Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you finalise a movie in iMovie 10.0.6?

I have just spent the last two weeks compiling photos and videos into an hour long video on my Macbook Air, which has consequently used up all of my hard rive space. Now that it is complete, I am trying to burn it to a disc so I can delete the footage from my Mac. In my older version on iMovie, I clicked finalise and then chose to burn to disc. But these options are not in this new version???? Does anyone know how to get my movie onto a disc???

MacBook Air, iOS 8.1.2, iMovie 10.0.6

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 12:08 AM

17 replies

Jan 14, 2015 12:31 AM in response to Whiteman1975

You need to export your movie to DVD authoring software like iDVD or Roxio Toast.

iDVD is no longer available, but will still work up to OS X Mavericks (I am not sure if iDVD still works in OS X Yosemite).

To get the full iDVD app version, you must purchase Apple's iLIfe ' 09 and do a custom install only installing the iDVD software.

iLife '09 found here.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB966Z-A-iLife-VERSION/dp/B0014X5XEK/ref=sr_1_1?s=so ftware&ie=UTF8&qid=1421224144&sr=1-1&keywords=iLife+%2709

OR you can purchase Roxio Toast from here which I know for sure is compatible up to Yosemite.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/

Jan 14, 2015 1:02 AM in response to Whiteman1975

Whiteman1975 wrote:

Thanks for your reply MichelPM.

I only have iLife '11, but this does not have iDVD on it.

So correct me if I am wrong, but because I have upgraded to the latest operating system, being Yosemite, I have to purchase another app (iLife '09 or Roxio Toast) so that I can do what I used to do for free before upgrading?????

If you have iLIfe '11, then you certainly have iDVD on that disc It is a limited version, though. No DVD theme menus.

Maybe you need to do a custom install of iDVD from the iLife ' 11 disc.

I just do not know for sure if it works with Yosemite as I jettisoned Yosemite a week or so, ago, for other operational and UI issues.

You should be able to install iDVD '11 from the iLIfe discs, then try and use it.

If iDVD '11 no longer works with Yosemite, then you'll need to get the most up to date Roxio Toast.

Features of iLife '11

Product Features

• iLife '11 lets you do more with photos, movies, and music than you ever thought possible, with new versions of iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand.
  • In iPhoto, you can browse, edit, and share your photos with new full-screen views--
  • Or create professional-quality books, letterpress cards, or more.
  • Turn your home video into a movie masterpiece with iMovie,
  • Also includes iWeb and iDVD for creating instant websites or your own straight-to-DVD classic.

Jan 14, 2015 1:13 AM in response to Whiteman1975

I haven't much experience using new versions of iMovie as I have stayed on OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks so I can still continue using my older and much more comprehensive versions of iMovie '06 HD and FinalCut Express 4.

Does the new versions of iMovie have an Export option in any of the main menu options?

Such as Export to a video file such as MPEG-2 format?

If you can export to a video file, you can just drop that file onto iDVD project window.

Jan 14, 2015 1:19 AM in response to MichelPM

No it doesn't - that's the problem. There is no 'Export' option. There is now a 'Share' option, but it only gives you share choices like; Theatre, Email, iTunes, Facebook, Youtube, Vimeo, Image, File and CNN ireport.

I have tried 'Sharing' as a 'file' and saving to an external hard drive (as I have only 3gb left on the Mac), but it keeps crashing halfway through - maybe to do with the size of the file (8.4gb)???? So then I tried lowering the movie quality to medium (2.5gb), and saving it to the desktop. It seems to be working, but it's not the desired result as my video was originally filmed in HD 1080p.

I suppose my only option would be to go back to a previous version of iMovie which is compatible with iDVD. Is that even possible?

Jan 14, 2015 1:36 AM in response to Whiteman1975

You cannot downgrade your version of iMovie as this is the version that IS compatible with OS X Yosemite.

The only way to go back to an older version of iMovie is to revert your OS down to OS X Mavericks.

If you have a backup or bootable backup clone of your OS X Mavericks PRIOR to upgrading to Yosemite, the reverting process will be quick.

If no bootable backup clone and just a Time Machine backup, then the reversion process to go back to OS X Mavericks becomes a much more involved.

Jan 14, 2015 2:22 AM in response to MichelPM

I have tried 'Sharing' as a 'file' and saving to an external hard drive (as I have only 3gb left on the Mac), but it keeps crashing halfway through - maybe to do with the size of the file (8.4gb)???? So then I tried lowering the movie quality to medium (2.5gb), and saving it to the desktop. It seems to be working, but it's not the desired result as my video was originally filmed in HD 1080p.

And no, it only converted about 10 minutes of it into an mp4 file, then stopped. And that was a low quality file too. So I'm up the creek....

Jan 14, 2015 3:20 AM in response to Whiteman1975

You need to have a LOT of hard drive space, either on the internal drive or on an externally connected drive to do any real video editing work as video editors save more than one copy of your movie while you are working on it in the editor.

You should not be trying to do video editing with marginal hard drive free space on your Mac's internal hard drive.

30-40 GBS of free space is very marginal if you are trying to do any type of video editing on your Mac

Your. Mac's hard drive should have, at least, 75 to 100 GBs of free hard drive space.

Here are some general tips to keep your Mac's hard drive trim and slim as possible

You should never, EVER let a computer hard drive get completely full, EVER!

With Macs and OS X, you shouldn't let the hard drive get below 15 GBs or less of free data space.

If it does, it's time for some hard drive housecleaning.

Follow some of my tips for cleaning out, deleting and archiving data from your Mac's internal hard drive.

Have you emptied your Mac's Trash icon in the Dock?

If you use iPhoto or Aperture, both have its own trash that needs to be emptied, also.

If you store images in other locations other than iPhoto, then you will have to weed through these to determine what to archive and what to delete.

If you are an iMovie/ Final Cut user, both apps have their own individual Trash location that needs to be emptied, too!

If you use Apple Mail app, Apple Mail also has its own trash area that needs to be emptied, too!

Delete any old or no longer needed emails and/or archive to disc, flash drives or external hard drive, older emails you want to save.

Look through your other Mailboxes and other Mail categories to see If there is other mail you can archive and/or delete.

STAY AWAY FROM DELETING ANY FILES FROM OS X SYSTEM FOLDER!

Look through your Documents folder and delete any type of old useless type files like "Read Me" type files.

Again, archive to disc, flash drives, ext. hard drives or delete any old documents you no longer use or immediately need.

Look in your Applications folder, if you have applications you haven't used in a long time, if the app doesn't have a dedicated uninstaller, then you can simply drag it into the OS X Trash icon. IF the application has an uninstaller app, then use it to completely delete the app from your Mac.

To find other large files, download an app called Omni Disk Sweeper.

http://www.omnigroup.com/more

Also, Find Any File

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

Download an app called OnyX for your version of OS X.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadonyx.php

When you install and launch it, let it do its initial automatic tests, then go to the cleaning and maintenance tabs and run the maintenance tabs that let OnyX clean out all web browser cache files, web browser histories, system cache files, delete old error log files.

Typically, iTunes and iPhoto libraries are the biggest users of HD space.

move these files/data off of your internal drive to the external hard drive and deleted off of the internal hard drive.

If you have any other large folders of personal data or projects, these should be archived or moved, also, to the optical discs, flash drives or external hard drive and then either archived to disc and/or deleted off your internal hard drive.

Moving iTunes library

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

Moving iPhoto library

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2506

Moving iMovie projects folder

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph2289

Good Luck!

Jan 14, 2015 4:55 AM in response to Whiteman1975

Whiteman1975 wrote:

And no, it only converted about 10 minutes of it into an mp4 file, then stopped. And that was a low quality file too. So I'm up the creek....

If you wan to burn to a DVD, the maximum resolution is 720 x 480. You aren't going to get 1080 HD on a DVD. That's not the spec.

You may be having trouble exporting the movie due to limited disk space on the startup drive. It is going to use the available space temporarily while it exports the Movie. It may be failing because it is running out of swap space on the drive.

iMovie 09, 11, and HD all still run under Yosemite. If you had any of them before the upgrade, they should be in an iMovie folder in your Applications folder.

All of those still export directly to iDVD, but as mentioned, you will never be able to create a 1080 HD DVD. If you then delete the source files, you will never again be able to create a 1080p movie.

If you want to keep the 1080 resolution, you need to just export it as a movie file in the size and quality you want to distribute. If you want a version that will play on a typical DVD player, you can do that, but the resolution will not be 1080p. To get that resolution on an Optical disk, you would have to burn to BluRay or HD-DVD, neither of which I know how to do, and would required different software and hardware.

You need to export the movie into 768x480 (or whatever is close). You then drop that movie into the iDVD window avoiding all Drop zones. When you choose to Share to File, you will need to scroll the right side of the dialog box to reveal the size and quality settings.

You will still need to clear space on your startup drive as iDVD will need the space to encode the movie into DVD format. Yes, it will be converted again.

I think your best bet will be to move the project to an external drive, then you'll have plenty of space on your startup drive for both iMovie and iDVD to encode the video.

Jan 14, 2015 1:35 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks Barney. I deleted all photos from iPhoto which freed up some space, then reduced the Resolution to the lowest setting of 854x480, but kept the Quality at High, and copied as a File to an external drive. The file ended up being 2.7gb - and worked!!!!

Thanks Barney and Michel for all of your help. Now I have an mp4 which I can burn to disc using iMovie.

How do you finalise a movie in iMovie 10.0.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.