Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Skype with OS X 10.6.8?

OS X 10.6.8 and Skype says I need 10.9.

Do I have to upgrade the O/S?

Suggestions?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2017 3:06 AM

try this with skype 6.15 & os 10.6.8:

1. Quit Skype
  2. Go to Applications Folder in Finder and Right Click on the Skype icon
  3. Select "Show Package Contents"
  4. Click on Info.plist
  5. Scroll Down until you locate Locate these 3 lines:

</array>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>6.15.0.335</string>

Replace with:

</array>

<string>7.36.0.507</string>

6. Then go to File and click on Save, or press Command+S

7. Re-open Skype

i found it in another forum, it works.

85 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2017 3:06 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

1. Quit Skype
  4. Click on Info.plist

</array>

Replace with:

</array>

7. Re-open Skype

Jul 12, 2017 3:08 AM in response to smayer97

1. Quit Skype
  4. Click on Info.plist

</array>

Replace with:

</array>

7. Re-open Skype

Dec 14, 2017 7:25 AM in response to Mosflm

Thanks for looking at this Mosflm,

The request for installing the plug-in comes when I click on a contact to call them. I can text message them with no problems. This is what it comes up with:

User uploaded file

When I click on 'Install Plugin' it says:

User uploaded file

When I click 'add extension', it says:

User uploaded file

When I click 'go to the chrome web store' it lets me add the extension but it doesn't make any difference, I still can't make calls.

As for saving the info.plist; I guess I don't know how to do that. The date last saved was 2014 and it's the same for all the contents in the Contents folder. When I change the numbers and go to 'file' and 'save as' it offers to save it in 'documents' I can't see a way to save it to 'Contents'. Hopefully this whole issue rests on being as simple as working out how to save the numbers??!!!

So, how do i check to see the actual version that I'm running?

And, how do I check if I have sufficient privilege to save those changes? (I have never heard of 'Sudo', so can't 'do' that either)

Next, I saved the 'plist' to the desktop and then copied it from the desktop to the 'Contents' folder but the old plist remains. I deleted the old plist and the new one is still there with todays date. I relaunched skype and click to call a contact but still no luck, still asking for the plugin.

I'm sure I'm just missing a vital step along the way. Please assume that I have no clue what I'm doing, because I don't. Am I supposed to delete all the Skype files on my mac and then re-install at some point in this sequence?

I'm using the little Skype icon next to the address bar:

User uploaded file

I have no idea if that makes a difference. I've tried everything again while signing in from going to Skype.com

If I launch the desktop app for Skype from the applications folder, which it now is not letting me even do that, it would usually ask for my log in info and then say, 'Can't Connect'. Now when I try to launch it, nothing happens. The skype logo zooms in towards me then pops off and nothing else happens.....

If my version is buggy and my numbers are: 6.15.0.334, how do I find a version for 6.15.0.335? I've uninstalled this a few times now and reinstalled a version for 10.6.8 and it always has these numbers: 6.15.0.334.....

Thanks again for looking into this. I appreciate any help and tips no matter how obvious it may seem to you. I might have missed it. I don't really know what I'm doing with this so need all the help I can get.

Cheers

Dec 14, 2017 10:40 AM in response to gallion1

Hi

Any version of Skype that hasn't been obsoleted by Skype should work - I found that the CFBundleVersion starting with "7" didn't work for me, but since the current version that did work for me starts with "8" I'd guess it is more future proofed. BIMWBW...

Apropos WaltzingMatilda's problem, it looks to me as if they are using a plug-in to Chrome, and not the standalone application - I've never run Skype from a browser so I might be wrong. My advice (and gallion1's) refer to the standalone application.

As for saving the info.plist; I guess I don't know how to do that. The date last saved was 2014 and it's the same for all the contents in the Contents folder. When I change the numbers and go to 'file' and 'save as' it offers to save it in 'documents' I can't see a way to save it to 'Contents'. Hopefully this whole issue rests on being as simple as working out how to save the numbers??!!!

Probably - see below

So, how do i check to see the actual version that I'm running?

And, how do I check if I have sufficient privilege to save those changes?

On the Mac top bar, go to "Skype" (when you have it running) and choose "About Skype" - you'll get a pop-up that gives you this information.

User uploaded file

(I have never heard of 'Sudo', so can't 'do' that either)

"sudo" (no capital letter to begin with) raises your privilege level when you are running from the Terminal or an x-term; preceding any command with "sudo " lets you do things that can possibly damage your system or environment, for example over-writing important files. You will have probably come across its functions without realising it when using a software installer, when you get a pop-up with your username and a request to enter an administration password.

Next, I saved the 'plist' to the desktop and then copied it from the desktop to the 'Contents' folder but the old plist remains. I deleted the old plist and the new one is still there with todays date.

Looks like you're almost there, in this case, but

I'm using the little Skype icon next to the address bar:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/925665040

Looks as if you are running a browser plugin. I would say "try double clicking the Skype icon in your Applications folder instead" but it looks like you've already done that. At the moment, this leaves me with addressing this point -

If my version is buggy and my numbers are: 6.15.0.334, how do I find a version for 6.15.0.335? I've uninstalled this a few times now and reinstalled a version for 10.6.8 and it always has these numbers: 6.15.0.334.....

Surprisingly, 6.15.0.335 is available on the skype downloads website - here's the link that I used today -

http://download.skype.com/macosx/Skype_6.15.0.335.dmg

I hope some of this helps!

Aug 28, 2017 9:38 AM in response to bradfordbev

Step 1

1. Quit Skype
  4. Click on Info.plist

</array>

Replace with:

</array>

7. Re-open Skype

Step 2

If that doesn't work, then Remove all of the current skype files from your computer. To completely uninstall, and then reinstall Skype for Mac:

1. Open your Applications folder and drag your copy of Skype to the trash.
  2. Then open ~/Library/Application Support * and drag the Skype folder to the trash. The ~sign represents your home folder. To find your home folder, open Finder and, from the menu bar, select Go > Home.

Important: If you’d like to keep your chat and call history, skip the following step.

1. Open ~/Library/Preferences and drag com.skype.skype.plist to the trash.
  2. Open Finder and search for “Skype” using the search feature in Mac OS X. Move all of the results returned to the trash.
  3. Empty Trash.
  4. Restart your computer.

Step 3

Download from a safe website Skype Version 6.15 for Mac.

Step 4

Install Skype by double clicking on the downloaded file and dragging the Skype icon to the applications folder and Repeat Step 1.

Then go to Applications, Open Skype and Log In.

Hope that helps 🙂

Dec 1, 2017 2:49 AM in response to bradfordbev

Skype has changed around the end of November 2017 (worked for me on 29th, not on 30th) - I got the message that I need to upgrade the OS (which won't work for my 32-bit iMac...). Apfelmuseins' answer from July 12th should now read (note the only difference from that is the CFBundleVersion needs to be 8.11.0.4 rather than 7.36.0.507)

1. Quit Skype
  4. Click on Info.plist

</array>

Replace with:

</array>

<string>8.11.0.4</string>

7. Re-open Skype

Then Skype worked for me.

Dec 14, 2017 9:28 AM in response to waltzing matilda

1. Quit Skype
  3. Click on "Contents"
  4. Right click on Info.plist
  5. Click on "Open With"
  6. Click on "Other"
  7. Select "TextEdit"
  8. Scroll Down until you locate Locate these 3 lines:

</array>

<string>6.15.0.334</string>

Replace with:

</array>

<string>7.58.501</string>

7. Re-open Skype

Then Skype opened for me on my iMac9,1 Intel Core 2 Duo running 10.6.8

To be truthful, I have not actually made any calls but all of my contacts are there and I had the same problems you had until I changed the plist string. Now Skype opens fine.

Jul 11, 2017 8:10 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

As of today July 11, 2017, can no longer sign into Skype using v6.15 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). Says "...because you're using an outdated version..." yet I was able to sign in back in late May 2017 (the last time I tried).

Any way around this? I cannot upgrade my Mac OS X at this time to be able to run the latest version of Skype, which needs Mac OS X 10.9 or higher.

Jul 11, 2017 11:33 PM in response to smayer97

If, as appears to be the case, Microsoft are deliberately blocking older versions then I don't see that there's anything you can do except to make your displeasure known to Microsoft. Apparently they've already had a lot of protests - obviously I have not idea whether there's any chance of their being pressured to change their corporate minds.

Jul 12, 2017 1:56 PM in response to RomkaV

I think i'd figured it out... Video and voice calls work properly only in following cases:

1) If person i call have LAPTOP skype version 7 xxx and higher (tested with my MacBook Pro 2010 with OS X10.6.8 and skype 6.15 and my wife's Macbook Pro 2010 with OS X 10.12 and skype 7 xxx) ;

2) If person i call have IOS skype version 7 xxx and LOWER (tested with my MacBook Pro 2010 with OS X10.6.8 and skype 6.15 and my wife's Ipad Air with IOS 10.3.2 and skype 7 xxx)

When i tried to call on wife's Iphone 10.3.2 whith skype 8 xxx it not worked.

(Pardon my English)

Jul 16, 2017 3:59 AM in response to Jerry Hollands

did you have any success with that? Yesterday Skype worked fine, today it tells me I need to upgrade and upgrade does not work with my 10.6.8 system. I don't want to upgrade my OS system just yet, and I have tried downloading an older Skype version (since I had tried upgrading I deleted messed-up installed version) but it keeps giving me the message Skype cannot connect. I tried signing in with Facebook but all I got was the Facebook page not the Skype page, am I missing something? I hate windows!

Jul 18, 2017 2:43 PM in response to bradfordbev

Thank you Bradfordbev, thank you thank you!!! (I'd say God bless you, if I knew you believed in God, and just bless you in any case), because you've saved my you-know-what ... as you probably know, Skype has done a totally disgusting thing, and BLOCKED those of us who don't want to play the upgrade game ... your suggestion worked beautifully, and I have Skype again...

Jul 19, 2017 1:04 AM in response to Apfelmuseins

Hello Apfelmuseins and Bradfordbev, you've saved my a_s ! Thank you thank you! Just a few days ago, the (bleep)holes at Skype decided that not supporting users of OS below 10.9 was not enough --- they needed to sabotage us also...no more Skype for you, bad boy, until you upgrade your system! Disgusting. Thank God there are folks like you who really help

Jul 20, 2017 5:04 AM in response to Apfelmuseins

Hello Apfelmuseins !

Thank you for sharing a way to stop Microsoft hounding happy users with unnecessary updates and regularly complicating simple things that are helpful and have worked perfectly for years. I could not believe that the easy procedure you describe would actually work. I am one of those guys who HATES fooling with the "guts" of a program or computer... but the risk this time was minimal - at worse I would just have to find another way to screw Microsoft...

Your solution worked perfectly first time on both my DeskTop iMac and my MacBook Pro. THANK YOU ! I can talk to my family with Skype again ! (until MicroSoft finds some other way to **** us off !)

Alain (happy!)

How to Skype with OS X 10.6.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.