn't bring it in before the warranty officially ended.

- Expect the process to take a long time. For both laptops, including all the trips to the repairers, back and forth emails and phone calls with Apple, it took MONTHS, not days. The first time took more than six months. Don't expect them to just cave in and give up their products without doing everything in their power not to. It takes time. Keep at it. Be patient, be persistent and let them know politely but firmly you aren't going anywhere until the issue is resolved.

I do have to preface these 'tips' with saying that I live in Australia, and we have very good consumer protection laws which extend well past the official Apple warranty, so getting a replacement here is a lot easier than in other countries. I hope spending my time writing up these tips helps at least one of you get a replacement. Good luck.

<Edited by Host>

Sep 26, 2017 4:30 PM in response to Parvetaja

Same problem here. My Macbook Air quit out of nowhere just after 2 years - went to sleep and never woke up. Super disappointed and such an expensive fix.

I talked to Apple support and they said they don't monitor the forums. If you are like me and would like to have this part recalled, please notify them at Feedback - MacBook Air - Apple .

If by chance the person I spoke to was incorrect about the recall process, dearest Apple please recall the logic board and restore my faith in your customer service and quality.

Sep 28, 2017 6:16 PM in response to Parvetaja

Yes, same here—failed logic board of 13" MacBook Air (built in early 2015), six weeks past the one year warranty. Purchased in mid-July of 2016, logic board dead in first or second week of September, 2017.

The computer was well cared for. The authorized Apple dealer who looked at it, said there is no water damage. It costs $490 (Cdn), plus labour to repair. So close to $600. Ouch.

I called Apple Customer Support tonight, and they said that they cannot help.

If, at some point, Apple decides to acknowledge that there have been enough incidents of fault with the logic board, then they will offer to replace it through their Exchange + Repair Extension Programs - Apple Support.

If you can afford to repair it now, and then later, you notice that this issue is being recognized through their program, they will cover the cost of the repair, providing it has not been repaired using a third-party part, and that you have the receipt. Just something to keep in mind.

I am deeply disappointed with Apple's Customer Support service.

Nov 1, 2017 9:11 AM in response to Parvetaja

Hi all,

My 4 year old Macbook air logic board is currently being
repaired free of charge under “Consumer Law”.

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Upon leaving the store extremely upset that a £1,000+
machine has a lifespan of 4 years it was when I carried out my research that I discovered
that the Logic Board replacement cost would be covered under Consumer Law.

To claim under Consumer Law I simply went onto the Apple online
chat, explained the situation and when I informed the online chat assistant
that I was putting in a claim under consumer Law an apple colleague rang me
immediately and confirmed that the machine would then be covered under Consumer
Law providing I went back to the store I purchased the device from to submit
the claim.

After a lot of awkward conversations in my local store about
how the machine will not be repaired free of charge under consumer law they
then spoke to Apple via the telephone who authorised the repair.

Please note the machine can only be repaired under consumer law
providing there is no accidental damage or liquid damage and it is under 6
years old.

Also a point to note is that if your local store states that
the fault had to be reported within the first 2 years this is simply not true,
they tried this with me!

Jan 4, 2017 8:58 AM in response to Parvetaja

Similar issue with my MBA 13" mid 2013. I had random black screen flashes took it to Apple care , they ran a stress test and what they come back with is that my logic board is failing and we were able to replicate the issue of not being able to restart the computer. What i dont understand how were you able to find a problem that never existed ( not being able to restart ) When asked about what specifically on the logic board was failing the person on the phone did not have an answer. Just annoyed that apple has hired people who are incompetent in what they are doing yes i want my issue resolved but giving me an incorrect answer is not the right way. When i pointed out that was never an issue what i was told is that either way the logic board needs to be fixed and you need to pay 475 $ for it. Is this a joke , why not point towards a specific issue rather generalizing that it requires a logic board swap when it could be a display or a graphic card issue. Disappointed with apple.

Jan 6, 2017 10:44 AM in response to Parvetaja

Couldn't agree with you more. Love Apple, but my MacBook Air and two iPhone 6's I have to chalk up to lemons. The build quality is pretty poor. Sorry to say, I am preparing to buy my son a Windows SurfaceBook Pro and switch to Samsung phones. Honestly, it smokes any Mac laptop out there. If you buy them at Best Buy, the Geek Squad Warranty is the same price, coverage lasts longer and covers more. It appears Apple is going back to the 80's after Jobs was fired. Products are poor quality and innovation is gone, but at least they look good propping open my office door!

Jan 7, 2017 5:47 PM in response to Parvetaja

The exact same thing happened with my MacBook Air, bought in September 2015. At the time I phoned Apple support and got told that I still had a weeks left of warranty and that it would get fixed no matter what. It took me a long time to book an appointment with Apple and I eventually gave up. 1 month later I took it in without an appointment and told them what happened. They said I had hard drive issues and that they'd take it in and fix it. I had read the paperwork for it and seen that they were trying to charge me £500 just to look at it, even thought I was told that as I complained about it under warranty. They looked at the system and told me that it wasn't under warranty when I phoned them. I tried getting the email up on my phone and it kept saying 'there's an error with this email, please try again later'... typical. I went to the place I originally bought it from and they sent it to Apple no problem, free of charge. Now it has been fixed and I was told it was logic board failure. It took them FOUR weeks to fix it and they wouldn't tell me what was wrong with it until after it had been fixed.

I've always bought Apple products and this is the first one that's let me down. They're customer service was shocking and even now, it still doesn't let me look at that email. Probably because they knew they messed up.

Jan 22, 2017 11:46 PM in response to Parvetaja

Same thing happened with me. Got MacBook Air early 2015. 1 month post warrant the laptop just won't boot up. Tried everything including SMC reset and pressing all sorts of keys. Finally submitted to Apple repair shop to find out that the motherboard was faulty. Initially apple rejected my claim because the laptop was out of warranty, however later replaced the Motherbaord for free as one time exception. I was elated to get the replacement for free, however the elation lasted only for 4 months. The service warranty is only 3 months and to my bad luck, just 4 months after the repair, it happened again. This time when I submitted the laptop at the service center, Not only that i got the bad news about the motherboard fault, I also had to pay the huge service charge for Nothing.

Jan 24, 2017 3:58 AM in response to Parvetaja

I have the same problem with my MBA purchased in Aug 2013. Logic board needs replacement which happened twice. First was three months after the warranty period expired. Authorized apple service center replaced a new logic board, no charge. But it happened again last month (2 years after the logic board was replaced). Same problem, logic board. I took it again to an authorized apple service center but they will charge around USD 500 this time for replacement. I purchased my MBA in the middle east.😟

Feb 21, 2017 12:55 AM in response to BicyclingIsAwesome

Awesome! Google searched and found this thread. Amazing that there are so many logic board problems. My MacBook Air 2013 just crapped out as well. I'm currently living in Korea and they say it will cost 611,000krw which is close to 600 usd. Quite ****** about it considering if i replace and it happens again well. Never buying a crap book again. This one being my Third one in 10 years I'm quite disappointed. Girlfriend just got an lg. Cheaper. Lighter. And specs are fantastic. Apple equivalent is 2500 usd. She got for 1400. Time to consider a change I guess.

Feb 28, 2017 3:11 AM in response to Parvetaja

wow, so many people with the exact same problem and none without a solution. I too can add my name to the list. My MBA purchased in Jan 2013 just stopped to function last week and wouldn't power on. On reaching out to the service center, I have been told to replace the motherboard. The replacement cost will be a whopping Rs. 43143 (one can buy a new laptop at such a price !!).

Dear Apple team,

Apple products, which charge a premium (just for being Apple) should also have a best in class after sales support/ repair service. Is this the price that an individual has to pay for being loyal to Apple ?! May be loyalty doesn't pay in case of Apple.

Macbook Air Logic Board Failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.